Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Outside the city of Drache lies a number of cities, towns and provinces of varying size and populace. Most of the people living outside Drache are natives who speak Arangothian and observe the native customs and rituals. Click here for a list Arangoth's locales, and here to view a map.
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Lay's report 14.V.488

Post by laytrayin »

After spending a night being healed Lay moves from the healing tent on unsteady legs to find Lady Catherine and Uzzo. what she tells them is this:

When we approached the temple it seemed to -know- there were living things in the air even tho we had used the scrolls of invisibility to undead. The bell tolled twice on two seperate occasions tho the second time it seemed more as if something had bumped into it so there may be someone in the tower that can see us. When I crashed thru the Armoury to the ground floor the main skeleton in armour and tabard approached me after I was surrounded and tried to behead me (aside: thank god Sean came busting in then) he would give no quarter and almost beheaded me. If I think of more I shall report it.

Thinking of more later she adds:

The Black Armoury still has the weird warping shield to it. it can reach a distance out from itself. be very careful getting near it
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
laytrayin
Baron
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Aldenaxk Report 19.V.488

Post by laytrayin »

[10:39] <Aldenaxk> "Well. A missing eye for one. But seriously. We found the draugr Hall. Which I believe we should put in priority over the armory."
[10:40] <@LayTrayin> where is it and what other info have you?
[10:45] <Aldenaxk> He takes out his copy of the map of the city, and marks a spot. "We saw it right around here. As for the info, there are multiple korthai captains, undead ones, wandering that area. I managed to kill one of them. Whenever one of them die, some of the draugr, likely their former crew, instantly die as well. They're the source of the draugr, what keeps them walking. We kill those captains, we automatically take care of the draugr."
[10:47] * @LayTrayin looks at th emap and nods as she listens to alden. finally she looks up at him and speaks gently "any other information?"
[10:51] <Aldenaxk> "The captains I saw, one was an elf....get this. Tell me this doesn't sound familiar for some reason. An elf dual wielding scimitars. One was a giant half ogre. The last one was a red headed lady, with a black cutlass and a bunch of exploding crossbow bolts. She also had an exploding parrot. She could send it flyin at ya, and halve it explode, then it can regenerate itself and repeat." He shivers. "S'what I lost me eye to."
[10:52] * @LayTrayin nods and frowns a moment then looks to alden "anythign else?"
[10:52] <Aldenaxk> "Not that I can think of, unless ye have any questions?”
[10:53] <@LayTrayin> "i heard there was a flying horse seen?" speaking softly she eyes him
[10:54] <Aldenaxk> "On the champion of rot, aye. He's a difficult thing to deal with. Uses anti magic...though I ain't sure how he uses a flying horse with anti magic. Ain't no way a horse can physically fly without magic, even with wings."
[10:55] * @LayTrayin perks a brow and mutters softly "i fly wihtout magic. anythign else?"
[10:55] * @LayTrayin perks a brow and mutters softly "i fly wihtout magic. anythign else?"
[10:55] <Aldenaxk> "Aye, but you don't weigh as much as a horse. I don't think."
[10:56] <@LayTrayin> horses weigh less than dragons and they fly
[10:56] <Aldenaxk> "It's all about body proportion. Anyways, nah. I ain't got nothin else to add."
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
laytrayin
Baron
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Uzzo's Report 19.V.488

Post by laytrayin »

