September 2003 - Mail Archives

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: September 2003 - Mail Archives

Post by Jayne »

To Tespin Aridia Vloress (Citizenship SL)
Author: Tom Long
Date: 22 September 2003

Tespin,

Please be hereby advised that the Regency Council of Southern Arangoth has reviewed your Citizenship case and granted your request.

On presenting yourself to the Chancellery with the standard two citizens of good standing to vouch for you, as well as expert proof that you are indeed alive, you will be administered the Oath and enrolled as a Citizen of Arangoth.

Congratulations and good fortune to you.

I am, Madame, your humble servant,

Prof. M. Reizeau, Regent Councilor
<Seal of the Council, a fatted goose and sheaf of wheat in an unbroken
circle, affixed>
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Unto my fellow Magistrates
Author: Blake Murpht

UNTO MY FELLOW MAGISTRATES

Having received and read the letter of the Honourable (and now former) Lord Chancellor, I call upon my fellows to give his example due consideration. As control of the Chancellery has been passed unto the magistrates, I ask of my peers that we meet and discuss this drastic turn of events before any action is taken on our part, including, but not limited to, to administration of the Oath to Tespin Vloress.

As neither I nor my fellows were consulted on the point of administering the Oath to a foreigner and confessed former servant of darkness, I fail to see any reason to comply with the orders of the Council at this point in time. Instead, I repeat my request of a meeting of the minds on the issues of this, and our course of action in the near future regarding the Chancellery, as well as to discuss possible actions the Council may take, have taken already, or have in planning.

Decisions that affect the whole of Drache, indeed, Arangoth, have been taken, and the consequences of these actions beg examination.

The Hon. Segovax ul-Ambixus Eppilus,
Realm's Magistrate
<seal attached>
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Citizenship Controversy -- a letter adressed to Father Kylus
Author: Aridia
Date: 22 September

Aridia sat in the Black Dragon and composed her letters and when she headed out for the evening delivered both to the Church and to the University addressed to Father Kylus and Professor Stygian respectively.

Morndas 22 day of Hearthfire 473

Father Kylus

I am writing to you in hopes that you might have time to help me in a current dilemma i find myself in. I have applied for citizenship and having had to appeal to the Regency Council have received a letter stating i need to meet certain requirements. I am hoping that you may be able to help me with one of the requirements needed. I need a certification from an authority on undead who can certify that i am indeed a living being and am no longer of the undead. I can be reached by letter at the Black Dragon Inn and am most times found there in person as well. Your name comes to mind to ask this favor as i recall your valor in the Mist War that i also fought in. I await word from you.

Respectfully

Aridia Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Citizenship Controversy -- a letter addressed to Professor Stygian
Author: Aridia

Aridia sat in the Black Dragon and composed her letters and when she headed out for the evening delivered both to the Church and to the University addressed to Father Kylus and Professor Stygian respectively.

Morndas 22 day of Hearthfire 473

Professor Stygian

I am writing to you in hopes that you might have time to help me in a current dilemma i find myself in. I have applied for citizenship and having had to appeal to the Regency Council have received a letter stating i need to meet certain requirements. I am hoping that you may be able to help me with one of the requirements needed. I need a certification from an authority on undead who can certify that i am indeed a living being and am no longer of the undead. I can be reached by letter at the Black Dragon Inn and am most times found there in person as well. Your name comes to mind as i have heard others mention your name as a scholar of high repute in regards to the dead and undead. I await word from you.

Respectfully

Aridia Vlorress
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Unto Thomas L'Char Bourne
Author: Alexander Wood
Date: 23 September 2003

Thomas,

It is with a heavy and sad heart that I heard the news about your resignation. I would have written you earlier or helped to clean out your office, but I was engaged for most of the day with the matters of state. However, it is perhaps fortunate that it is not until the early hours that I find myself at leisure to write you, for I have just concluded a most unpleasant meeting with my colleagues.

I fear that without your presence and stature as a long-standing servant of the Crown and war hero beside, my colleagues are at loggerheads about the future of our office. Do not think me unfair to my colleagues when I assess them poorly; I believe you saw their best sides. Finist is a good man, a righteous man, and well-suited to the everyday habits of law, but on matters of policy his piety is blinding. Ketara seems to be a capable woman, save that I fear that her friendship is interfering in her policy decisions. Segovax seems like he may enjoy going against the establishment simply for the sake of doing so. Takani I have not really come to know - she did not speak much during our meeting.

