August 2003 - Mail Archives

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: August 2003 - Mail Archives

Post by Jayne »

Letter to Captain Von Stahl (Dark Desires)
Author: Tom Long
Date: 13 August 2003

Rather than break into the Guardhouse, past all the Arms-men and directly into the Captain's office to be dropped off on his often vacant desk, this poorly written letter finds it's way to the Captain's mailbox through appropriate clerks.

To Captain Von Stahl,

I have bad news about Arms-Corporal Ewan Struecker. Earlier this week he came into the Blkdragon Inn, and I introduced him to a demon woman to who I was trying to make clear she wasn't welcome. He started digging into her too, and I got distracted and didn't notice what happened after.

But I saw her again today, and was surprised that Ewan had not run her out of town or killed her. In fact, she claymed that he was her prisoner and that if anyone harmed her she would use her magics to kill him. She also said he was willing, but I don't think Strucks is a pit-dipper.

I didn't believe her that he was even gone at first, but this afternoon I asked at the Guardhouse and he hadn't been on his beat for a few days. I didn't manage to find out where she was holding him, but I think if we asked around who's seen a woman flying, we might get a lead on a direction.

The woman had bat wings and liked to raise a chair for herself in the Inn instead of sitting on one already there. <Insert description of Syn>

I feel guilty because I introduced them, but I didn't think shed kidnap him from the Inn. She must be powerful if she can do that to him, so Ill hold myself back from trying to put a bolt through her head, especially considering her threat against Struecker. But if you need an extra hand in any investigation, feel free to contact me. Id love to help send her fiery rump back to the pit it was spawned in.

Jinnai Halfmoor,
Licensed Bounty Hunter
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Silver's Letter to the Chancellery (and the Port Officials)
Author: Jack Allen
Date: 19 August 2003

A letter is delivered by a street rat runner, to the office of the Chancellery and the Port Master. upon opening said letter, they would find, in extremely neat and proper script, the following message:

To whom it may concern...

I have recently come into ownership of an airship by the name Silgailika and number 34567321. It is my wish to have free rights to this ship under Arangothian law. I regret to say that I am unfamiliar with said laws, but I would like to hold a meeting and or interview with representatives to work out my case. It is my wish to hold said meeting upon the ship in question, though if that is unacceptable I will settle for holding it in the Black Dragon Inn, where I am currently making my residence. If none of these potential meeting places are acceptable, please do inform me and I will work with you on a suitable place. Also, I will be available for meeting for almost every day this week, simply let me know and I will strive to be there, or else send word as to why I could not attend.

Sincerely,
Captain Nathanial Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

What to do
Author: Aridia
Date: 21 August 2003

Lay`Trayin thought hard about what to do with the bounty she had collected from killing Ender. She had just come from the guardhouse where she had gotten her geas replaced and gotten paid for the bounty. She had not gone after ender for the bounty but for more personal reasons and her geas had been worn to the point of breaking when she had come across him. She had taken a chance and now to decide what to do with a bounty she did not need.

She waited until Tierant had woke and was getting ready to leave on patrol to ask his advice and waited then until late night. She left after tierant had fallen asleep after he was done with patrol and left the money at one of the churches with a note asking it be used for orphans. She did not sign the note and as quietly as she had brought it she left and returned to her bed to curl up next to Tierant.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

To Regent Councilors Marcion Aldenbar and Harlst Mhern-Lathvek
Author: Tom Long
Date: 28 August 2003

My fellow Councilors,

While I believe this matter I am about to discuss to be of less than grand import, I feel the need to gain the backing of the full Council before I make my decision, judging by the reaction of the Chancellery.

