Arangothian Standing Army

Discussion of the various things regarding the setting itself, such as large changes to culture, politics or geography.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Preferred Title: Marog the Destroyer
Characters: Aezra
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

Re: Arangothian Standing Army

Post by Nymphetamine »

Didn't think anyone was thinking this is what the SSA was going to go do. (Isn't SSA a real acronym for something else?) I just wanted information on what sort of army Arangoth had because someone in channel was asking about it. I know, at some point, Jason/Heldanbrand had a platoon of dragoons or something like that for his chara, Dawes. I don't remember the details too much on that, though.

Not entirely sure what Thalion wanted with the info on the SSA, but here it is for the most part. It'll make it to the Wiki at some point or another, I'm sure.
Alex
Knight

Post by Alex »

I'd like to wait and see what Mark can come up with. If there's a precedent for something like this then it would make sense to use it. If not, enlisting a few interested players like Thalion and others to contribute to the development would be a great idea, IMO. I'd like to make the military something players can get involved with, with two provisions.

1) it doesn't become a clique and dilute the market, so to speak.
2) it doesn't become an avenue for players to throw their IC weight around. We've seen that end badly before.
3) it doesn't become a large group of Navy SEAL Ranger First Recon Black Ops Delta Force Special Division Elite troopers sitting around talking about how elite they are.

As long as that works, giving the players an avenue like this to get involved in the settin more directly could be a great idea. A lot of players are interested in the Royal Guard for the same reason.
Tagert
Setting Nerd

Post by Tagert »

Here are the notes as provided to me (from JD) on 12/12/2008:
Ranks:

Erixk - general, commands multiple regiments
Sinsithdiggire - colonel, commands a regiment
Sisikdiggire - major, commands a battalion
Sindiggire- captain, commands a company
Golsindiggire - lieutenant,
Orgod - cornet, ensign
Netrod - sergeant
Apsimbrod - corporal
Simbrod - soldier, private

Special duties:

tarrad - bugler
lallire - healer
pallod - magician
dretod - scribe, clerk
darmod - purser, paymaster

Units:
Infantry:
sinsithdiggo - a thousand together, regiment of infantry
sisikdiggo - five hundred together, battalion
sindiggo - a hundred together, company
Cavalry:
sangliodair - order of knights, regiment of cavalry
dixat - banner, squadron of cavalry
Artillery:
dasarnair - a group of obliterators, (obliterati?) regiment of artillery
quex - half, battery of artillery

Types/specifications:
banhestunxeth - the ordinary foot, the regular infantry
banhestunxe - ordinary foot, line infantry (1st Banhestunxe)
simbrodel - “soldiers” - soldiers
bontrirel - “leapers” - skirmishers
gaptirel - “breakers” - grenadiers
Nabatunxeth - the light foot, the light infantry
Nabatunxe - “light foot” - light infantry (a la 1st Nabatunxe)
gakendodel - “hunters” - hunters (soldiers of light infantry)
branthirel - “guides” - scouts (skirmishers of light infantry)
alfrinairodel - “foresters” - rangers (grenadiers of light infantry)
Sangliodairoth - “the cavalry”
Sangliodair-ul-Galebra - “armored cavalry” - cuirassiers
Sangliodair-ul-Penta - “middle cavalry” - dragoons
Sangliodair-ul-Lagra - “lance cavalry” - lancers (ul-lagri, ul-dixta?)
Sangliodair-ul-Naba - “light cavalry” - hussars
Dasarnairoth - “those who obliterate ” - “the artillery”
Dasarnair-ul-Sangli - “horse artillery”
Dasarnair-ul-Tunxe - “foot artillery”
Dasarnair-ul-Pallat - “magic artillery”

Composition/arms and armor:

Infantry:
1 regiment of 800-1000 = 2 battalions 400-500 = 10 companies 80-100
4 companies - 75 pike/25 halberd, short sword, and half-armor
4 companies - 75 crossbow/25 arbalest, short sword, and half-armor
1 company - mixed heavy weapons and three-quarters armor (grenadiers)
1 company - crossbows/composite bows, short swords, and half armor (skirmishers)

