Khalar quest 19.VII.487

Drache is the present-day capital of the Kingdom of Arangoth and lies at the mouth of the River Darian, surrounded by the city docks all along the waterfront. Click here for information on the various suburbs and areas of Drache. You can also click here to view a sketched map of the city.
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Khalar quest 19.VII.487

Post by laytrayin »

As the questors gather at a coffee house they would learn the following information (as taken directly from rp.). (Information can also be gleaned from Aridia off camera.)

[11:48] <Pig> "I'm the Khalar," said the fellow at the table, sizing up the big woman with his quick brown eyes. He shifted his glance towards the other arrivals. "Relax and have a seat. V... vorfon, a round of teas for everyone." He spoke with a moderate steppe accent. "My name is Ilderim Karn, of the Khtarpan tribe. But today, I speak for some other tribes as well. We have a problem in common."
[11:56] <Pig> "Yes, you will," he said to Uzzo. "I don't know how well you all know my people," he said, looking around the table. "But the great tribes rarely work so close together. We have great rivalry. It's our way. So when we are forced to come together, the problem must be serious. And it is." He sipped his coffee. "Councilwoman Aridia tells me that you are some of the best warriors that this
[11:56] <Pig> city has to offer. Drache adventurers' fame has spread far and wide. We need your help. To be short: a colossal storm raged across the steppe some fortnights past. During the storm, a creature appeared, big as a castle and ferocious as the elements that summoned it."
[12:00] <Pig> He reached into the bag under his chair, took out a parchment and unrolled it, laying it in the middle of the table. A godlike ram, with great curving horns, appeared in the illustration. Its cloudy breath formed into thunderheads and lightning lines were drawn as if to crackle around it. Unlike an ordinary ram, the extra spines, third eye in its nose-bridge, smoking hooves and other such
[12:00] <Pig> details made it appear more frightening, more alien than even Woolly the dire sheep.
[12:00] <Pig> "We think it is Klathrymagdon, the storm-god's chariot-puller, who got stranded in our domain. It has caused untold destruction. We must bring it down."
[12:14] <Pig> "It won't be easy," he said, chuckling at his own understatement, then growing serious. "Dozens of our best warriors, hunters and tamers will take the field against the beast. We came to get adventurers to reinforce us. I fear many may die, even if we are successful," he said. "People much wiser than me have pored over all the lore they could find and have come up with a plan of action."
[12:30] <Pig> "If it is indeed Klathrymagdon, or behaves just like him, he carries a... hmm." He translated a phrase in his head for a few seconds. "Tempest-spirit. He can project it into the world. We must cut off this connection, then gouge out the armor-flesh in six key vulnerable points on its giant body. When that is done, the beast's inner power should consume him from the inside, or at least
[12:30] <Pig> paralyze it long enough for us to use some kind of heavy machine or explosive to sever its head or drive a sharpened tree trunk into his heart."
[12:32] <Pig> "He is usually on the move," Ilderim continued, "So we have to catch up to him using our fastest horses. Then we must use hooks with strong rope to attach to his hide and climb up the body, then make our way to the head. Gods willing, if none of us are shaken off or electrocuted, we must sever the tips of his horns and jam some kind of anti-magic device into his third eye."
[12:37] <Pig> "Possibly, if it can stay with the eye and envelop it completely, while we handle the rest," he said to Aridia. "After that's done, we go for the vulnerable parts, which are marked on this parchment in red. We need to get deep enough into the flesh to expose the open nerve cords and sever them. If the nerve cords in all six locations are cut, victory will be ours. Or at least it will come
[12:37] <Pig> within easy striking distance."
[12:38] <Pig> He looked at Belekhmaa and opened his arms. "Bring what you wish, of course. Anything that you think will improve our odds. The adventurers here are known for doing things their way, it would be foolish of us to try to dictate what you can't do."
[12:41] <Pig> On the parchment, two nerve cords are on either side of the neck, one is in the middle of its ridged spine and another further down along the spinal column. One point is on the underbelly and the last one is on top of its head.
[12:54] <Pig> "The head will be hard to assault without electrical resistance," he said. "We came to Drache to find adventurers but also tools to help us in the magical markets here." He leaned back. "Some of our people will try to hold his attention while the rest scale the body and attack his vulnerabilities. We were hoping that you adventurers will be part of the climbing party." He nodded at the
[12:54] <Pig> conversation around him. "That's good. Anti-magic, healing and approaching from the air will all be useful. Klathrymagdon surges with tempest power, can shoot lightning from his mouth and horns and possibly control the wind and local weather. His tail is long and he might try to swat some of us with it. If you fall off and don't break something from the fall, you must get out of the way
[12:54] <Pig> of his hooves immediately, or you'll be crushed flat."
[12:57] <Pig> "To get to the nerve cords, you will need incredible strength..." He glanced at Belekhmaa. "...Or a powerful weapon. Or some kind of explosive device. Or all three."
[13:09] <Pig> "Maybe. To be true, none of us have attempted it yet," he said to Eliya. "Blasting-powders might be useful, yes. We can pool our money to try to reimburse you," he said to Uzzo. "Which brings me to the subject of compensation. We don't have nearly the funds needed to provide the kind of reward you adventurers are used to, from the stories I heard. But the beast's hide, bone, horn and maybe
[13:09] <Pig> other parts too, will make for unique and wondrous crafting materials. You can take as much as you want, within reason. Their cost on the open market alone should reimburse you handsomely for the risk."
[13:22] <Pig> "The people will be very grateful, especially the three tribes whose members are in the city now," he said. "It would create the foundation for a good lasting relationship with the reshaped Arangoth after the events of the wars between our people long ago."
[13:35] <Pig> "As soon as we find the materials we need in the market, now that we have our reinforcements," he said. "In the next couple of days." (in response to when to leave)
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.