Arangothian Standing Army

Discussion of the various things regarding the setting itself, such as large changes to culture, politics or geography.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Preferred Title: Marog the Destroyer
Characters: Aezra
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

Arangothian Standing Army

Post by Nymphetamine »

Thalion was asking about it, but after a cursory look over the site, I can't seem to find the information on it. There was some discussion in channel about the Border Watch (disbanded? Still around? Who knows?) and the Southern Arangothian Army that was being used with Amy, Allie and Mandi... but I can't seem to find anything concrete on it.

Any emails or more info on the subject would be useful. <3
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Re: Arangothian Standing Army

Post by MunInFull »

I've got a legal pad of handwritten notes re the Southern Arangothian Army and Navy as well as Arania's army. Some of these got turned into e-notes and e-mailed to Jason, Mark (and perhaps Stu?) but I don't archive e-mail and have crashed a few hard drives since then.

I'll try and reach Mark, since I bet he might have them--and a lot more stuff on Arania. If I can't get him, I'll can always retype what I've got.
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

There's also some posts on the Ml, back when we first switched from Regency Council to Sithire, but they'll take some searching.

Re the Border Watch, they were perceived as untrustworthy (Brian played a corrupt BW Captain who helped Alex/Vaen's magistrate try and lead a separate coup while the Council-to-Sithire transition was going on. When Nisa got to power, the BW was disbanded and scattered among the standing army's regiments to function as cadre.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

Post by Nymphetamine »

Mandi said something about having the notes on the Southern Arangoth Army, I can ask her for them when she gets home tonight. Having a vague idea of the time period to look into the ML archives is helpful, nonetheless. The Council to Sithire stuff was... um... pre-2005, I believe. Not entirely sure, but it's an area to start from at the very least.
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

I don't remember when it happened. I tried to browse the archives, but that feature is not yet enabled.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

Post by Nymphetamine »

From Mandi:

Alright, so these are the final notes we're in agreement on as far as the basics are concerned. We talked about the mounted vs. non-mounted scenarios and have agreed on having the majority of the troops mounted. As far as the bodyguards were concerned, we're leaning towards it being a speciality, as there is a lot of intensive training involved, especially with personal bodyguards. To cross train everyone would put too much time into training each soldier. I mean, look at the Secret Service. They have oodles of training specifically geared towards just protective measures, but on top of that they have to study tax law, which is why their training lasts nearly 5-6 months. Short of including this intensive training, the bodyguards are going to be sorta weak and not as effective as if they were specialized.

Beyond that we agreed on scrapping the Intel and Sapper units and have made more Bodyguard units in place of those two. Minor changes were made to the dresscode policy as well. Let us know your final thoughts, JD. Ladies, if I missed anything, let me know!

2nd Sangliodair-ul-Naba – 2nd Hussars

1 Regiment 300 = 2 companies of 150 = 4 Combat Units of 40 + 5 Special Units of 20-30
1st Company 2nd Company
Ranged 40 Reconnaissance 30

Ranged (Mounted) 40 Mage 30

Ranged (Mounted) 40 Bodyguard 40

Melee 30 Bodyguard 40

~Ranged units are generally armed with crossbow or composite bow, acting in support of Melee units at the rear. These troops are lightly armored and primarily work with ranged weapons, but are trained and equipped with swords in case the front lines are overrun. Regular Ranged units are some of the lowest paid soldiers, as their supplies are cheaply manufactured. Mounted archers are paid more for being crossed trained as Melee, but primarily functioning as highly mobile ranged units. This brand of archers can fire from horseback, but are mainly carried to their firing line and deployed onto foot to improve accuracy. Mounted archers are armored more than regular Ranged units and also carry a sword into battle.

~Melee units are the frontline infantry soldiers of the 2nd Hussars. They are the most well armed and armored soldiers of the regiment, but by no means are heavy cavalry (i.e. do not sport suits of armor or use lances, maces, etc.). The individual cavalrymen of this particular unit generally choose their own weapons, but they generally range from swords to warhammers. As women’s role is not as prominent in frontline infantry, there are only a small number of females that are selected into these units. Their standards are very high and the training is extremely rigorous. Much like the mounted archers, the 2nd Hussar Melee units are highly mobile but generally are deployed onto foot by horse and rarely engage in mounted attacks.

~Reconnaissance units are just that, lightweight and fast, carrying info between not only the regiments companies, but also between other regiments and the city Guard. Core objectives include long-range observation, surveillance, and general intelligence gathering. They are considered light cavalry, but are trained very specifically in disguised movement and swiftness and are not designed to engage enemy soldiers. As such, they travel extremely light, often carrying only a bow (or other ranged weapons) and a knife. They are trained to use ranged weapons only to disengage from an ambush. Emphasis is placed on the extreme risks of these squads, as they often cross over enemy lines and sometimes travel deep into foreign-held territory. While they are supplied with some of the Army’s cheapest weapons (often being the lightest), they are some of the most heavily trained and can be used, be it rare, in special operations/direct action scenarios (rescue, sabotage, capture, assassination, etc.) in both wartime and in maritime. In such scenarios, members of other units would be attached, such as "Sappers" or Mages. Recon units are rarely, if ever, performing their duties out of uniform, as it would then constitute as espionage.