I do not question your judgement in investing these people with the office of Magistrate, but I can see plainly that they do not understand the tempest we are heading into. They believe that the stuffed-shirts on the Council owe them some kind of rationalization for their behavior. They are unwilling to agree to employ even simple strategems for achieving political objectives.

Thomas, since I first presented myself at your office, I have always been a faithful and capable executor of the law and an able assistant. You will recall that my strategem against an important woman within the Cam'Wethrin bandit group resulted in the cessation of their activities. You will recall that I fought selflessly against the undead and slew one of their champions in single combat, without regard for my own life. Now, I am presented with a very difficult political situation and four equals who know nothing of politics.

I am a woman of many talents, old friend, but in times of need I still find myself requiring the gifts of others. Perhaps you can find one last one to give me.

Yours,

Lytia C. Seward,
Magistrate of Drache
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

To Rei (Citizenship SL)
Author: Shyne Blake-Kurakolis

To Prof. M. Reizeau, Regent Councilor

Dere Ser,

I hav herd a visshus rooma that a so calls forma vampiyre is to be grantd a sittysen of Drache.

I am shokked. I relize thiss is a vampiyre plott to take the sitty, that yoo r probbly terned and hav no choowss butt do wat yoo r toled by the vampiyres hoo hav ennslavd yoo. I pleej that I will hunt downe the holl filfy nesst of vampiyres who are taakin ova Drache, starrtin with Arydia Vlorezz.

Shyne Blake
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

To Thomas Bourne
Author: Shyne Blake-Kurakolis

To Thomas L'char Bourne

Dere Vorfon Bourne,

I hav herd a visshus rooma that a so calls forma vampiyre is to be grantd a sittysen of Drache.

I am shokked. I relize thiss is a vampiyre plott to take the sitty, that yoo hav rezined. I hav pleej that I will hunt downe the holl filfy nesst of vampiyres who are taakin ova Drache, starrtin with Arydia Vlorezz.

I amm yoor allli,

Shyne Blake
Bounty Hunter
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Truths and Treasons I (The Vlorses Affair -[was Citizenship SL])
Author: Tom Long
Date: 24 September 2003

((A log of a Meeting of the Magistrates in a locked room of the Blkdragon Inn to discuss the resignation of their Lord Chancellor and the orders of the Regency Council in regards to the citizenship request of one Aridia Vloress))

(Segovax) He re-arranged some of the room furnishings, pulling a small table to the centre of the room, grabbing the odd chair, stool, and bucket, which he overturned and seated himself on. He dropped the keys into his pouch, the room locked against interruption.

(Takani) The old paladin claimed a seat on whatever looked the sturdiest, since... well, she was in full armour under her robes, and it'd be most unseemly to break a seat. From within her robes, she withdraws several letters; The two sent today, as well as a copy of the original messages, including the treat from Tempus. She sets the lot out on the table between them, and liberates a small notepad and expensive lead pencil from inside her sleeve, staying quiet for the moment as she contemplated.

Finist`Escadr not as large as the female, but certainly well within the higher masses, sat the Priest of Tyr, in his robes and partial armor, the Justiciar strapped across his back, and the heavy mace hanging by his hip. Now he had his hands folded, looking out from two bushy, whitened silvery brows at the gathering, with his usual air of great, stern, dignified presence.

* Lytia enters the meeting room, whimsically dressed in a red robe rather than the usual black silk affair. She carries her spear, taken from the corpse of the undead champion she slew in the Mist 'war', using it as a walking stick. Her narrow blue eyes take in her colleagues and then the furnishings of the room, cynically angling to take the most comfortable and/or prestigious seat left open.

* Ketara filed into the meeting room with a nervous look. First off, she was still frightened of being chewed out for running around in her black suit and jacket instead of the usual robes and second well, she was likely the only magistrate here with personal ties to Aridia. Wide, violet eyes passed over the already arrived magistrates and settled on an empty chair, her rear following suit shortly.

(Takani\Makaiki) Oh, and Makaiki'd position herself outside the room's door once she'd returned, to keep eavesdroppers away, and keep an eye out for any other important folks. Yeah.

(Segovax) Folding his hands neatly in front of him atop the small table, he glanced around at the assembled magistrates, stern as always. He cleared his throat, and raised an eyebrow in inquiry. "Shall I assume, then, that you have all received and read not only the letter of the Lord Chancellor, but also my own? If so, then we shall begin our discussion. I ask that anyone who feels an urgent need to speak please do so. In turn," he added as an afterthought, the professor in him speaking.

