Trial: Reshalian Empire v. Captain Sigma

Drache is the present-day capital of the Kingdom of Arangoth and lies at the mouth of the River Darian, surrounded by the city docks all along the waterfront. Click here for information on the various suburbs and areas of Drache. You can also click here to view a sketched map of the city.
Ayanula
Baron
Preferred Title: Scandalmonger
Characters: Aleah ul-Seyrod Dryksson
Idelle Habri (formerly Idelle Sarault)
Niran DeClan
Xadim Purok
Sajaad Talaes

Trial: Reshalian Empire v. Captain Sigma

Post by Ayanula »

The Honorable Aleah ul-Seyrod Dryksson allowed the parties to establish themselves comfortably before stepping into her chambers. A Corporal of the Civic Guard was there on hand as well to join the presiding magistrate.

"Alright," she began as she sat down and reviewed several documents that were set upon her podium. "I've gone over several of the written accounts regarding this case and have taken many of these statements into consideration as a basis for this trial. However, I want to make absolutely clear that in this room, your arguments will be considered straight testimony and will be subject to contempt and perjury charges if you are found to be overly-embellishing, fabricating, or otherwise stretching facts to obscure the evidence in this trial.

"More-so, I want it understood that any further attempts to petition another recusal without proper basis will not be looked upon favorably by the Chancellery. And should they be unsuccessful, it will be me - and not the Chancellery - that you will have to plead mercy with," the woman said quite sternly.

"Now, with that out of the way, I plan to hear primary arguments from both sides. Each of you will have one opportunity to state your case and offer any and all relevant information. Suppositions that are unfounded and cannot be proven should be left out. If I have to waste time weeding through manipulation, this is going to be a much speedier trial than either of you think. Once your statements have been made, I will allow a brief rebuttal on each behalf before ruling on this case."

Aleah shifted her focus between the two parties. "Seeing as to where the Reshalians are the plaintiff, I will allow them to make the initial arguments."
DahG
Esquire

Re: Trial: Reshalian Empire v. Captain Sigma

Post by DahG »

There was a chill in carriage ride over from the Black Dragon Inn. One that Major Ka`ana`ana didn't feel much impetus to break, his free tongue uncharacteristically still. For across from him, occupying the sanctity of the 'quarterdeck' of the post-chaise, was Lieutenant Alistair of HIMS Buttercup, and of course, Lord Admiral Mikhael Davis himself. Soldiers. Mageblades. Purebloods. The Major was none of these things, and never was it more obvious than beneath the subzero gaze of Mikhael Davis.

The Major wondered if Davis was thinking up ways to murder him. Most likely. At least Davis had honor, of a Reshalian sort. Ka`ana`ana felt completely assured that when that day came, at least he'd get fair warning before Davis starting boiling the water in his blood or whatever other grisly death his superior felt was warranted. To that, he couldn't but smile.

"For God's sake, put your teeth back in your mouth," Davis hissed, like he was waiting for the opportunity to say that. "You look like a braying horse. That charm may work on bumpkins and tavern fodder, but it finds no quarter here."

"Forgive me, Admiral," the Major said, and let his face relax. "I was simply swept up in a wave of enthusiasm for our future. I've heard quite the song about our new Magistrate."

Davis grunted, which was as close as he came to interest whenever Ka`ana`ana had mentioned anything about the trial.

Perhaps it wouldn't be water boiling in his veins. He never did quite understand the way Reshalian wildmagic operated even after all these years spent in their army fighting their battles. Perhaps Davis could suck the air from his lungs. Or create a pocket of microgravity. Maybe something to do with magnetics. The possibilities were endless. He fought the grin creeping back up on his face.

The carriage lumbered to a halt in front of the building devoted to the Chancellery. Each Reshalian was dressed to the nines in their full formal wear, the buttons of gold gleaming against Naval blue and Infantry black. While Ka`ana`ana and Alistair's uniforms were reasonably modest by military standards, the double-breasted dress coat worn by Davis sagged with the weight of epaulets and medals of a dazzling array of colors.