You will have been forwarded all relevant correspondence and read my account of my interview with Tespin Aridia Vloress, who is currently applying for citizenship. To be short, this Lady had applied for her citizenship with the Honourable Abraxas ul-Caros but was rejected due to her former reprehensible life as a vampire. The Magistrate did not deny her all rights, as per those undead among us, but instead simply chose to refuse her citizenship in favour of her being a Subject, as I understand the case. A prudent move, but one Tespin Vloress appealed to the Council as is her right. I interviewed the Lady in question with the unexpected aid of His Majesty, Arlok. Although we turned her down, I did invite her to re-apply in the future. At the time, I was thinking more in terms of a year or two, but Tespin Vloress has once again applied and the matter must be dealt with.

In considering this case, I have had to weigh all those decent arguments against her with those for. It is true that she was once a Vampire and committed many deplorable acts, as those creatures must to continue their unholy 'life.' It also seems to be true that, contrary to my knowledge of vampires, she did not lose her sense of morality and conscience, what one might call a soul, in this transformation and killed regardless for centuries. It has been suggested that being cured of her vampiric state, when the soul is constant throughout, is no excuse for acts of atrocity knowingly committed. This weighs most heavily against her of all arguments I have considered. It is also true that she had been tried and convicted of a minor crime here in Drache and even now bears a geas in that respect. I feel the need to note also that I advised the Lady to observe her acquaintances very closely, and yet that most close acquaintance, her husband Tempus Vloress, has apparently threatened and insulted the Crown and its agents (this will most certainly bar any of his attempts at citizenship). This does indeed damage her case. It should be noted, in addition, that it is quite true that the Chancellery or higher authorities are not under obligation to bestow citizenship upon worthy citizens, but are able to grant such honours as they see fit.

A number of arguments made I have dismissed, often on the basis of previous Magistrate decisions regarding them. Some citizens have brought to my attention that Vloress was killed and infected at the age of 15, too young to make decisions. I judge this invalid as Arangothian law relevantly considers beings adult at 13. It was also been suggested that Vloress never committed her vampiric atrocities (of which I wish not to speak) against humans. This is invalid as well, as it is tacitly untrue from testimony by the Lady herself. Finally, it has also been argued that her crimes were committed outside Arangoth and therefore outside our jurisdiction. I judge this as invalid because these crimes were freely admitted to, and because citizenship is an honour not an entitlement and may be granted on the weighing of one's character - which this admission clearly injures.

Keeping in mind these detriments however, I vote to grant Tespin Aridia Vloress citizenship on a number of precedents.

1) I believe that our law system has a certain allowance for public service to be considered in lieu of imprisonment or execution as punishment for crime. This being so, I testify that the Lady's claim is that she has been cured of her vampiric disease and brought back to life for over three millennia. Hard as this is to believe (when added to her vampiric 'lifespan,' this totals over five thousand), she has testified that she has worked as many good deeds as possible during this time in an attempt to atone. This is all according to her word and impossible to be proven, of course, but so are her crimes in the first place and so I judge them equally reliable or unreliable as the case may be.

2) In addition to this 'hearsay' public service, Tespin Vloress has done a number of positive deeds in our nation since her arrival. She has adopted and raised a child rescued from slavers, she has aided Crown Agents in the pursuit of justice, given her free service as a healer, and given aid in the undead battles of the Third Mist Crisis.

3) Perhaps most tellingly, I am thoroughly convinced that she is indeed among the living and no longer the victim of a necromantic infestation (however they might call themselves a 'race'). I find this to be a unique case, in that I had never heard of a cure before and indeed thought it impossible. However, given that we define our laws towards the undead on the assumption that on their death they ceded all living rights, this requires an argument without precedence. Despite the ongoing presence of a sense of higher morality, or 'soul,' I believe that our laws now consider Tespin Vloress' life to have begun on her curing as a vampire and to be credited subject rights and consideration accordingly. I would argue with the notion that granting her citizenship would condone vampires, the discriminatory laws towards whom I support, is invalid as she is no longer such a creature.