(Lytia) Lytia shrugs her shoulders, having no particular burning desire to say anything yet. She crosses one leg over the other under her robe, making herself a little more comfortable in the seat she's found, continuing to watch the faces of her colleagues.

(Takani) The massive she-elf sat like a figure carved out of stone despite her heavy robes and armour, only the faintest nod acknowledging Segovax' statement; Her usually kindly features were set in an impassive mask, and she leaned one elbow on her knee, and her chin on that hand as she simple watched and listened. Copies of the various letters were available on the table in front of her, and her pencil was currently still as she simply watched and waited.

(Lytia) Seeing the proverbial sea of blank faces, Lytia's brows raise. "No one has an opinion on this? I must confess, I have not met many of you personally, but I would have thought one out of five of my colleagues might have something to say, no matter how banal."

(Finist`Escadr) "I have not yet received the honorable Segovax's letter," began the stern arbitrator of Tyr, "But I did read what the Council writes to us. Does it occur to my colleagues that their demands seem... imposing?" Maintaining decorum, he stopped, waiting to hear a response to this.

* Ketara set her own letters on the table and sat up slightly. Nervous as she was, the last thing she wanted to see was an upset Lytia. She'd seen that once already and that was more than enough. She fingered Segovax letter and nodded. "I would have to agree, your Honours. As much as I would like to help Tespin Vloress, it does seem that the Council is outside of its bounds in ordering the Chancellery. Though, being new to the position, it may not be my place to say so." She looked around at her colleagues like deer trapped in..err..lantern light.

(Segovax) "They indeed do, and this is why, in spite of the consequences that shall affect the governing of this city, I refuse to assent to their demands. Tespin Vloress will not receive citizenship by my hand, and I shall not be dictated to by would-be merchant princes." he, like Ketara, was relatively new to his position, though he quite obviously felt no compunctions against sharing his thoughts.

(Lytia) "Well, the duly appointed Regents of the Crown may grant citizenship to 'individuals they find deserving, without the consultation of the Chancellery' - that much is in our laws. Quite obviously, I do not like it," Lytia says, her shoulders rising and falling in another shrug.

(Finist`Escadr) "I on the other hand find disturbing the letter of Aridia Vloress' lover, this T.V." he uttered once more and nodded to the pile of documents. "It was forceful, tactless and untimely, and this, your honours, betrays nervousness. Perhaps the nervousness of one who has Aridia Vloress in his clutches and will use her citizenship for his nefarious ends?"

(Takani) The moredhel listened silently, occasionally making notes on her notepad as each of her comrades made their statements, though either she had nothing to say, or she was just holding back for the time being in favour of acting as secretary.

(Segovax) He nodded to the words of both Lytia and Escadr. "Perhaps, Escadr. Perhaps. Though, I worry first and foremost about one who seeks to threaten us if we do not give in to their requests. Surely, the letter of her lover must factor negatively into the Tespin's merits. And yet, still, they order us to grant her citizenship."

* Ketara frowns at Finist. "I don't know that her lover would have that much control over her. I've met Tespin Vloress and she is certainly not a weak willed woman. Personally, I was one who spoke for her receipt of citizenship, however, it does seem wrong that the council may arbitrarily override the decision of an overwhelming majority of the Chancellory."

(Lytia) "I think that you are failing to realize that, thanks to our friends on the Council, her citizenship is a done deal. The relative merits of the applicant or her supporters are interesting philosophical points, but not really relevant to our position."

(Takani) "They're seeking to undermine our authority." Takani speaks up suddenly, though she kept her deep voice relatively soft. "Thanks to this charade, the citizens will likely be disenchanted to our word on judgements. This is... not a good thing. Something must be done about it to maintain the stability of the city."

(Finist`Escadr) "The council will not order us around. Justice must be served upon carefully-balanced scales. Though the destabilization is a double-edged sword. Should the magistrates and the council stand in opposition, that will not bode well for stability either. Ours is the choice of the lesser of two evils, but we must do more than that. We must heavily negotiate with the higher powers that be in order to preserve order. I have not known the will of the Council to be very strong in the past, however."