Davis clucked his tongue and batted at one of the offending medals that had twisted in the ride then spent a good minute fighting to get them all in order. It was the Major's idea to come in uniform. As a token of respect to the office of the magistrate, yes, but mostly just because he enjoyed watching Davis' love-hate relationship with his own pomp play out as live theater.

After enough fiddling the Lord Admiral gave up with a bitter curse and ripped one of the medals straight off his breast, sticking it into his pocket. "Don't even bloody remember what that one was for," he said under his breath. Then he leveled his gaze on Ka`ana`ana, a gaze so mired with bitter expectations the Major could taste the vinegar in the back of his throat.

It didn't need to be said. There was an agreement that Ka`ana`ana was to take the lead during the court proceedings, but it was an agreement hard fought. Davis would rather have set the sky alight than spend the next several hours playing the Major's game, and now that he was here the blame for all this trouble rested solely on the Major's shoulders, and no other's. Ka`ana`ana could only pray the Admiral wouldn't be called to testify, because he didn't think he'd be able to flee the resulting detonation in time borne strictly from the man's irrepressible ire.

With the Major at the lead, there was no heraldry that announced them as they arrived at the chambers of the Honorable Aleah ul-Seyrod Dryksson. None of the usual Reshalian bluster or bravado as they took their seats at the plaintiff's table. The Major had spent quite a bit of time studying this new Drache, this free Drache, and he had determined that their tolerance for aristocracy had only plummeted since throwing off their king. Best not to tempt fate. And they made absolutely certain not to so much as look the defendant or his counsel in the eye-- God help them if they dueled in the courtroom over another perceived slight.

When the magistrate arrived, they rose-- even Davis, as despite it all he still had a healthy respect for order, and the men and women who imposed it. Though he did look about ready to chew iron and spit bolts.

She laid out the rules. Then it was showtime. The Major smiled his cheshire smile.

"Your honor," he said, pivoting to stroll around the table and enter that open field where wars of words were made. "I make no attempt to hide it. I'm the sort of man with a reputation for beating around the bush. I like to talk, as anyone who has ever been in my company can attest. You find me at a bar I can guarantee you you'll find me flapping my gums until I'm hoarse, and why, I'll be talking about nothing important at all. It's just in my nature, I suppose."

He gave a chuckle and shrugged his shoulders, right before he grew serious. "I'm not here to beat around the bush today, your honor. The fact of the matter is, there are some very important things to talk about. We're here today because crimes have been committed, crimes against both my client," he said as he waved a hand towards the Lord Admiral, "...against the Reshalian Empire, and in fact against the people of Drache herself. Crimes that require justice to be served.

"I ask your honor not to let confounding variables lead us astray. There has been ill blood and unfortunate circumstances surrounding the details of this case, but the law itself is very clear. Plaintiff's counsel seeks to establish today that Captain Proculus Sigma has engaged in illegal activity in the seizure of the Reshalian naval vessal the HIMS Buttercup. That Captain Proculus Sigma harassed, degraded, and most impeded the lawful business of a diplomat. And that his threat of force from his airship The Last Place You Look after Resheel had already consented to a search was an illegal and dishonorable action-- like a mugger's knife in the dark."

The major turned and slowly circled away from the magistrate, and while his back was turned to her flashed that winning smile at every face sitting at the defendant's table. "But that's not really why we're here today, your honor. These terrible slights and injustices against our people are many-- claims that we do indeed press here today. But we are mighty, and are not so easily injured as that."

"No, we're here today to press the charge that Captain Proculus Sigma had no authority to engage in the policing of the Port to begin with. That the Azaani, foreign agents, entered into a compact that violates all standing laws and orders. Azaani that report to no authority but themselves." He paused and folded his fingertips, his gaze and his grin never wavering from the defendants, hidden from the view of the judiciary behind him. "I humbly ask the court: Is this what Drache fought for? To cede their liberties to the first gunship on the horizon?"

