August 2003 - Mail Archives

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: August 2003 - Mail Archives

Post by Jayne »

Rising Tension
Author: Karah Kerridwyn
Date: 8 August 2003

(Written in elegantly flowing handwriting with a calligraphy pointed quill, the ink being of a dark, yet stormy blue blend. One copy is sent to the Magistrate, while another is sent to the Captain of the Guard. Finding its way to the doorsteps of each in the early morning.)

Unto the Royal Guard and Magistrate,

It has come to my attentions that there is a growing amount of tension in the air and on the earth in regards to those of the undead nature. It seems that there are more and more coming from the workings of the soil. Now, I am unsure as to what may be causing this, but it does dismay me to the highest degree.

I, Marriska Kincaid, Lady of Killinor, speak only for myself when I believe that this is a matter that should be dealt with as soon as possible. As some of you may have heard through the vines of rumour, I am not a citizen of the lands here in Drache for the sole purpose of my current state of being. I am, indeed, undead. But I have not done anyone here an injustice nor do I have any set plans to.

With this aside, I would like to draw attentions back to the rising numbers within the city. This in itself is somewhat of a nuisance, for some of them have caused nothing but troubles for those of my kind. Having been here for the past three to four years, I have met a number of them on occasions and had to deal with not only their ways, but with the repercussions of their actions.

I am not sure if you are familiar with what some of us vampires have in the way of our own laws, for I am sure it has not really been brought to any one's attentions in the least. Save those that are of our blood, but even so, some disregard them entirely. Which as come to be a burden on those of us that feel we must preserve them. One of the laws that I have come to adopt is that of being seen, yet not noticed. By this, I mean that we are to be as anyone else is, but to not draw attentions to ourselves. As I have now done so, is considered a crime and punishable by death. However, I feel that this is great need. There should, in my opinion be more awareness of the situation at hand and more scrutiny of those that walk amongst us. Not only for the likes of vampires, but demons and celestials as well. Not all that seem to be of the proper faith are innocent of the crimes that they have committed.

Since I have come back to Drache in the recent year or so, I have attempted to quell what I can of the horrendous actions of my kind and show them that thus is not needed. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier, some merely do not wish to listen. I have recently come into being a Justicar, which to some, is much like the Magistrate. However, I feel that I cannot take one of my own people's lives without the proper authority from those of this city, so I have had to merely punish them as I see fit. But this is still something that I fear will cause me trouble.

I fear I must leave it at this, for any more writing will draw me closer, perhaps, to my own death.

I bid you all a good day and may the gods that you ask to shine on you all, see you brightly in their eyes.

Forever yours,

Marriska Kincaid

(Sealed with dark blue wax and the symbol of a wolf's head)
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

A letter to the Captain of the Guard
with a courtesy address to the Commanders
Author: Sinner or Saint
Date: 8 August 2003

NOTE: (The letter is written in scrawling, yet graceful script. The font is elongated, suggesting perhaps an elven hand has penned the words)

Captain Von Stahl,

As you know, a good part of my duties are spent with my partner, patrolling from the skies over this city and the surrounding Forest Reserve. Not three days ago, as he and myself were on our patrol over the forest, a sight came unto us that cannot possibly be a natural occurrence. Deep within the reserve, we observed from the sky a large patch of barren land. Neither flora nor fauna occupied this dead ground, where once the forest flourished as usual. As we descended lower to gain a closer look, we saw that in the center of this barren ground there appeared to be a stone structure of some sort. Both my partner and myself grew ill at ease immediately after spying this, and he complained of hearing a deep pulsing sound coming from the area. We left without hesitation, neither of us wishing to draw any closer to this thing. With the recent rumors and attacks of these ratlike creatures, as well as the throngs of undead and other assorted nastiness that seem to be increasing, we both wish to request that this be further looked into. Surely the mages and clerics within our ranks would be able to gleen more than we were able with just passing over. I urge though, that they protect themselves in whatever means they have available to them. If just by passing over the area my partner and I felt both ill at ease, and physically as well, it cannot bode well for any who would stray much closer.

My apologies for the delay in relaying this horrible discovery, but it seems that the land where we dwell has become tainted as well, and things have learnt to walk that ought not be able to crawl.