(Lytia) Lytia's tapered fingers come up and she rubs her temples slightly. "Could we perhaps send for some water? This heat is horrible," she says, a frown crossing her thin lips. "At any rate, what do you propose to do to maintain the stability of the city?" she asks, perhaps a little rhetorically, as she follows up, "The council is acting within the law. The council are the de facto regents of the Crown."

*Takani plucks up the tray off the floor and sets it on the table as well, revealing a bottle of half-decent wine, and three goblets. She'd mostly forgotten about it, but she gestured to Lytia to help herself. "Perhaps we should appeal to the king."

* Ketara sighed, and leaned back in her chair. She'd promised to aid Aridia, but..well..the city itself came before one of its almost-citizens. "Perhaps we could all refuse to swear Tespin Vloress in until some sort of meeting between the Magistrates and Council is set up to discuss jurisdiction, first. Going directly to the King, above their heads..would not be looked on favorably." She avoided the wine, enjoying the warm air.

(Segovax) He waved away Takani's suggestion. "The King is liberal and absent from the city, his Regents unduly powerful pirates. They seek to bend Drache to the liberal thought of the king, without care for what we, actual citizens of the city, think."

(Lytia) "There's no question of jurisdiction. The law is plain. The question is, at root, do we or do we not rebel against this, and if so, how."

(Lytia) She takes the bottle of wine and pours herself half of a glass, which she then scoops up and cradles with one hand. "If we do mutiny against these.. if you will allow me to steal your metaphor, Segovax, pirate captains, we had best do it right."

* Ketara frowned and crossed her arms over her chest, glancing at Lytia. "And to what end? Do we rebel simply to be spoiled children with our sense of power trampled on or are we seeking something here?"

(Segovax) "Ketara's suggestion is one we would do good to take to heart. before we do anything drastic, we should attempt one last time to converse with and convince the Council of our stance in these matters. Until then, refusing to swear in Vloress would send them a message."

(Finist`Escadr) "I want to know the grounds upon which they made their decision in more detail, at such a meeting. I will not accept any abstract throwing around of the law. When I have seen their reasons, I will give my answer, but until then, I refuse to swear in Tespin Aridia Vloress."

(Lytia) "The law provides no requirement of reasons, save that the Council finds them deserving. Legally, they can do it because Sresar soup contains onions!" Lytia sighs, frustrated with her seeming failure to get her point across. She takes a sharp breath and sets the wineglass down. "However, I will concede that the good Councilman did make a mistake in instructing the applicant to come to the Chancellery with her witnesses and not to the Council."

(Finist`Escadr) "And that is precisely the problem. Abstract laws. Sresar soup. It is my will that more meaning is placed behind decisions." he answered staunchly.

(Segovax) "The law is wrong, Lytia! Wrong! Plainly and simply put, wrong! It ignores the greater will for the sake of the king's own, and one man cannot decide what is best for so many - especially not so liberal a man as he. The very abstractness of the law castrates us, renders us powerless when the whims of the Regents are concerned."

(Takani) A flicker of uncertainty passed through the tall dark elf's eyes as she watched and listened to her comrades debate. She ceases writing, and goes very still, her expression unreadable. New to the city as she was, she probably had a similar standpoint to Ketara's on this matter.

(Ketara) "If the Council wishes it done, then the Council should very well do it, is that it? Liberal or not, I would agree that whimsical government will not last. Whether that whim be liberal or conservative. Whether or not is permissible for the Council to overturn the Chancellery, it is still not right. Nor is it beneficial to the people of Drache, citizens or noncitizens."

(Lytia) "Right or wrong, it is still the law," Lytia says. "We can talk all day about our respective wills and the liberalities of our Liege. If you will permit me to usurp the chair of this meeting for a moment, Segovax, I'd like to poll, just a simple yes or no. Are you willing to break the law over this, for indeed, that is what we would have to do in order to stop it."

(Segovax) "You know I am, yes." His eyes glinted, rebellion brewing up in the hatchet-faced man. Curious of the results of this sudden polling, he quieted, watching and listening.

(Lytia) Lytia gestures to the others. "It's an open question, your honors. Yes or no - we can let the reasoning and rationalizations wait until later."

* Ketara shifted uncomfortably in her chair and nodded at the prodding. "Yes. If we must, to make a point and see to the strengthening of the city."

(Finist`Escadr) "No. I will not see the city fall into chaos because of one insignificant applicant. If it ever comes to the -ultimate- decision, the current one being -not- ultimate, I choose order."

