Crystal Zombies and Dragon Attacks

Drache is the present-day capital of the Kingdom of Arangoth and lies at the mouth of the River Darian, surrounded by the city docks all along the waterfront. Click here for information on the various suburbs and areas of Drache. You can also click here to view a sketched map of the city.
HoneyBee
Preferred Title: HoneyBee
Characters: Kalome, Orynn, Growl, HoneyBeeWindDream

Crystal Zombies and Dragon Attacks

Post by HoneyBee »

Deep in the sub basement of the school, crystals were piling up. Thick iron bars, newly erected with freshly scraped fastenings separated that area of the room from the rest. Students from the magic college were on a rotation to guard the gate and maintain the spell barriers between the crystals from the rest of the room. Geologists and magic practitioners worked late into the nights to study the strange, glowing pillars that grew by the hour. All day long, new samples were being brought in from all over town and stored in the room.
Honeybee was growing bored. She watched the men and women looking like ants, crawling about on ladders leaning against tall book shelves, crafting tunnels through the mounting piles of literature on the floor, poring over books and always carrying around small samples of the rocks - carefully, of course.
"You're going to run out of space soon" she announced to the busy library.
A young wizard, annoyed with her constant interruptions shouted back "Then why aren't you helping us?! Do something, if you're as powerful and important as you say you are."
Honey examined her cigar, then brought it to her crimson lips for a light puff, immediately expelled in a smokey sigh. "I did help. I brought you Him" She indicated a cage in the corner of the library with the lit end of her cigar. There within sat a man, cross legged on the stone floor. From a distance it appeared he was holding a blue, glowing mass in his lap. His hands were in fact gone, absorbed by the crystalline structures that had entirely replaced his mid-torso. He showed no obvious discomfort with his position, in fact the only thing he'd done for days was sit and stare while the rock slowly consumed him.
"The unfortunate driver of a carriage. And there are more - many more. I'm dealing with those too" she uttered dispassionately.
The young wizard opened his mouth to deliver a retort, but an elder shook his head. They both returned to their work and ignored the sorceress.
A female geologist approached the woman with a stack of papers, she was utilitarian in dress with strands of grey, frizzled hair spraying from her otherwise neatly tied hair. "Miss, we need more information. You tell us this started with an object, but what is the object, anything about it would help?"
"I'm sorry madam, but you aren't privy to that knowledge" Honey delivered curtly.
"It would help us considerably" she pleaded.
"I've told you everything you need to know. I apologize" and she seemed like she really meant it "but it would be more dangerous if you knew."
"Dangerous for who?!" the angry young wizard shouted back, but he was quickly removed by a peer from Honey's piercing glare.
The geologist dismissed herself with a drawn out sigh, fingering through her papers as she went.
Honey reclined into a pile of books, bundled up in her long, extravagantly embroidered cloak of red and orange. It was there she fell off to sleep, completely unaware of the dragon that had begun attacking the city. The walls shook and screams rang out through the streets. Many of the mages working on the crystals were called out to defend the town.
A heavy somber note crept through the library, low and hushed as all unnecessary chatter died in lieu of the threat from above.
Last edited by HoneyBee on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.