Signed and sealed by my hand, and with the utmost respect,

Armsman Zesstra Riknueth
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

A letter to Captain Von Stahl - Aridia 11 Aug
Author: Aridia
Date: 11 August 2003

Morndas, 11th day of Last Seed 473

Captain Von Stahl

My name is Aridia Vloress and i have written in the past concerning the zombie creature infesting and seeming to be centered in my lands. I unfortunately have no further news on that subject but write to you concerning something else that may be a health issue for our fair city or it may be a one time incident as i have not heard of any others being similarly afflicted as the young woman that i healed.

Two mornings ago i healed a young woman who seemed to be choking to death on some unknown object. After i started to heal her she vomited and five white objects appeared. After removing what appeared to be a beetle from her lung the insect then exploded in my fingers and the fluids from the insect acted like an acid that was neutralized by water. I placed the white objects in a bowl of water to clean them off and they became translucent and it seems they are larvae sacs for more of these beetles. I have the specimens in a vial and wish to know who to turn them over to for study. Unfortunately i was unable to question the young woman whose name is Nath when she wakened as i was called away on other business.

This morning i saw the young woman in the common room of the Black Dragon Inn and approached only to find that apparently more of these had also found their way under the skin of her back and another had tried to help her by removing them. I was able to heal the infection away and to heal the resulting wounds but have found the woman now has what appear to be bone stubs of wings she has to her knowledge never had before. From what i have been able to ascetain the young woman is human and the only recollections she has concerning this was digging for herbs in the forest prior to comng to the Black Dragon the morning i first healed her and drinking a glass of water.

If you wish to contact me on this or give me direction as to who to give the larvae sacs to for study i can be reached at teh Black Dragon Inn as i am currently residing there.

Respectfully yours

Aridia Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Regarding Dark Desires, part IV

As the sun set on the third night, she stirred from her rest. She was not a creature that needed to sleep, but the ritual she had performed had drained her to the point where sleep had simply overtaken her. Her wings ached from the discomfort of having slept on the floor, and her body voiced its protest as she slowly drew herself to her feet. Despite the strains she had placed upon herself, and the awkward way in which she had crawled to, and passed out on, her carpet, she felt fully refreshed. She moved into her bed chamber, and proceeded to bathe and dress herself for tonight's activities.

Ewan had done as she had asked, taking great care to scrub himself thoroughly clean. His scruff of a beard had been shaved to smooth skin as well, and he had made sure that he did nothing which would dirty him up. He fully expected some sort of scrutiny from her, and it was his thoughts on this matter that distracted him as he waited in his small apartment near the wharf.

It was a bachelor's pad by every stretch of the imagination. A few clothes were strewn hear and there, andit had a generally untidy appearance. He had thought on her offer for as long as he had had time to do so. He thought perhaps his knowledge of the Guard, as well as the security in the area, would prove useful at some point. His thoughts were interrupted though, as a soft rustling noise carried on the air, like silk on flesh.

Something dark was moving through the night, something foreboding. Even the usual sounds of the wharf, cats fighting, night birds calling, was abruptly silenced. He moved to the window to gaze out, eyes squinting in the darkness, straining to see.

A short distance from the window, a pair of silver orbs hovered in the air. They disappeared and reappeared quickly, as though two eyes had blinked. They remained there, suspended in the air, and moving closer to him. The breeze carried a soft, musical quality to it, and he heard the rustling again, this time behind him. Startled, he spun around to face the room, his eyes falling on the one who had promised to come to him.

Her great black wings folded to her back, hanging gracefully relaxed. "A bit jumpy, are we?" Syn chuckles softly, taking a step closer to him, one hand reaching out to caress along his smooth cheeks. She gave him the expected appraising once over, lips curving into a dark smile. "Very nice. Who would have thought such a handsome man was buried under all of that?"

"Mmm." He was jumpy, yes. Faced with the thought of losing one's immortality to a creature who's kin were famed for being liars, cheats, and monsters, who wouldn't be? Her touch eased his apprehension though, as did her lips, when she leaned forward to place a brief, warm kiss against his.

"I trust you have had ample time to think it over? Any questions you would like to ask?" He fought against the sensation of her so close to him, struggling not to lose sight of the goal this evening. The power that flowed from her and through her was new to him; he didn't recall ever having sensed such around her before, and it was somewhat eerie.

"I have had time, yes. I was just wondering," he paused, a serious expression on his face as he looked at her, "What becomes of me after you've taken it?"