(Takani) And Takani goes so still that she almost appears to have stopped breathing. Finally, she answers, "That is a sticky point. No, I will not break the laws of morality for the cause of greater good. I cannot. The laws of man may be bent, but never broken." Dark eyes flicked over to Finist and she nodded once in agreement with his statement.

(Lytia) "Well, we have one definite yes, one yes if it strengthens the city, and two against," she says, conveniently not mentioning her own opinion in her tabulation and immediately proceeding to say. "I think it is important that if we do as Sengovax would suggest that we are all on the same boat."

(Finist`Escadr) "You make it sound like there are two options, rebellion and not. I insist on the meeting with the council," spoke Finist, narrowing his eyes at Lytia slightly.

(Segovax) He looked pointedly at Lytia. "You fail to answer your own poll."

(Lytia) "At heart, there are only two options. You can meet with a Council that has already made a decision, but I doubt that they will say 'Oh, you are right, your honor, we are taking too much power...I will be sure to consult more with you in the future, your honor.'" She mimics a stereotype of a stuffy noble's voice for the dialogue.

(Lytia) "In a roundabout way, I have answered my own poll - if all of you are for opposing the Crown, I would have to resign my commission or go with you," she replies to Sengovax.

(Finist`Escadr) "And at the heart, I must see their reasons for making their decision. It may not matter to you, but it does to myself and I hope to the rest of my colleagues." He was visibly displeased with her mockery even of the opposing camp. Strictness and decorum forbade such.

* Ketara laughs softly and shakes her head. "She's right. Meeting with the Council will do no good if we aren't prepared to take risks to make our point. I thought, your Honour," she turned to Finist, "that you were rather adamant about not swearing in Tespin Vloress. Are you willing to change your opinion to save your position and ahh..honor..if you don't agree with their reasons?"

(Finist`Escadr) "I am only saying I have insufficient information right now," he returned briskly.

(Takani) "I will follow Finist's lead in this matter, as I am new to this city and its ways." The retired paladin adds her two bits in quietly. It wasn't really surprising, that the two goodly cleric types would side together, even if Takani followed a different god. "If nothing else, a meeting with the council will give us better ground to work from."

(Segovax) "But one of the reasons we are here is a dislike of ambiguity of language, eh, Seward?" He smiled tersely, and cleared his throat once again. "May I suggest, then, that at the very least, we none of us grant Tespin Vloress citizenship until a meeting with the Council can be arranged?"

(Finist`Escadr) "I agree in full with the Honourable Segovax," he stated.

(Lytia) "There is no ambiguity of language in the law, Sengovax. 'The Reigning Monarchs, or the appointed Regents thereof, may grant citizenship to individuals they find deserving, without the recommendation of the Chancellery' is pretty clear to me."

(Segovax) "And grants such broad reaching powers as granting citizenship based on the ingredients of regional soups."

(Lytia) "It does. Just because we don't seem to like it does not make it ambiguous," Lytia replies serenely, reaching one slender hand to take up her wineglass and indulge in a sip. "I would submit that, were we to plot against the Council, we would need to agree at least on that much before the applicant comes to us on the Councilman's incorrect instructions."

* Ketara nodded and gathered her letters, folding them up. "That is reasonable, for now, but I fail to see how we will convince the Council to give up its .. how did you say...'far reaching powers' without the will to take risks. As for the applicant..Tespin Vloress daughter is an acquaintance and I'm certain I can stall her, though I regret the need to do so."

(Finist`Escadr) "Were the decision mine alone to make and I did not have to consider the needs of the council, and of the city's stability, I would vote to deny citizenship to Tespin Aridia Vloress. The situation however is much more complicated. I will take the time until the meeting to go over all necessary documents again and again to formulate a firm decision by the meeting's conclusion. "

(Takani) "I for one will not consent to grant citizenship to a self-proclaimed murderer." The old woman comments, her voice sharp, dark eyes flickering with emotion. "There can be no redemption for the murder of, in her own words, thousands. I listened to her testimony to the good Councilman and His Majesty himself, and I am quite frankly appalled that they would still agree to give that... thing... anything beyond enough rope to hang herself."

(Lytia) "The moment that either the Council realizes it can just administer the Oath of Office itself or that the applicant presents herself and her witnesses is the critical moment. After that moment any hope of doing anything will be lost, irregardless of how many meetings we hold with them."

(Segovax) "Perhaps the fact that the Council has not administered the Oath itself simply shows how out of touch with the people the Council is."