~Bodyguard units are a unique brand of soldier that appear in two categories; Uniformed Enlisted and Special Officers. Uniformed soldiers are posted to Castle Black, the Chancellery, the Royal Church, and other government and community buildings of high importance. As their title states, they appear in uniform and are highly visible security forces. Special Officers are detailed to high ranking military and government officials, both domestic and foreign [that are visiting Southern Arangoth]. These female warriors often appear out of uniform under the guise as a servant, wife, relative, or fellow of the personnel they are detailed to. Special Officers are trained in behavioral detection, evasion tactics, close quarters combat, etiquette standards and/or foreign languages (depending on the detail), as well as elementary medical techniques (i.e. treating for shock and spasms, applying tourniquets and splints, CPR, etc.) amongst other skill sets. Due to their undercover nature, Special Officers rarely appear in uniform, but are still guided by strict dress code policies that govern hair length and general hygiene. Their weaponry varies based on assignment and can be as large as a sword or crossbow hidden under or in a carriage to as small as daggers and throwing knives artfully concealed on the body.

~Mage units are made up of professional practitioners of magic. As such, they often take the longest to train, depending on specialty. In the 2nd Hussars there are approximately 10 Healing Officers assigned to the 2nd Company. These individuals are spread out and attached to various units to tend to mortal and grave injuries/wounds that are dealt on the battlefield. In maritime, they lend their assistance to the Royal Guard and other civilian government bodies. The rest of the unit is made up of general mages of varying rank. These practitioners specialize in both offensive and defensive magic for utilization on the battlefield. In rare cases, general mages are attached to other units for purposes of advisement or infiltration into a key area of fortified location (i.e. behind enemy lines). The majority in wartime are kept back with the archers since they would be lightly armored if at all.

Uniforms & Insignia
The uniforms of the 2nd Hussars are kept relatively simple with a black tunic in either long or short sleeves with a green armband on the left sleeve. Embroidered on the armband would be a green shield bordered in black with a black Vol (Pair of Wings) within. Pants are black with green piping down the sides. Black leather boots are standard , worn on the outside of the pants.

Rank is embroidered onto the sleeve below the Unit patch.

Insignia of the individual units is embroidered on the right sleeve for identification purposes. The patch is a black circle with a green border and the following symbol in a green color scheme:

Ranged : Arrow
Melee : Sword
Mage : Whorl
Bodyguards : Star
Reconnaissance : Pheon (Spear-Head)

Professional Appearance & General Standards
While on duty as a member of the Army, soldiers are guided by strict appearance policies as they relate specifically to women. Hair, while not governed at a certain length, is to be worn up while in uniform so that it does not pass below the collar of the uniformed tunic. Alternatively, it can be worn in a ponytail while not engaged in wartime operations. If the pony tail passes below the shoulder blades, it is required to be braided at that point. Nail color should be of a neutral shade and not of any neon, bright, or distracting color scheme. The length of finger nails should not exceed one-half inch past the tip of the finger. Jewelry, beyond wedding rings and religious bracelets, should not be visible while in uniform. This includes the neckline. Earrings, while not prohibited, should be restricted to small studs. Hoops and dangly earrings are not only inappropriate, but can interfere with duties. If a soldier of the 2nd Hussars chooses to purchase personal boots, they should not be high heeled in any regard.

Cavalry
Cavalry units do not utilize larger warhorse breeds such as Arabians and Mustangs, but rather more along the line of Noniuses and medium breeds. As they are not carrying heavily armored individuals, it is unnecessary to equip the regiment with such powerful and expensive horses as many of the male regiments. Reconnaissance units have bred Quarter Horses that can reach speeds of up to 55mph in order to outrun enemy troops when encountered. Special request exemptions to horse standards for whatever reason need to be filed with the Colonel, who will approve or disapprove the request on a case-by-case basis.

Cavalry orders:
sangliodair - order of knights, regiment of cavalry
dixat - banner, squadron of cavalry
sindiggo - a hundred together, company

Ranks

The 2nd Hussars are led by Colonel Rixte ul-Tatarn Ruthmire. The set of Southern Arangothian Army ranks are as follows:

Erixk - general, commands multiple regiments
Sinsithdiggire - colonel, commands a regiment
Sisikdiggire - major, commands a battalion
Sindiggire- captain, commands a company
Golsindiggire - lieutenant,
Orgod - cornet, ensign
Netrod - sergeant
Apsimbrod - corporal
Simbrod - soldier, private

Special Duties

tarrad - bugler
lallire - healer
pallod - magician
dretod - scribe, clerk
darmod - purser, paymaster
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

This is for one regiment that Mandi and Karys (and Amy?) were working on. I was in a back and forth with Mandi etc. on it. I'd invited them to do some work on it/make it their own. Chiefly, I was hoping for some background, personalities, traditions etc. As opposed to a reworking of the organization. ;) What I didn't want was a modern combined-arms, special operations-capable unit, which was the direction they took it in. Personally, that's not the direction I'd like to see SA's army go--but it's not my call. There's nothing more hnnngh to me than players trying to make the medieval-fantasy equivalent of Delta Force. In my mind (and notes), the army is small, low tech, medium magic; KISS.

I'm gonna give Mark another day to get back to me, then type up my notes. And y'all can do what you like with 'em.
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

Example from thirty seconds ago:

<Lassk> Yeah, William's a Captain of the Special Intelligence Division of the Reshalian Infantry.
<Lassk> Lassk isn't Vuulari.
MunInFull
Civic Guard

Post by MunInFull »

An example of what I'd rather not the SAA be, that is.
Wolfram
Esquire

Post by Wolfram »

I have to agree with JD on this. It's a mainstay of fantasy RPG that people bring in bits of modern society that they think are the most impressive to play. The idea of tactical strike squads and advanced army intelligence just doesn't mesh with medieval-fantasy milieu.