[12:12] * Uzzo pauses for a few moments before replying in that always flat, even manner of speech he uses, no semblance of emotional quality attached to it, so it's always difficult to discern where his opinion on matters lay with such deadpan content, "Too much effort, if we're being honest. As far as there being anything you can do before you leave, I ask that you inform the others fully of the --
[12:12] <Uzzo> -- details as to what transpired the other evening." Another pause is given before several of those tendrils reach out, touching upon the heavy metal horseman's lance sitting on the ground in front of him, "It seems Aldenaxk and Tespin VonHess left out the fact there was a third member of that expedition the other night, one of their own they left to die, simply watching and fleeing with --
[12:12] <Uzzo> -- their tails between their legs as the Champion of Rot cornered him and ran him through with this lance." A light tap is given to the lance in question resting before him, "I endeavored to rectify the consequences of their cowardice. Adaliz, was the young boys name I believe. The Champion dragged him to the Horrid Polpy, intending to feed him to it, to empower and reinforce The Dark with --
[12:12] <Uzzo> -- another fallen, corrupted adventurer. I stole the Champion's prey from him, and attempted as best I could to destroy his corpse before it could arise against us, I believe I was successful in that extent where destroying his corpse was concerned, however, I cannot verify that as much as I would like. The Champion of Rot was very displeased, as you may imagine, hence my current state after a --
[12:12] <Uzzo> -- short battle with him. I was able to knock his steed out of the sky, and him along with it, but it will serve as only a temporary set back before both are back up to their fullest and prowling the streets and skies once again." (End)
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator
Characters: Uzzo, Welkith`Quarek, Weiss(?), Tiny`Spider

Mhernettla Update 23.V.488

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

Devoted Templar of Mexnvan, Marius Kyshrin, challenged the Champion of Rot to single combat, in which he was able to injure the aforementioned combatant. Although he fought valiantly, he eventually succumbed and fell to The Dark forces that permeate the accursed city.

Through the combined efforts of Tannhauser, Father Hurnuth, Tespin Mairead and Floxod Uzzo, the Champion of Rot was summarily struck down and slain, along with a pair of Watchers and the fallen Templar Marius.

This is the first reported entry of intel upon the Watchers, as thus far no (surviving) expedition has come into contact with them to garner any information.

The Watchers are gargoyles of seemingly animated stone, with terrible winged reptilian'esque forms. Observed abilities are as follows:
- Flight
- Claw and tail attacks
- A linear breath weapon comprising of superheated plumes of near molten rock

Precautions should be undertaken to contend with these potential hazards during interactions with these entities.
laytrayin
Baron
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Mab's sotry as reported by Mairead 23.V.488

Post by laytrayin »

Mairead penned this story as told to her to Lady Catherine to be told to the rest of the camp:

My sisters and I heard the pleas of the people of this town in years past, and the lord's plea was touching. So we searched far and wide for something that might help. Each of us brought one gift, asking only that we be allowed to make our home here. Sister Hen brought a ring, fabeled to hold an entity that could grant wishes. Old Scarthey brought a sealed chest with something she obtained from one of our cousins in the Elgar. And I brought a stone that an alchemist had made for me. My sisters each went to present their gifts, and none of them returned before that disaster came through. I was forced to use the stone to survive what went on. Although it allowed me to do so, I found myself unable to go far from town without gradually weakening. I think whatever happened affected the stone. Regardless, Harlst had made a promise to us to grant a place to live if we found a way to end the plague, and it is ended now.
Gudrun
Operator
Preferred Title: Gudrun
Characters: Gudrun, Cnidaryx, Naedys, Perldosia Quarek, Yam, Fah Trah, Guy, Belekhmaa, Udanys and Ulanyx

Vision from Authbrex's sword, 23.V.488

Post by Gudrun »