(Resque) ((It can't. Technically, citizens have to be sworn in by Chancellery personnel. And only the Chancellery keeps the List of Citizens. Just FYI.))

(Lytia) (In the laws, though, it says it can confer the title on whoever.)

(Lytia) (' If the Chancellery determines that the candidate should be granted citizenship, the prospective citizen must take the Oath of Loyalty. The oath is to be administered by the Crown, its Regents, or any Crown official that has been expressly granted the Authority to administer the oath.

(Resque) ((But the Council is out of touch. And, from what I understand, the Council can confer, but the Chancellery actually puts it on paper. Adds the name to the List of Citizens, but whatever.))

(Lytia) (I would assume that that, plus the other provision quoted earlier, would mean that the Regents could do anything up to putting the name on the list.)

(Resque) (Well, play it out. I might be confused. ;) Sorry to interrupt.)
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Truths and Treasons II (The Vloress Affair)
Authro: Tom Long
Date: 25 September 2003

(Lytia) "I do have a proposal. As we are not all committed to a single line of thought, not all of you will like it, but I believe that it is at least the first step toward whatever resolution will come of this," Lytia says, settling back into her chair and folding her hands over her stomach, fingers laced together.

(Segovax) "That proposal being?"

* Ketara tucks her folded letters into her pocket and looks at Lytia questioningly.

{Takani) Following Ket's lead, the paladin gathers up her own letters and tucks them back inside her robes, waiting in silence for Lytia's suggestion.

(Lytia) "The applicant will no doubt present herself to us by way of the Councilman's error. I submit that, when she does, we arrest her - not being a citizen, she has no rights to the contrary - and place such a dangerous criminal in a stasis cell, pending further investigation into her past. We keep her frozen body in the most inaccessible place we can to prevent any sort of 'heroic' rescue, and we use this as a bargaining chip in any negotiations " Lytia's conspiratorial suggestion is presented in a rather matter-of-fact tone, as though it were the only logical thing to do.

(Lytia) "Our right to arrest non-citizens is as within our legal rights as the onions are in Sresar soup."

* Ketara frowned and straightened in her chair. "Don't you think that's rather drastic, your Honour? Tespin Vlorress is something of an innocent in all of this."

(Segovax) "Fair enough. Though, I suggest, for the sake of maintaining image, we not use the word 'arrest' when it comes time to speak with the Council. Unless you feel that the stronger the word, the more heavily the point comes across."

(Finist`Escadr) "Never. The Magistracy will not undertake such a grotesquely antagonizing task as long as I am member of it," Escadr exclaimed, getting to his feet. He brought both palms down on the tabletop. "Tespin Vloress has not committed anything that warrants arrest and I will not be party to such flagrant -perversion- of the law!"

(Takani) "Innocent? This is a woman who has confessed to the murder of thousands! THEY were innocents!" The paladin exclaims suddenly, anger flashing in her dark eyes as she glares at Ketara, taking a visible moment to calm her temper.

(Lytia) "Except for being, as far as we know, a vampire and a murderer of thousands, I suppose she hasn't done anything wrong."

(Segovax) "Hold, Escadr." He waved Finist back down. "Instead of arresting her, we could perhaps hold her in detainment--be it at the Guardhouse, or under watch in her home or an inn. And there is the point that she is no innocent--regardless of what she does now and in the future, her past is not a blank slate."

(Lytia) "It must be stasis, and it must be a very secure location. Anything else would be to invite her escape and our collective misfortune."

(Lytia) "Suppose, for a moment, a woman appeared in your court, Segovax, and confessed to vampirically murdering thousands of people. What would your sentence be?"

(Finist`Escadr) "As far as you know. But this is a ridiculous move. I would deny her citizenship, but to arrest for no cause other than blackmail of the other organs of the law? I thrice refuse."

* Ketara gazes calmly across the table at Takani...specifically her spear. "Perhaps. But it was, as far as she knew, what she needed to do to survive. I've spoken with Aridia about the life she led and how she came to be in both her vampiric and current states. Her daughter is engaged to a guardsmen...put her in stasis and you risk making a martyr out of her. Unless you plan to never bring her out." She eyed Lytia curiously.

(Lytia) Lytia coughs discreetly. "I am sure that, once appropriate inquiries and negotiations are concluded, this situation would not exist and the applicant would be free to go, provided she does not turn out to be a thousand-times guilty of murder."