A soft chuckle thrummed in her chest once more as she answered him, fingers still brushing over his cheeks and jawline, "You may continue to live your life as you choose. I am not in the business of enslaving humans.

At least, not this human. You will not age, and you will not die. You will heal great wounds if the need arises." She gazed at him fondly, her expression one of patience, tinged with perhaps a bit of her own longing. "You are still yours. That I will not take from you. You will be bonded to me, irrevocably, for so long as time lasts, and beyond. Nothing short of the total and utter destruction of your body will kill you, and should you die in this way, what remains will return to my side. Call on me, and I will come. Be summoned by me, and you will come. That is all. Is this what you wished to know? Or is there more?"

It was exactly what he had wished to know, and everything he had wanted. One more question lingered, and as he moved to embrace her, he voiced it, "What happens if you leave this place? Where do we go then?"

"I come from the places between the stars. Should my job no longer be necessary here, that is where I would return, with you at my side." Her answer was simple enough, and cinched the deal for him. "Is your answer yes then, Ewan?"

It wasn't easy to leave it all behind, not by a longshot. His friends, the little niche he'd carved out for himself, and the normality of his existence were being given up with the speaking of one word. Something in him wanted more though, and something dark that dwelled deep within the hearts of all men called to her. He could not resist now, if ever he could have before. "Yes, yes. This is what I want now." His words are barely out before her wings wrap tightly about them both, shielding them in a cocoon of warmth.

"Let us be off then, lover. Cleave tightly to me... and for the sake of your sanity, keep your eyes shut tight! You are not yet ready to see." He needed no further instruction, and as his arms hold fast around her waist, the ground opens beneath them. A brief glance downward is all he needs to heed her final words, and his eyes shut tight, having glimpsed enough of the starfields that seemed to open to the center of the universe itself beneath them. They hung suspended there for a moment, until at last another stomach-heaving drop released them into the abyss.

Cold. It was painfully cold there, and were it not for the warmth of her body against his, the opening of her wings to begin their flight would surely have left him frozen in a split second. He shivered violently, but did not dare to open his eyes. Before long, his feet met solid ground again. "Take care not to step too far away, as you must remain in the circle until it is done, Ewan." Only then could he open his eyes, and he saw that they were on the balcony of her tower once more. They stood within the great seal she had carved into the obsidian stone, and the silver blood that filled the carving glowed dimly. "Kneel with me, Ewan, and we shall begin."
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Regarding Dark Desires, part V and The End!

Ewan did as he was told, and dropped to his knees beside her. She knelt before the eye carved into the floor at the top of the tower. She reached down, fingers wrapping around the hilt of the intricate, dark, crystalline dagger she had used to carve the circle, and she drew it to her chest, the point aimed downward at the center of the circle. He watched with interest, knowing nothing of magic himself, but still captivated by it. He didn't utter a sound, afraid of breaking whatever she had begun here and ruining it.

Her breathing was slow and steady, and before long, she reached for his hand, pulling it into her own. The blade of the dagger sliced down, splitting the flesh at the palm of his hand wide open. His blood beaded to the surface and began to flow steadily. The demoness pulled his hand out, twisting it palm down, until his blood began to drop and mingle with her own. The silvery glow surrounding them darkened to an eerie red, and her lips parted, a haunting chant beginning to pour forth from them. Even to one who did not know of magic, it was abundantly clear now, what the other liquid within the circle had been, and it was a wonder to him that she was sacrificing what seemed like so much of herself for him. He drew his hand back as she released it, clenching it into a fist to stop the bloodflow.

The chant was horrific; arcane syllables carried enough force and feeling behind them that Ewan found himself mesmerized. Other voices soon joined hers, adding a disembodied, disjointed quality to the chant. Her arms stretched to her sides, palms facing upward, and her head was thrown back, the volume of her voice raising to almost deafening. The skies above them opened up, and impossible creatures moved among the stars. Blobby, tentacled masses frolicked in an ageless playground above them, consecrating and condoning her pleas and wails. Around them the shadows seemed to thicken, swaying in rhythm to her words. All in all, it was a terrifying sight, and were he not nearly paralyzed, Ewan might have run screaming from the sights before him. He felt something being tugged within him, the pull harder and more insistent as the chant continues. Suddenly, it is wrenched free. The blade of the dagger arcs sharply downward, and with the utterance of one final syllable, Syn plunges it straight into the center of the eye within the circle. The dagger buries itself to the hilt, and the two are then plunged into utter, terrible darkness and silence.