He finally made his way to the Reshalian table, and began arranging some of the documents he had brought. He pulled one parchment in particular out from the stack and held it up to the light. "What I have here, your honor-- and I shall produce a copy to enter into evidence though I'm certain you're far more familiar with it than I-- is a copy of the Arangothean Code of Law, more specifically Edict 30. An edict that is still the law of the land in the free city of Drache. It states, and I quote, 'The Arangothean Port Authority shall be under the authority of the Lord Admiral.'"

Tapping the document on the back of his knuckles, he turned, finally opening his face to Aleah. "I ask you, to whom does the Azaani report to? Has there been installed a proper system of governance, a checks and balances against the abuse of power-- and power it is, to control the trade to this fair city? I argue there is not. The law of Edict 30 has been violated by the Azaani.

"I continue from the document: The Port Authority has the power to search all vessels-- a search consented by my clients, your honor, for the record-- or the power to refuse entry. These are the only delineated powers as relates to incoming craft, and thus, Edict 30 is very clear. The Port Authority does not have the power to impound or seize any craft not accused of piracy. No accusations of piracy have been made, nor any entered into any statements written or otherwise, I would wager, for it is the truth. For two days the Azaani Captain held the HIMS Buttercup with threat of force. The law of Edict 30 has been violated by the Azaani.

"The fact of the matter is," he said, and swung around to point a large broad finger at the defense. "There was nothing legal about the actions undertaken by the Azaani Captain that evening. He violated Edict 30 on numerous occasions-- the very edict that he believes he is supposed to enforce. An edict he has no authority to enforce.

"He impeded the lawful passage of a diplomat before he even declared himself as this unauthorized member of the Port Authority. He presented no documents to verify his official status. To any sensible person he could have been mistaken for a thief-- which I argue he has been in the seizure of the Buttercup. And if he were a blackguard? Is Drache so free of crime that the impersonations of an officer never appear? He insulted and slandered a soldier, a man of honor who felt so injured he was compelled to defend his motherland. He summoned companions to aid in this unlawful detainment. The law, your honor, has been violated by the Azaani."

The Major let his chest collapse a bit, and shook his head, his billowing black hair shifting a half second behind him. He folded his hands over his waist, and returned to his place before the Magistrate. "Your honor, as I said. I like to talk. But I don't beat around the bush. This is too important for that. The law here is very clear, and I'm certain you see it as well. The Azaani Captain Proculus Sigma flagrantly violated these sacred institutions. We ask that no less than the full burden of justice be brought upon him, and that the Port Authority be returned to its rightful owners: The Drachean people. The people who respect the laws that are designed to protect them."

His arguments exhausted for now, he bowed from the waist and took two steps backwards before returning to his seat. As he leaned back in the chair half his face felt cold, and he was keenly aware of the frigid unflinching gaze from the Admiral at his side that made it so.
Alex
Knight

Post by Alex »

Sigma arrived by foot. He wore his usual red longcoat, a silk shirt in black beneath, snug leather trousers, and sturdy boots. Rank tabs on his collar denoted his rank among the Azaani Air Corps. He ran his mithril and wood prosthetic hand through his dark auburn hair, sighed, and seated himself.

Stormy grey eyes watched as the Reshalians entered and he remained impassive throughout the proceedings, offering a simple nod and "yes ma'am" as the Magistrate spoke. The impassive expression remained as the Reshalian testimony was given, and he only spoke when it was determined that it was his time to. First, he reached into an interior pocket of his coat and withdrew a sheet of parchment, neatly folded in thirds, and placed it on the desk.

"These are the papers identifying me as an officer of the Free City of Drache's Port Authority. Most of it's legal stuff I'm sure you're familiar with, so I won't go over it. Important thing is that it's my name on the top."

His prosthetic arm extended, one steel fingertip tapping lightly against the paper, indicating the place where, indeed, his name was written, along with various seals and signatures.

"So that takes care of the authority angle. As for who we, meaning those Azaani embedded with the Port Authority, report to, that'd be the Lord Admiral appointed by the Interim Council until the transition's done, like the Major says. The Port Authority belongs to Drache. Always has. So the Major's request in that regard isn't necessary."

He sat back in his chair, posture erect, shoulders relaxed.