(Segovax) He held Lytia's gaze evenly. "Death, of course. Blood for blood--that is acceptably moral. Vampires are hellwights of a high degree. And again, arrest, I say, may be too strong a course of action just now. Unless, of course, she -agreed- to be placed under stasis."

(Lytia) "It's not too strong an action. It's within our purview of powers. I only suggest it to the body so that we might present a united front within any negotiations with the Council. After all, without the Lord Chancellor to overrule us, I suppose that, legally..." She marks Segovax's eyes with her own cold blue ones, "any given one of us could theoretically intercept the applicant and pronounce the sentence."

(Finist`Escadr) "There will be uprising in the streets. The Chancellery will alienate all with your decision and spawn further lawlessness. In the name of justice and order, I cannot let this come to pass," he replied and his eyes lit up, metaphorically, with righteous zeal.

(Takani) Takani doesn't have a spear, Lytia has a spear. Takani has a two-handed broadsword across her back. "There is no excuse for surviving from the murder of other sentient beings. No excuse whatsoever. Had I come across her any time in my past before my retirement, she would be spitted across my blade for that, but simply because I now serve this city does not mean I will permit such a fallacy." The old paladin was obvious having a terrible time containing her anger, as she suddenly stood, and stuffed her notepad back into her sleeve. "I require time to contemplate. If there is nothing else that cannot wait...?"

(Segovax) "And if we set a precedent and give murderous undead beings citizenship, what then? Do you think no one will protest to that?"

(Lytia) "I rather doubt there will be a popular uprising. We have evidence suggesting she's a murderer on a grand scale and a letter threatening to do us harm if we do not accede to the writer's wishes. The only way that we would have a popular revolt, in this city, is if the common people all had your sense of principle," she uses a polite euphemism, "Finist, which I doubt."

(Lytia) "Besides, we are not arrogant nobles and pirates like the Council is. The only reason I suggest such a ..drastic action, a perversion of the law, as you put it, is that we are faced with one in return. While our course of action may be regrettable and drastic, it is also one that is for the overall good, whereas the Council proposes something that is not for the good."

* Ketara sighs and shakes her head. "Aridia had nothing to do with her lover's letter and she has attempted to atone for the mistakes of her past - however impossible that may be - again and again. It's unfair to crucify her if it is unnecessary. You are asking that we arrest her, place her in stasis and destroy what name she's built when it may not be necessary. How does that make us any better than the Regency Council?"

(Finist`Escadr) "It is nonetheless madness. The governing organs of the city will be at each other's throats, and that is most certainly -not- for the greater good."

(Segovax) "I would rather see one confessed murderer wronged than the people of this city as a whole wronged. The people are being ignored for the sake of this one woman, this confessed killer, this lover of one who threatens us harm. And," he glanced at Finist, "If we are to be at one another's throats, then the good that comes out of it could be an avoidance of future such situations."

(Takani) "Then refuse the woman's citizenship, as you suggested, and bide your time. Let the council make the first move, and be prepared." The towering ex-paladin suggests, remaining on her feet, and folding her arms across her chest.

(Lytia) "I see. So when the Council begins to realize how arbitrarily it can act with regard to the administration of this city," Lytia says in an overly pious tone, folding her hands in imitation of a beatific cleric, "Our sterling moral example will dissuade them from overpowering us."

(Finist`Escadr) "We can overpower them by denying citizenship, without having to put the woman into -stasis.-" Escadr iterated dangerously. "And I say unto you, Lytia Seward, I will not tolerate mockery."

(Segovax) He snorted. "It grows late, and our words seem to grow only more virulent, our stance more and more fractured the later we remain awake. I suggest we all part for the evening and take time to consider what has passed here this evening." And Blake really needs to go to bed.

* Ketara shifted and scowled, obviously becoming agitated. "If it were necessary, I would agree with you, Seward, but Aridia's daughter is a friend and Aridia Vlorress and I have spoken about her citizenship in the past. I can stall her and if it becomes necessary to arrest her, I will do so. I simply see no need to be rash with the life of any subject."

(Takani) With a grunt, and a faint bow, the paladin simply turns and heads for the door. "I agree. Let us adjourn before we tear at one another's throats."

(Lytia) "Ah, friendship, that good companion of a judge," Lytia says acidly, and then finishes her wine in a long gulp. "Fine, fine. I surrender. I submit. I throw myselves on the tender mercies of the friendly and those who will not be mocked. Let's go have a meeting with the council without any bargaining chip whatsoever - I am sure that between our collective desire not to be mocked and our friendliness, we'll win them over."