His breath had caught in his throat, and as he opens eyes he did not realize he had shut, the darkness begins to lift from around them. Such wondrous sights he beheld! The same that would have sent him screaming and fleeing before now seemed fantastic! The dancing shadows that took on shapes he'd never seen, yet seemed so familiar to him, left him awestruck until her voice cut through his reverie. "See the world with your new eyes, Ewan. See me with them." He turned then, to face her, his lips parting into a wide smile. "Are you afraid, Ewan?"

She looked very much the same to him, save for her eyes. Now entirely black, the pewter pupils in them had disappeared, leaving two hematite orbs with no whites. A soft glow also seemed to surround her, fingers of energy crackling out from it, reaching toward him, inviting him. "It's amazing... no, I am not afraid." He still gazed around in wonder, knowing that the things he now saw were no cause for fear in him; they danced for him, and they now called him friend.

"Come then, and let us rejoice ourselves at our bonding. You are mine now, wholly, and I am yours." Were it possible for one of her nature to love, or even have the illusion of such, this was it right here. As close as it got, anyway. She cherished him now, much as a child cherished a favorite toy. "Come to me, Ewan. I wish to show you what this means to me." And as he stepped inside with her, her arms went around him again, and indeed, again, and again, she did show him many wonders.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

A return home?
Author: Karah Kerridwyn

Months, perhaps even a year had passed by since Marriska had set foot on the shores of the Isles of Myst. She closed her eyes to the smell of the isle, nothing else could compare to it. It was sweet with life and vegetation. So much different than Drache. Especially as of late. The air in Drache seemed slightly stale, unclean. Was it the way that there were creatures lurking in the darkness everywhere that she turned? Was it that she felt crowded more and more with each passing day? She could not say, all she knew was that she needed to get away from there for at least a day, a night if you will.

She slowly opened her stormy, pale blue mixed with grey eyes and strode forward, into the dense forest before her and towards her old home in Rak. It was covered with ivy, the windows dingy and some of them broken. She released a sigh and shook her head. "What states such things become with so little upkeep." No doubt it had things in it that were crawling, living within to make it their home. She pushed the door open, the interior littered with cobwebs, leaves, dust and a mouse or two scurrying away.

It would take work to get things in order again. Releasing the pack on her shoulder, she dropped it to the ground and then strode through the small, two room house looking around to make sure no one was present...
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

a letter marked urgent addressed to Captain Von Stahl
Date: 12 August 2003

morndras 11th day of Last Seed 473

Captain Von Stahl

I wrote you earlier in the day about a young lady I healed that seemed infested internally with some type of insect. I had to treat a boy this evening for the same type of trouble involving another insect of the same type. I wish to let you know before others are infested and taken ill from the same thing. Please notify me at the Black Dragon where i have the boy being watched for now if you need more information or if I can be of some type of assistance in investigating this. I have samples of the acidic fluids from the insects now as well as more larvae sacs from the boy.

Respectfully

Aridia Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

letter to the Regency Council

(letter delivered to the Regency Council building by Aridia Vlorress)

Morndras 11th day of the Last Seed 473

Sirs

i has been some time since i last applied for citizenship and had my appeal interview with one of your Esteemed Councilors. I am reapplying once again directly to the Council as it has come to my attention that it may be a waste of both time and paper to apply to the Magistrates.

I am hoping that you remember my case and since i was last interviewed i have helped several people with healings and have sent information to the Guard concerning the creature problem that seems to be centered on my land outside Drache. I have offered my assistance to the best of my abilities and just today have sent two letters concerning a health issue that seems to be affecting two persons now and will apprise them of anything further that i can learn of the issue.

I have also asked a few friends if they would write to this august body n my behalf and do not know if they have done so or not although it is my understanding that at least two persons have written letters on my behalf. I have heard through rumour that at least one Magistrate does believe i should be granted citizenship.If it is the wish of the council to interview me again i am willing to come to the Council if it is so wished.