Cavalry:
1 regiment 300 = 2 squadrons of 150 = 4 companies of 75
Cuirassiers - heavy sword, shield, crossbow, and three quarters or full armor
Dragoons - saber, crossbow, and half armor
Lancers - lance, saber, and light armor
Hussars - saber, crossbow/composite bows, and buff coat or no armor

Artillery:
1 regiment 200 = 2 batteries of 100 = 5 heavy mangomels or 10 light mangonels

Order of Battle:

Unit: Status: Garrison Strength Rating

Infantry:
1st Nabatunxe (Light infantry) Active Hoganth 100% A
2nd Nabatunxe Training Nilik 50% B
1st Banhestunxe (Line infantry) Active Slifrahorna 100% B
2nd Banhestunxe Active Shatral 80% C
3rd Banhestunxe Training Slifrahorna 50% D
4th Banhestunxe Forming Shatral 25% F

Cavalry:
1st Sangliodair-ul-Penta (Dragoons) Active Gathritana 90% B
2nd Sangliodair-ul-Penta Training Gathritana 50% D
Sangliodair-ul-Lagra (Lancers) Active Slifrahorna 100% B
Sangliodair-ul-Naba (Hussars) Active Slifrahorna 100% D

Artillery:
Dasarnair-ul-Sangli (Horse artillery) Active Gathritana 100% C
Dasarnair-ul-Tunxe (Foot artillery) Active Slifrahorna 100% D
Dasarnair-ul-Pallat (Magic artillery) Active Slifrahorna 100% F

Misc:
Elgar Guards Active Slifrahorna 100% A

A - All veteran officers, mostly veteran soldiers
B - Mostly veteran officers, some veteran soldiers
C - Some veteran officers, some veteran soldiers.
D - Few veteran officers, few veteran soldiers.
F - No veteran officers, no veteran soldiers

Slifrahorna - located outside Drache, Drache’s garrison.
Gathritana - located near Bralk Lakrath, suppression of Ruthmarman bandits.
Nilik - located on the edge of the Elgar, training for light infantry
Hoganth - located on the Assi border, suppression of Assi bandits.
Shatral - Sresar Vale, Sresar garrison.

Some translations:
Golsindiggire “under captain”
Orgod, messenger
Netrod, axeman
Apsimbrod, over soldier
Simbrod, soldier
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

This was more or less what I was waiting on Mark to deliver--less his stuff on Arania, but I remember enough of that. I'll try to crank out a wiki-able thing tomorrow-Monday for y'all to give feedback on.
geth
Knight

Post by geth »

Might want to include the changes in the Border Watch from the Weston (Border Guard) era to the Watch under Mistwinter to however it ended up under Brian; particularly that shift from fairly independent operators with a very 'fuck factional politics' stance to the sort of stance that let them support a coup. JD and I discussed this of course, but since he's leading the wiki, I just wanted to drop this note. ;)
AsurKat
Esquire
Characters: Samira
Nauranor
Karys
Saraia
Aislinn

Post by AsurKat »

I still have several emails in regards to what JD sent me on the SAA as it stood, plus the finalized notes on the all female regiment we were toying around with. If you need those just lemme know.

I do believe we got away from the strike force type idea for the female regiment and made them primarily archers and swift light cavalry for running messages and such.
AsurKat
Esquire
Characters: Samira
Nauranor
Karys
Saraia
Aislinn

Post by AsurKat »

Original Army Info as provided by JD:

Infantry:
1 regiment of 800 - 1000 = 2 battalions 400 - 500 = 10 companies 80 - 100
4 companies - 75 pike/25 halberd, short sword, and half-armor
4 companies - 75 crossbow/25 arbalest, short sword, and half-armor
1 company - mixed heavy weapons and three-quarters armor (grenadiers)
1 company - crossbows/composite bows, short swords, and half armor (skirmishers)

Infantry
1st Nabatunxe (Light Infantry) Active - Garrisoned in Hoganth, 100% strength
2nd Training - Garrisoned in Nilik, 50% strength
1st Banhestunxe (Line Infantry) Active - Garrisoned in Slifrahorna, 100% strength
2nd Banhestunxe Active - Garrisoned in Shatral, 80% strength
3rd Training - Garrisoned in Slifrahorna, 50% strength
4th Forming - Garrisoned in Shatral, 25% strength