"It's true that the search was consented to, though I'd approached without such an idea in mind. I should note that I identified myself as a city official as soon as I was allowed a moment to speak, contrary to the testimony given. The Admiral's bad attitude popped up from the get-go and he tried to brush by me before I'd had the chance. I was still willing to glance at his papers and send him on his way, mind you. Only after the Buttercup's commanding officer told me that carrying out my duties would be considered an act of war did I start to reconsider a simple chat and farewell. Then he used his magic to hit me across the face and that pretty much sealed the deal."

He scratched at his jawline and frowned.

"The Admiral's hostile attitude, various implications of a hostile military force, demands for a duel over insults that he himself dispensed with remarkable aplomb, and the assault upon a Crown official, which he's freely admitted to..."

He nodded, going down the list by counting them off on his fingers.

"...and when he mentioned that impounding her would be an act of war, that raised red flags. It's usually the best time to start sniffing around when people start mentioning things like an unrecognized foreign authority, for example, to avoid scrutiny. That goes double when they start saying things like 'fatal inquiry', to use the Admiral's words, when questioned. All factored into my decision to impound the craft for the city's safety, especially given her means of transdimensional travel and the Admiral's mention of filling the earth with craters, then filling those craters with marines, and...what was it...choking the oxygen out of the air itself."

He tilted his head back and regarded the ceiling for a moment, eyes narrowed, ensuring he didn't leave anything out.

"I think that about covers it. Whether my reaction to those things was justifiable or not is up to you, Magistrate."
Ayanula
Baron
Niran DeClan
Xadim Purok
Sajaad Talaes

Post by Ayanula »

As the Major made no attempt to hide his gabbiness, Aleah dispensed as well with the proper social guidance when she outright facepalmed. Long-winded arguments were sure to erode the time she was originally going to allot for this trial. When both parties were finished stating their cases, she made that clear.

"Originally, I stated that I was going to allow brief rebuttals on either side, but I think with the plethora of dialogue I got from the Reshalians, I'm good with moving forward without that phase," she explained, glancing down towards the paper she'd been taking notes on. "Now, on the issue of consent: There's really no issue. If you willingly consent to something, that erases any contention you have over claiming it to be illegal. If you consent to sex with someone else, you can't turn around and call it rape. So when you consented to Captain Sigma pilfering his way through your vessel, you made a verbal agreement allowing him to do so.

"The stronger argument here, which we're moving onto, is the detainment and impounding on behalf of the Azaani. So, looking at the laws, which you've already taken the time to provide a copy of," she acknowledged, glancing down to the evidence presented. "There's nothing in this about the delegated role for which the Interim Council has entered into an agreement with the Azaani. However, after doing my own research, that is indeed the case. They've been granted the authority to take appropriate action to enforce the regulations and laws of the Port Authority."

Aleah paused and pushed her notes aside.

"However," she said sharply as her eyes turned towards Captain Sigma, "the problem with that is the fact that the agreement doesn't explicitly outline a scope. And so you've been given quite a bit of latitude to take a wide array of measures into your own hands without consulting the government of Drache prior. This is a problem - just not one for this court to define. The judiciary is here to interpret law, rather than rewriting it."

Aleah turned again and addressed both parties. "So, the question of the Azaani's legal authority is not a matter of debate here. Reshalian vessels are subject to the same applicable laws that govern our ports and every ship that enters them. And as such, the Azaani have been granted the right to act in the manner by which they did this in case. However, that being said, I want to turn everyone's attention back to Edict 30 again, as we must now evaluate the elephant in the room."

Her attention honed in on Sigma at this point. "Captain, your actions do require more explanation, because there is quite a bit of difference between an inspection and a criminal search. The basis for a criminal search, such as your stopping the ship in the first place, must hinge upon the reasonable suspicion that a crime had either taken place or the ship was of a criminal nature. The keyword here is 'reasonable,' as this court will act to judge the legal precedent you used in this case. So please, explain to me just how you came to that conclusion."
Alex
Knight

Post by Alex »

Captain Sigma listened quietly as the Magistrate spoke, straightening slightly when he was addressed directly. Only when the Magistrate had finished speaking did he begin.