4) Though she is not human, her testified state as a 'Fallen Angel' has citizenly precedent in our nation as to the former Queen. As unlike the Rhy Dinians Arangoth now considers the Crown considered an office, I would testify that the Queen naturally, if retrogressively, was a citizen as subjects cannot hold such positions.

I therefore vote that the Chancellery be instructed to grant Tespin Aridia Vloress citizenship on her proving to an expert witness that she is indeed no longer a vampire, and on the sponsorship of two citizens in good standing.

After my interview I thoroughly believe that the Lady is repentant for her crimes, intending to do good, and committed to those ideals we would do well to have represented in all our citizens. I must further protest that citizenship is not so great a matter as some believe it may be. It does not prove that this body supports vampires and their induction into the honourable rolls of the census. Regardless of the honour bestowed by owning Arangothian citizenship, Vloress will still be subject to the same criminal laws, and in fact her responsibilities towards our society will have increased.

I remain, Sirs, your humble servant,

M. Reizeau

<seal affixed>
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

The Continued Tale of Lord Jah Kahn: In the service of Hell.
Author: WilliamT. Hill
Date: 29 August 2003

Withdrawing his vorpal greatsword from the dying and then dead body of a celestial upon the battlefield as the fighting raged about him and magica flared throughout the area, giving light to the chaos rendered in gruesome and vivid detail as Celestials, Demons and the denizens of Hell fought for supremacy once again in the ever continuing war for Eternity, Jah glanced up to see another blade coming downward toward his armored neck. Raising his arm, moving his bracer in place to intercept the blow, he brought up his sword, to try and catch the celestial in the legs and severe them. Azure blue lightning arced off his bracer of power and wound its way up the sword upon contact like a vicious snake winding up to strike its foe. The celestial saw it coming and withdrew his sword, the hairs on his body starting to stand on end. He nearly cleared Jah's sword but Jah was no fool and continued to bring his blade up, thus catching the serrated edge on the celestial's armor. With a grin Jah jerked upward and threw the celestial off balance and onto the ground just as another sword slammed into his chestplate, cracking it. Glancing over to the side to look at the bearer of the blade, Jah' eyes widened.

Of all things Jah despised most, it was an angel. As pretty as she looked with her flowing smooth white hair and pale skin with her ivory armor trimmed with gold, Kahn knew what angels could do an entire army of Tanar'ri. Kill them all or give them a run for their money. Yet he felt no fear nor the need to run for his life. He stared at her for the moment, his dull red eyes squinting against the holy radiance about her form. Indeed she looked beautiful, he thought again. But something told him at the back of mind to kill her. Finish her off. It was his job. It was what he was engineered to do. Engineered? That brought to mind dwarves, gnomes, wizards and other races that created mechanicals, automatons, constructs and golems to serve them. Then he heard her voice once she withdrew her blade.

Sounding like sweet music to his equine ears, she said "I know you for who you are. You are the powerful Lord Jah Kahn. Once a Lord in his own right, with a kingdom to serve his whims, now nothing but a puppet to a god. You serve Tristore Dunistyr, demigod of nothing. Let me free you from your eternal torment. For I am Kalakroma, one of the angels of the light. Let me show you the way to eternal rest and salvation. There is a place within Celesia reserved for you. Only you and you alone can choose your fate."

Jah continued to watch her, his eyes narrowing further in suspicion. His claws twitched on the hilt of his blade, the Celestial Reaver. The Celestial Reaver. The thought entered his mind. She looked pretty indeed and she was offering him a way to eternal rest but was it all what she it was? Jah didnt like the idea that he served Tristan Dunistyr but he shall have to ask the Mechan what this was all about. Jah served no one but himself. Even Dulcy in the Black Dragon knew that.