Hurnuth wrote down, in meticulous detail, visions he had from Authbrex's perspective of the downfall of Mhernettla. He spreads this information around the encampment:
<•Ravynetti`Tivaurd> Ravynetti Tivaurd That visions would come more slowly. Sometimes in snippets, some times more drawn out. A court about the keep, deaths in town mounting from a mysterious disease, and then the arrival of potential cures. Throughout it all, Sir Authbrex stood by his lord, seeing to his safety and hearing of his troubles. At first, apothecaries and healers within the town itself tried and failed to cure
8:59 PM things, and Harlst himself was understanding of their failures, but as those failures mounted, he grew more cynical with each offered cure. And then, some time into the crisis, Harlst's wife, herself of the seagoers' descent, was stricken with the illness. At this point, he grew more desparate, and called forth a priest by the name of Mackey, who was said to be able to go so far as to bring
8:59 PM the dead back to life. When he failed to cure Harlst's wife, the lord had him put to death as an example. A week or more passed, and the lord grew increasingly crueller to those who failed to cure either his wife or anyone with the disease. Authbrex himself tried to temper the growing derangement, but came close on some few occasions to being cast out of the court himself. Resolving to
8:59 PM protect his lord to the end, and if he failed, to at least try to bring some order to the town itself. Authbrex eventually heard of three fae sisters, who had brought their own attempts at a cure forth. Authbrex set to receive them, one by one, knowing that his lord's wife had but hours left. First was a woman of middling age, who presented a ring said to grant wishes. When Harlst donned
8:59 PM it, a being of flame appeared before them.
9:03 PM Standing before the gathered, the fiend demanded to know his wishes. At this point, a counsellor entered, bearing news, but impatient, Harlst demanded he wait. Then Harlst addressed the fiend, and wished first that no one in mhernettla succumb to the plague from that day forth. The fiend simply nodded, and spread its hands, and said it would be done. Nothing visible happened, and fretting,
9:03 PM Harlst finally demanded to know from the counsellor what had happened. It is then that the counsellor admitted that the Lady had perished but minutes before. It was all that Authbrex could do to restrain the distraught lord from murdering the counsellor on the spot.
<•Ravynetti`Tivaurd> Ravynetti Tivaurd The fiend demanded to hear Harlst's second wish, and Harlst, enraged, then turned upon the fiend. He wished that the fiend would remain bound and tormented, as long as he himself was. Chains of odd design sprung forth from the floor at that, and began to bind the fiend, and even as they did, the fiend demanded Harlst make his third wish. The lord refused, however, intending to leave it
9:09 PM unspoken, so the fiend had to remain. It was then that the old crone who had accompanied her younger sister spoke up, and told Harlst she had something that could give life everlasting, and could be used even to foil the gods' will. Authbrex warned against such blasphemy, but at that point the champion was pushed aside, and Harlst demanded to see the crone's gift. She procured a small chest,
9:09 PM perhaps a foot wide, and less than six inches on either side. It was bound with gold leaf, and had an image of a rising sun burned into the wood.
<•Ravynetti`Tivaurd> Ravynetti Tivaurd At that point, the bells of the temple began to toll, for one of the counsellors had told the priests there news of the passing of the lord's wife. Every ring seemed to bear down on Harlst, until the final one, at which point the lord took the box up, and wrenched it open. Within lay what looked like a twisted, blackened shard of metal. Maybe four inches in length, a half inch wide, not
9:15 PM a blade so much as a fragment of something that had shattered entirely. Almost immediately upon being exposed to air, the metal began to drink in the light. Authbrex ran forth to try to wrest his lord away from the box, but by then it was too late. Auras of shadow began to rise, from Harlst, from the chained fiend, from the crone and her sister, and then from others, to a lesser degree.
9:15 PM They flared forth, and when they touched the tiny fragment of metal, the scene plunged into darkness. No more visions then can be had from that sword, until the next one is just the sword resting there on the battlefield, with the fallen Marius and Authbrex.
Pigasus
Baronet
Preferred Title: Setting Whisperer

Re: Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Post by Pigasus »

1.VI.488

With the Grace of God, a force of mages and fighters destroyed the foul abomination named the Tide of Woe. The bone storm, whilst amorphous, had at its core an ebon Sphere, which was exposed by means of wind blasts. It was then cleft asunder with the strikes of my blessed blade, a clay holy water arrow, and the combined energies of the mages. The Sphere exploded with a most unholy scream. While its corruption still haunts this town, its shards should trouble us no more.

Ere its death, the swarm rolled over us. Some of the fighters were injured by the flying bones but made a full recovery. The bard, Iymlokar Torani, having not been briefed on the dangers of teleportation magic, disappeared to an unknown place and must be presumed dead and ready to rise unquiet against us.

Besides Teleportation, I have observed that any spell that ruptures the ground unleashes a dark Miasma, which is harmful to all pure living beings. Mages must cast no spells that shatter the ground and release the evil energies underneath, until the keep had been claimed and pacified.

All involved exceeded satisfactory expectations, fighting with unity, discipline and valor. However, some unit cohesion issues appeared early in the mission, and must be taken into account when assembling future forces.