I thank you for your time on this matter as I have fulfilled the Council's request to earn my rights to be a citizen in the best possible manner that i know and to the best of my abilities,

Respectfully

Aridia Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Addressed unto Tespin Illana LeCarde
Author: Dave Dubya Eddings

UNTO TESPIN ILLANA LECARDE:

As the spouse of a citizen (and a guard) in good standing, I should see no particular obstacles to obtaining citizenship. If you go to the Chancellery, I will be sure to put a word in with the clerks accordingly to see to it that you are granted the paperwork, and are sworn in as a citizen of the realm by the magistrate on staff that day.

I hope this answers your questions; there should be no problem whatsoever given your background, that of your husband and that of your late father-in-law. If I am on staff that day, it will be my pleasure to administer the oath of fealty.

The Honorable Jald Fohan
Chancellery Magistrate

(The characters in Nippangui below are the actual signature; though the penmanship is Jald's own, but printed.)
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Occurrences Across Town
Author: Marek Swiftblade

Despite the initial haven that the altar had found in the forest, with the recent activity of said altar and its pulsing, it had created another area of decay. Much like the dead magic area where Astyrum's tower once stood, the area around the altar was slowly dying away and spreading. Viewable from above, though still mostly hidden from those on the ground, unless they happened across it on accident.

It's call had been answered, though, and the continued reports of man-size ratmen terrorizing the lower city were evidence of something not being quite right. To link the two was nigh impossible, as strange happenings were not alien to the port city of Drache. No one really knew what all dwelled within the sewers of the city, or even below them. The gods knew worse things likely crawled around there, and crawled above ground as well.

Though it was not only the ratmen that answered the call, there were others. Another group at least, though only two persons had been privy to the immediate sighting. The body was reported in the morning and by midday, guards had found the body through roundabout directions given to them.

Pale, sickly grey in color with wild black hair that would fall well past it's shoulders when standing upright. An arrow was sticking out of the area beneath the right collarbone, and another through the throat, both fired by the same archer who had reported the incident to the guards. Fingers ended with razor-sharp claws maybe an inch long, though likely a touch shorter. Though the most striking feature, and perhaps the most unnerving, were the entirely white eyes left open even after death. No irises, no pupils, just solid whites.

Elsewhere in the city, Sergeant Preston LeCarde was circling over the city atop Priya, his aerial mount. The gryphon was gliding across the sky with ease, giving the guard a pretty good view of the surrounding area. It was something that he did at least once a day, to relax if nothing else. On this day, though, it would bring about a new discovery. In the distance north of the city, thin pillars of dark grey are seen rising into the sky. Not pillars by mortal means of construction, but those of fire. He had seen such pillars before, once, and back then they held no manner of good fortune. They were fires of a war party. One that even now could be seen slowly trekking towards the city. Not a large party, mind, but enough.

Enough to keep people busy and well-occupied, for certain. Perhaps a total of fifty, though it was hard to tell exactly with the distance that still kept them from the city. Perhaps another night of rest before they would arrive, if it took that long. Coming from the North, which would be something a bit different. The last few city attacks had come from within, or from the lower city itself. The Docks, Wharf, both were scenes of brutal fights, carrying as far as the Iron Gate before being stopped. Drache's last stand from the south.

Little time was wasted as the gryphon finished the last round, spyglass tucked back into the guard's cloak before he would land and inform the superiors. In truth, he hoped that the Border Watch would take measures before they had to.

Elsewhere...

To the east of the city, another sighting would have been noticed over the past few weeks. A castle and of none too small a scale was being constructed. The rate much faster than would seem possible. Perhaps those working on it never slept, or the owner had enough wealth to pay people all night long. Who knew, save that the home was beginning to shows the signs of being one of the grandest in the city proper.

Despite the new development, the structure itself seemed to be formed of aged stone, far too old to be used for the first time. Perhaps special ordered from some other locale. Perhaps purposefully aged for a reason. A high wall circled around the castle, gated at two places though only one would be visible from the most obvious approach via the path. Nothing around the area had been disturbed by the construction, each tree, bush, etc being spared any manner of damage as the workers slaved through all hours of the day and night. The lord of the manor paced on occasion outside of his future home, usually late at night or evening when the weather was cooler. One of his station did not generally take to the hotter hours, after all.

Soon, it would be complete, perhaps in a moon or two with just the finishing touches yet to be done. And then, the lord would make his arrival known to the city and it's esteemed persons. A pleasant and interesting night that would be.