A sword moved in the flash of a split second and there was a gasp, then the sound of magical steel ringing on rock, a chime signaling the fall from grace for the sword bearer. Blood dripped upon the sword's blade as it lay upon the dead ground stained with the blood of others. Jah continued to stand, the angel impaled through the heart by his blade. She gasped once more, blood draining from the massive wound and the rend in her armor. Her luster seemed to fade, her beauty seemingly still eternal. For now, Jah watched her as if he'd never seen anything die, still holding her upright with his blade as her chin lowered downwards to rest upon her collarbone.

"You tried and for a moment, I almost thought you convinced me but coercion never works.", Jah muttered as he let his sword down slowly, letting her slide off of his blade onto the ground with whatever grace he could spare her. Which wasn't much but at least she didn't die hacked to pieces which he could have done. It would've made an extra statement to all her companions and fellow warriors which were now giving Jah a lot of breathing room. But the fact he showed a modicum of respect said enough. And now they were giving him due respect out of fear. The fear of his abilities upon the battlefield and the fact their side was calling a retreat. Several gasps were given at the scene of Jah standing next to the angel's fallen body while he gazed towards the retreating troops.

Then the unexpected happened. Another angel stepped forth from the crowd of celestial warriors, his blade and shield ready. He called a rally of his warriors to the cause and they all lined up, weapons ready. Then they charged. Jah sighed and readied his blade once again, turning to face the onslaught as the newly arrived leader shouted, "For Kalakroma Callenfaire. my sister, may she never have died in vain. Charge!"

Jah's ears stood up and his eyes widened upon the recognition of a family bloodname. The Callenfaire lineage. He thought he slew them all in his fortress in hell during a siege. Then his mind recollected that he had slain Lord Callenfaire and one of his sons. Realisation dawned upon him again and then he knew he had slain the lord's daughter and faced yet another son. Jah's current appearance was due to a curse from the dying father, his son on his lap, right before Jah severed the lord's head from his body. And he knew he stood out like a bonfire in the darkness. Jah braced for the charge, his blade at ready, then swinging to cleave a warrior in half, then another's shield as the two sides in the war for eternity, once again clashed.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

The Seekers
Author: Marek Swiftblade
Date: 29 August 2003

The bodies of his fallen comrades still remained in the dank sewer that they fell in, victim to a pair of bounty hunters that seemed a bit more formidable than anticipated. One sported silver bolts in a handbow, which caused aggravations to wounds that would have killed their foe anyway. He had thought better of dying, opting to use the smart idea and run. Coward's way, perhaps, but he was told to gather information for the Master. Two of the fallen comrades he had known for years, all having been part of a small gang of street toughs in the Docks District. That gang had since been torn apart, literally and figuratively. The leader had disappeared, it seemed, though unknown to him, that leader was still alive and well outside the city.

A few turns here and there finally found the wererat in a small opening, where there was actually solid ground amidst the sewage and water of the city. There, on a solitary pedestal sat a simple clear ball. Upon approach, the ball pulsed with energy, a similar energy to that which was noted in the Forest Reserve. Soon, the ball clouded over until the simple form of a hooded man took shape within the orb.

"What news do you have to report?"

"The people are much more formidable than we had anticipated, Master. Two bounty hunters. They killed five of my men."

"Two? Only two?"

"Yes, Master."

"And where are these two now?"

"They fled down one of the tunnels after I left. I reverted to my other form to in turn follow them and they made their way towards the Black Dragon. I would assume such as it is the only outlet down their corridor."

"The infamous Black Dragon. These bounty hunters...bring them to me alive if possible. If not, their heads will suffice as ornaments for my dining hall. I shall send others to assist you in this, as well as your usual comrades."

"At once, Master."

"Should the same happen again, you are instructed to return to me and report. I shall deal with them in time. You have done well, Velly."

"Thank you, Master."

The orb flickered once before fading to the clouded view, obscuring the Master and when the clouds emptied, the ball was clear once again and the pulsing ceased. Velly turned and scurried down another corridor to find more comrades for the raid. From the abandoned warehouse once inhabited by himself and his friends, the new residents awoke and prepared for battle.