"Of course, ma'am."

He coughed and took a sip of the water he'd been provided, then began.

"First I'd like to point out the wording of Edict 30. 'It is the duty of the Port Authority to stop and inspect any ships attempting to enter any Arangothian port or harbor.' The nature of this inspection is fairly vague, and I've found that most circumstances allow for a brief conversation before the vessel is cleared. The simple fact is that it wasn't going to be any more than a verbal greeting and a brief discussion before I'd sent the Admiral on his way. When the Admiral's attitude became obviously hostile, I reconsidered and escalated to a search, informing him that the search would either be carried out with his permission or in the impound lot."

"Even then I was willing to leave it at the search, but then the Admiral used the term 'fatal inquiry' when referring to my questions. As the Admiral's responses continued to escalate, I began to suspect further malicious intent behind his visit, especially after he struck me."

"In short, given the Admiral's hostility, both verbal and physical, the implication that impounding his vessel would be considered an act of war rather than the natural course of escalation, and the capabilities of both the foreign military to which he is aligned and the vessel in which he arrived, I deemed it a reasonable course of action to isolate the vessel from the rest of the city to ensure the safety of the docks and the city until the vessel's true capability could be properly determined. I'd like to point out that we were able to make that determination in less than 48 hours, at which point we returned her to her berth."
Ayanula
Baron
Niran DeClan
Xadim Purok
Sajaad Talaes

Post by Ayanula »

"OK. So, what you're telling me is most of the basis for your initial actions was spite?" she asked with both eyebrows raised. "Now, I don't know how things are done in Azaan, but touchiness isn't factored into how we go about protecting our ports. There's a guidance for the Port Authority and it's in place for a reason. I would only assume that someone who's been entrusted with the enforcement of it would have at least attempted to read it. But for those with only the cliff-notes, I'll be happy to remind you that this is not Azaan, Captain. Swallow your god damn pride next time.

"As for the Reshalians," she turned her address, "I'd like to make it clear that regardless of whether or not someone is a patrician, slapping port officials or agents acting in the capacity thereof is the fastest way possible to be expelled before they even arrive. This kind of behavior is provocative and ill-advised when it comes to people who's egos are far bigger than your hand. As such, I'm not inclined towards either argument and find that the Azaani intrusion at least started with Drache's interests."

Her eyes stared daggers towards the Captain. "Though it certainly didn't end there, did it, Captain? Understand that I will be petitioning the Interim Council for a more clearly defined role that the Azaani play in the enforcement of the Port Authority's mission from here-on-out. While we appreciate foreign assistance in maritime affairs, that assistance should bear Drache's customs and not Azaan's. Especially when dealing with other foreign guests. I don't believe it was the intention of the Interim Council to give you the latitude necessary to just do whatever the fuck you want in our harbors. But they weren't clear enough, were they? And so that's on us. But I'm letting you know: Don't be found in here with these accusations all over again. Because that trial won't go like this one did."

She slowly stood up and gathered her papers. "The charges against Azaani Captain are dismissed and there will be no compensation forfeited to the Reshalians." Aleah glanced towards the plaintiffs. "To be honest: You're lucky he didn't toss that whole damn ship. If anything, that's been one of the more gentler searches that I've heard about in some time. I wouldn't even be surprised to hear rumors that they were wearing white gloves throughout."

To all parties: "Good day." And with little further bravado, the magistrate stepped down from her podium and exited the chambers along with the Corporal from the Civic Guard.
Alex
Knight

Post by Alex »

He bit his tongue as the urge to correct, to clarify, rose up in him. The verdict was delivered, however, and he found that it was to his satisfaction. Let the Free City's government clarify the scope of his involvement with the Port Authority. If it could prevent debacles like this from happening again, he'd be happy to put his name behind it.

The Magistrate ended the proceedings and he stood as she left. When the door shut behind her, Captain Sigma turned on his heel and left the chambers without another word, hopeful that this entire mess could be put nice and far behind him. He returned to his office in the airship dock and began once more to fill out paperwork.