Proposal for City Council Vote 12.III.488

Drache's City Hall, home to the mayor's office and the city council.
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Proposal for City Council Vote 12.III.488

Post by laytrayin »

I, Floxod Aridia Vloress, current Sitting Councilwoman call for a vote regarding Summary Judgements. I know this has been voted on before but I think perhaps it is a good idea but only in proper hands. I propose that Summary Judgements be allowed only to currently sitting Magistrates and our currently sitting Sithire, the Lady Auxerre. NO ONE from outside of them should be allowed to pass Summary Judgements (especially not Lord Dreth) without being detained as Obstructing Justice. I ask this be voted on soon.
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator
Characters: Uzzo, Welkith`Quarek, Weiss(?), Tiny`Spider

Re: Proposal for City Council Vote 12.III.488

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

My apologies, Floxod Vloress, you'll have to excuse my lack of clarity concerning the impetus behind this issue. Were you not previously in favour of abolishing this "tradition" that was in no way supported by the laws of this land, as shown by the majority vote that resulted in it being labeled a specific affront to our justice system?

As an aside, regardless of its legalities, Sithire Dreth, and any other foreign dignitary, hold absolutely no judicial authority in this duchy.

I, for one, see absolutely no reason to bring this matter up to vote again. Summary Judgements are a glorified method of skipping lawful processes in favour of swift "street justice", rather than respecting the laws of the duchy which explicitly avail protections for citizens against exactly these sorts of gross abuses of power.
laytrayin
Baron
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Post by laytrayin »

It is on further reflection i bring this back to a vote. After Dreth's gross misuse of such I was inflamed. On further reflection I think it is something that should be revisited. if a Magistrate is present at the time of a crime then i think a Summary Judgement might be worthy of note and time saving. It should be further noted that -only- a Magistrate or our -own- Sithire should be allowed such a thing.
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator
Characters: Uzzo, Welkith`Quarek, Weiss(?), Tiny`Spider

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

This councilman wishes to hear of what benefit of note there is in allowing a practice that was, at no point, lawfully supported, to now be implemented as a lawful method of bypassing the legal rights bestowed upon citizens of the duchy. I am more than welcome in hearing out these supposed benefits.

However, before we go any further, we need to address the use of language that has, thus far, been wholly mangled by inaccurate terminology. When we are discussing 'Summary Judgements', it is a misnomer, and moving forward we need to address this accurately and call it exactly what it is: Ignoring Due Process.

If "convenience" is considered a suitable means by which we strip rights from people, for mere brevity, than I for one cannot help but feel ashamed to support a system that shorthands our people and undermines their worth so heavily. We have created a system of laws and protections, to serve both the land and its people, and yet we should allow magistrates to bypass these protections as they deem appropriate? Who is the proposed beneficiary of this measure? It is, without any shadow of a doubt, -not- the people.

Where then, I ask, do we stop? Which other laws and protections can we freely ignore as it suits us? At what point do we draw the line? I, for one, draw the line at the very start. The moment we begin eroding and ignoring our laws, capitulating to convenience, that is the beginning of a treacherous downward spiral.
laytrayin
Baron
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Post by laytrayin »

I withdraw the proposal