Calvary:
1 regiment of 300 = 2 squadrons of 150 = 4 companies of 75
Cuirassiers - heavy sword, shield, crossbow, and three-quarters or full armor
Dragoons - saber, crossbow, and half-armor
Lancers - lance, saber, and light armor
Hussars - saber, crossbow/composite bow, and buff coat or no armor

Cavalry
1st Sangliodair-ul-Penta (Dragoons) Active
2nd Training
Sangliodair-ul-Lagra (Lancers) Active -
1st Sangliodair-ul-Nabu (Hussars) Active
2nd Forming/Training (This is the all female regiment)

Artillery:
1 regiment of 200 = 2 batteries of 100 = 5 heavy mangomels or 10 light mangonels

Artillery
Dasarnair-ul-Sangli (Horse artillery) Active
Dasarnair-ul-Tunxw (Foot artillery) Active
Darsarnair-ul-Pallat (Magic rtillery) Active

Misc
Elgar Guards Active

Locations:
Slifrahorna - outside Drache, Drache's garrison
Gathritana - located near Bralk Lakrath, suppression of Ruthmarman bandits
Nilik - located on the edge of the Elgar, training for light infantry, supression of monsters
Hoganth - located on the Assi border, suppression of Assi bandits
Shatral - located in teh Sresar Vale, Sresar garrison

The new female Regiment we worked on ended up, I am fairly sure, like this:

2nd Sangliodair-ul-Naba ~ 2nd Hussars ~ aka the Flying Bowyers

led by Colonel Rixte ul-Tatarn Ruthmire (the former Treasurer I think JD said..)

Regiment = 300 ~ Green Battalion (150) ~ Black Battalion (150)
Company A (75) Company B (75) Company C (75) Company D (75)
Mnt. Ranged -25 Skirmishers - 25 Mnt. Ranged - 25 Valkyries - 25

Uniform & Insignia:
The uniform of the 2nd Hussars are kept relatively simple with a black tunic in either long or short sleeves with a green armband on the left sleeve. Embroidered on the armbad would be a green shield bordered in black with a black Vol (pair of wings) within. Pants are black with green piping down the sides. Black leather boots are standard, worn on outside of the pants.
Rank is embroidered in black below the Unit Patch.
Insignia of the individual units is embroidered on the right sleeve fo identification purposes. The patch is a black cirlcle with a green border and the following symbol in a green color scheme dependant on the individual's unit:
Ranged: Arrow
Valkyrie/Melee: Sword
Scout/Skirmisher: Pheon (Spear Head)

Overall the main priority of the 2nd Hussars is to provide mobile, ranged support in combat. Their secondary role is to provide protection to important persons and locations. Ie: visiting dignitaries, diplomats, nobility. At any given time, one lance from each company is assigned to "bodyguard" duties.
Every woman is, first and foremost, a ranged archer. The melee unit is only called to the frontlines to fight on foot when the additional numbers are needed, otherwise they serve as rangedarchers like the rest of the regiment. The scouts/skirmishers are just that, utilizing faster and hardier horses to run information between various army units and, if needed, to break through enemy lines to collect information, rescue hostages, ect. Otherwise, they too serve as ranged archers.
KnightErrant
Esquire

Post by KnightErrant »

Here's my two cents. Granted this is just me thinking out loud as to the organization and composition of the armies. I think the flavor is highly dependent on the geographical setting. For example, what do Drachians consider themselves proud of rather than folk from the Saesar vale, or song deep? What would the environment of each group give them the opportunity to practice and develop special skills that the others would not have?

Based on some of what I have been reading, and what I have learned about the differences between North and South Arangoth, I just wanted to lay out a few ideas that make sense to me about the armies. I am using the premise that like other medieval-ish kingdoms a large standing army of any kind was impossible to maintain. In our own history, it was not until an absolute monarchy arrived that had consolidated the state by undermining the power of the old feudal nobility that standing armies became the norm, or if you go back far enough, the legions of Imperial Rome.
From what I understand of Arangoth, the north is more feudal, while the south reminds me more of the free-towns and cities, say of northern Italy or the Flemish merchant town. Here is how I would break down the military organization based on that premise.