By my hand,

Ware of-Broxobain Severn, Viscount of Ravendusk, Lord Protector of the Transdarian
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator

Re: Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

Uzzo'd traversed the perimeter of the walls and collected information concerning the types of troops stationed upon them, their numbers, as well as their schedules and patrol shifts. He'd verified that a building in the northeast had been demolished and replaced, from beneath, most likely due to those tunnels under the city, was what he could only assume was the location of the true 'Draugr Hall'. He'd verified that the Black Armoury has not only recovered in some degree from its previous bombardment against it, but that it's also moved out of the southwestern sector of the city near the Temple and Keep and moved further northwest into it. Speaking of the Temple, he was also able to verify that there appeared to only be two remaining Watcher's left stationed upon it. The remaining information he accumulated concerned rough estimates of draugr, undead knight and draugr movements on the ground within the streets themselves, which he'd so kindly reproduced upon a copy of one of his city maps so it could be distributed properly to the encampment at large.
Gudrun
Operator
Preferred Title: Gudrun
Characters: Gudrun, Cnidaryx, Naedys, Perldosia Quarek, Yam, Fah Trah, Guy, Belekhmaa, Udanys and Ulanyx

Attack on Draugr Hall, partial account of encounter with Thing in the Harbor, 1.VI.488

Post by Gudrun »

Hurnuth gives this account of his venture into Mhernettla against the draugr and undead Korthai captains. He'd offer this to Catherine and Ware, and also post the information for public consumption as well.
Aldenaxk initially grouped people together to head into town with the aim of taking on the Draugr Hall. The group started easily enough into the city through the breach then towards the last seen location of a building made of debris and flotsam. After observing for a while, I threw a rock then stepped out to engage draugrs posted outside a nearby building. After more of those enemy types poured out, the Raiders Retreat building rose up and canons emerged from windows to fire upon us. The group valiantly fought against draugrs. Then I and two others, I believe a half-giant and Aldenaxk, focused attacks on one of the Korthai captains -- the one who appeared to be a half-ogre, who turned to ash upon contact with the blessed water of the aspergillum I wield. Others took on the flotsam building itself, with detonations used to destroy it and the female Korthai captain. The ooze in the harbor was disturbed and came onto the land. That is when I made my retreat with a few others. Some remained to deal with the thing from the harbor. My way back to camp was through the eastern part of town as much of it started burning after I heard more explosions from where the ooze had been rushing on land like a tidal wave. The smoke of this fire was tainted with The Dark which paladins and others worked to remove from those infected.

All in all, two Korthai captains were definitely destroyed, along with the draugrs they commanded. I can only surmise that the black ooze-like thing in the harbor is now burnt to a crisp. More details are necessary, which may come from those who engaged with the thing in the harbor.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator

Re: Follow-up Update

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

As a matter of a follow-up update upon Priest Hurnuth's exposition:

While the expedition force moved to tackle Draugr Hall, I decided to serve as overwatch upon Mhernettla's walls. When the initial fighting broke out I observed the remaining Watcher's take flight from the Temple, after its bell rang to signal intruders. I initially suspected the pair of Watchers intentions were to assault the expedition team in the city, so I took to the sky to intercept them and serve as a distraction and deterrent to keep their attentions off of the group.

However, the Watcher's immediately retreated to the skies above the Keep and remained there. The reasoning as to why became clear as Charlatan Priest Mackey (or rather, the abomination formly known as Mackey) exited the Keep and moved into its courtyard. Multiple followers of Mackey also joined up with him in the courtyard, the Acolytes themselves heavily muscled figures that were wreathed in flames and wearing bone masks. Mackey himself appeared to have portions of the wooden beams that were likely utilized when Harlst had him executed and burned at the stake.

These entities, and Watchers included, made no move from the Keep grounds itself, so my attentions turned back towards the waterfront, at which point The Thing Under the Dock had begun moving out of the water and washing itself up onto the shore, intent on over running the position of the expedition team at Draugr Hall. The attack I unleashed upon the Thing Under the Docks served to severely wound it, and resulted in quite extensive collateral damage to the eastern portion of the city, and the entity was finished off soon thereafter as the expedition team made its retreated from the walls of Mhernettla.