(Lytia) Lytia whirls and stalks out of the room, along with her spear.

(Segovax) He grunted again, and rose from his bucket. "You may all go if you wish. I don't wish to pay anymore than I did for this room--I will see to setting it to rights again." he began to arrange the furniture as it had been before the meeting, while the mun heads off for bed.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Letters - Stygian, et al.
Author: Kel Russell
Date: 25 September 2003

*duplicates of a single letter are delivered to many people. Stygian, Kylus (wherever he may be), and the others that got the first letter would find this, along with a return address. (Imagine the shock).*

My dearest and closest friends,

I'm in the Beastlands! It's good to be home, flying where I will and not worrying about being male or female, being a professor or an inn-keeper, a baker or anything else. I miss you all terribly, but I'm making it.

As you can see, I'm not deceased. Yes, everyone's favourite man in a dres-- ROBE... stopped me. He made me realise just how many people would miss me ... and how many people I would miss if I were still able.

I'll be sending some treasures along soon, don't you worry. Exotic things that I've been finding during expeditions! Resque, I still use that everlasting ink-pen you gave me so long ago. I find it very useful not to need an inkwell anymore. I still cherish it. Imagine me smiling because I am.

Stygian, I found a lovely dres-- ROBE that I think you'll like. It's a deep dark burgundy trimmed in the loveliest amber thread. The amber glitters when the sun hits it, since you've finally begun wearing different colours after that ... unfortunate brown incident. I still remember it ... Imagine me lauging, because I am.

Kylus, I think about you and decided to keep that holy symbol. I will see you again someday! This I promise you! I still believe all that I said before you left. I'm smiling again.

How're my pets? Is the owl annoying anyone yet? What about my cat, and my ferrets? What about the stuff in the basement? How's that doing? That statue of Ilmater? If any of you could get a church erected to Ilmater, I'll personally fund it. I've got plenty of money to send if anyone needs it. There's not much need for money in the Beastlands, you know. So ... please let me know if you need anything, any of you!

I hope you will all forgive me for the times I acted wronly while inflicted with one thing or another.

OH! You'll all be happy to know I've not been cursed, ill, or otherwise maimed, injured, or inflicted since I came back here! How wonderful is that?! I'm laughing now. I still remember my pet rock ... and that piggy back ride. I'm laughing harder.

I need to go and find something to eat. My appetite has never been the same since I took off that ring that your wife loaned me, Stygian. I'm hungry all the time, still! Of course, I did wear it for two seasons, didn't I. Ah, well. I'll be alright.

Ah, yes. You'll be thrilled to know that I'll soon have children! Yes, yes, you'll all be wondering how in the hell I can have children, but I won't tell you that right now. I'll just tell you that I'll be a parent soon. I've decided to be the one to care for them, letting the other go off on its own merry way. I've grown quite humanesque since my brief stay at the BlkDragon. I still miss it... and all of you.

I don't know what I'll name the children, as there will be two. My current mate is resting right now, and I have to get it some food after I'm done penning this letter. Its name is Linufa. It's rather a nice Lillend, and I think all of you would like it. It looks male, but has female insides, so can hold children unlike me. It's rather complicated to discuss, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm hoping that my children will be less curse-magnets than I was. My mate, Linufa, is the loveliest crimson-scaled thing with deep purple, maroon, and black feathers. It was the plumage that caught my eye. Such a gorgeous creature, too bad you all can't see it. I'm sad now.

Okay, I've stalled enough. My mate needs food and I'm procrastinating. It likes to hear stories about when I was in the BlkDragon, though. Its favourite is when I berated Kylus and Stygian for their silly little feud they have going on. I'm laughing again.

Okay, okay, my mate is getting anxious now. I should really go and find some food for it. I went ahead and sent the gifts that I could with the letters. All of you get duplicates of this letter thanks to a nifty spell I learned.

With all my heart, I miss you all.

Quill

*with the letter, to Stygian is the robe described above, a tome to an ancient god for Resque, though there's a note inside that states "This tome is NOT evil, NOR cursed! I've read it many times and thought you might like it". There are also feathers for each person: deep purple, marron, and black. One of each colour per person. The letters are sealed with sugar-pink wax, a large "Q" stamped in the middle*