Feudal Lord/King -------- > Private Retinue (Knights & Men At-arms)
\ ----------------- > Lord/King’s Vassals ------- > Their Private Retinues (Knights & Men At-arms)
\ ------------ > Feudal Levy: Basically a hodge-podge of troops, to fill various roles, everything from scouts to arrow fodder. These would only be called up during a period of actual war, as they would soon start abandoning a prolonged war to go back to their homes. Depending on the societal structure, you could have a difference between Yeoman Levy, and a Serf levy. Yeoman are men who own their own farms, free-men, basically. They would be slightly better equipped, and certainly have better moral. Serfs would be squatters, renters, or debters who lived on a nobles land. Military roles might be divided along these lines.
Yeoman: Harder to maintain Yeoman loyalty, since they are more free to leave.
1) Better organized companies of bowmen
2) Better organized company of infantry (spear & shield or various forms of polearms).
3) Scouts (Hunters and woodsmen) also could be formed into small units of skilled archers.
Serfs:
1) Poorly trained archer companies, fire in volleys, low training.
2) Poorly armed infantry fighting en-mass with large amounts of crude polearms and spears. Would have few quality weapons such as swords. Close up melee weapons would be more like clubs, hand axes, and farming tools.

Knights are fairly easy to imagine. The Men-at-arms would basically be a small, but professional force of well equipped soldiers each loyal to a knight or feudal lord who employes them. The more land a knight or fuedal lord owns, the more men-at-arms he can afford to keep at his service. These men would be castle garrisons and otherwise enact the laws of the land in peace times. Depending on the lords preferance he might train them up to be mostly heavy-crossbowman (good for defending castles) pole-arm troops, sword-and shield, or even mounted troops to support the knights in battle.

The military capabilities of South-Arangoth I think would look a good bit different. I think it would depend on a militia system.

Basically there would be four tiers to this military system:

1) Royal Guard: Again the small, but professional core of any army. Well trained and prepaired for war, but act to keep the peace in normal circumstances. First line of defense during a sneak attack.
2) Merchant Class (Bourgeoisie): These men would have a mixed amount of training ranging from possibly excellent to none at all. What they do have is money, and as such are able to afford good arms and armor. They would fight for the locale if it was severely threatened, seeing as a destructive and invading enemy would destroy the market for their goods. They could form up into fairly well organized company of infantry or cavalry with good equipment.
3) City Levy Militia: City militia would probably be a semi-trained group. By that I mean they might train quarterly or even annually. They would receive the bulk of their equipment from city armories and most likely be formed into cross-bow or pole-arm / pike infantry companies. These would form the bulk of any war-time standing force. Their training, moral and equipment would depend on a variety of factors. For example, their training requirements could be stepped up if war seems likely. Another option is that the City Levy Militia is on a rotation system, with say 1/10 of the total force standing at ready and training for a period of time, then they go back to their normal crafts and jobs and a different tenth of the Levy Militia is called up for active duty. This way, over time, you have a fairly well trained force, and you only have to pay for 1/10 of it at a time. In times of war, all companies would be called to active duty.
4) Country Militia Levy: These troops would come from the surrounding country side of any city or town unaffiliated with any noble. They would be the most irregular of the above fighting forces, and their equipment would be more highly dependent on their lifestyle. Hunters and woodsmen would be in small companies of bowmen, or axe men if they are foresters. Small hamlets and villages would probably form small companies of spearmen, which are the easiest weapons to make.

Note on special units: I have excluded writing about special units on purpose. What I have attempted to do is show that the types of troops of any less centralized medieval-ish society depends greatly on social class and geographical area those people would come from. For example, you don’t recruit heavy infantry units from forests usually, as the type of people who live there would not have a lifestyle to support being a heavy infantryman.

I do think there are cases where special units exist. For example border-watch or ranger units and light-cavalry units could operate as a type of proto-special forces to keep the peace and help handle situations that do not require calling up the war-levy. These forces would probably have more precarious funding, and would probably operate on a contractual basis with the mayors of certain locations or receive the patronage of wealthy nobles and merchants. This would make them closer to mercinaries, but as they are drawn from the local popuation they would be more loyal to the realm and less destructive to maintain (i.e. not pillaging their employeers subjects when they don’t get paid).

--- Thalion
Last edited by KnightErrant on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.