For City Council Vote 08.V.489

Drache's City Hall, home to the mayor's office and the city council.
Riddy
Knight
Preferred Title: Riddy
Characters: Varatryx Elisvir, Drama, Day, Evening, Elapidae, Ikara Tivaurd, Malisha Redlain, Larissa Rook, Bambi Thanatira, Warner Valenti

For City Council Vote 08.V.489

Post by Riddy »

Councilwoman Drama Parkatire Raeld seeks to put forth the following proposal on behalf of Floxod Aridia Vloress:

Floxod Vloress seeks an increase in funding for her Back Alley school, which was established and subsidized by the city of Drache after the 05.XII.487 vote. Her initial proposal was to raise city taxes by 5%, and allocate those funds to operation, staffing, and student provisions. However, after reviewing the school's operating expenses via its official records, ledgers, and receipts, I would like to make the following counter-proposal:

For the last year and a half, the school has operated with a running budget of (((numeric amount))). I propose that the City of Drache provide her school with a yearly grant equaling a 20% total increase to the school's operating budget, with the proviso that it be reviewed and adjusted based on actual operating expenses each year. This will provide the school with adequate funding without the need for a tax increase, as its expenses have been minuscule compared to other government projects. Likewise, the school's operations, staffing, and curriculum should come under closer scrutiny by the City of Drache, as an institution that is essentially a public schooling system should not operate under the jurisdiction of a single sovereign citizen, unless there is appropriate governmental oversight.
Riddy
Knight
Characters: Varatryx Elisvir, Drama, Day, Evening, Elapidae, Ikara Tivaurd, Malisha Redlain, Larissa Rook, Bambi Thanatira, Warner Valenti

Re: For City Council Vote 08.V.489

Post by Riddy »

(((numeric amount))) means that it's an appropriate IC number, but let's be honest, none of us are going to calculate the actual amount of in-setting currency it would take.)
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Characters: Ulfric Brynjolf
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

Post by Oblivioncalls »

Councilman Lane Silverbow votes yay with caveats:

I. The grant equals a 10% total increase. I see no need in a 20% increase to funding if operating expenses currently do not warrant it.

II. The reviews and adjustments mentioned are all well and good, but we should be more specific here. I propose the following:
IIa. The school's expenses should be reviewed bi-annually to ensure it is falling within normal operations.
IIb. If the school falls under budget for the fiscal year and money is left over, the extra money can be retained by the school for operating expenses, BUT funding for that following year will be decreased by that amount.
IIc. If the school's operations require more funds during the fiscal year after the grant has been awarded, no extra funds will be made available unless absolutely necessary. (Running out of food, etc..) Extra funds will otherwise need to come out of pocket from the Floxod herself until the end of year review.

I also agree with the proposal to have the schools operation fall under the jurisdiction of the City of Drache.
Riddy
Knight

Post by Riddy »

I agree with the caveats presented by Councilman Lane Silverbow, although we should also regulate how much Floxod Vloress, or any other one individual can fund the school, in order to keep it under ownership of the city, and not one owner or a handful of major contributors.
Suzthulhu
Baron
Preferred Title: Great Old One
Characters: All of them.

Post by Suzthulhu »

I, Natalia Derseblan, agree with the caveats presented by Lane Silverbow, and I support the proposal to place the school under the jurisdiction of the City of Drache.
Elitist Dicks Only
TheOtherOne
Esquire
Preferred Title: TheOtherOne
Characters: Daien and others!

Post by TheOtherOne »

I agree with Councilman Silverbow's caveats, and the proposals should such caveats be taken on board. I also propose an audit of the school's accounts to ensure everything is in order before providing the funding.
dragonwielder
Knight
Preferred Title: dragonwielder
Characters: Aldenaxk, Nicholas, Arreon, Aliana, Neakas, Jerichoni, jeffrey, Arkchar, Jorvek,

Post by dragonwielder »

I, Nicholas, see reason in lane's idea, and agree with it.
From a scale of nay to yay, I'll give this a yay. Not only is this a good source of education, but it will turn lives around. I wish this was around before shuunen made his child orphan cult. If orphans are allowed into this education, we could finally bring this city's street urchin dilemma to an end.
"Arthur, have some faith. Stop doubtin me! I have a plan. we just need more time....and money. We'll grab a boat and go to TAHITI"
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

Post by Oblivioncalls »

Though Councilwoman Raeld implied it, it should be stated clearly for the record:

For budgetary reasons I would like to add an additional caveat, that the Floxod be considered an employee of this institution and thereby of the City of Drache, and not just an outside source of funding.

My vote is still yay, provided aforementioned caveats are followed.
Riddy
Knight

Post by Riddy »

I accept Councilman Silverbow's caveats, as they made explicit what was implied. Shall we appoint Floxod Vloress as headmistress?
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

Post by Oblivioncalls »

So Councilwoman Raeld's full proposal as it stands currently:

A full and thorough audit, a yearly grant equal to current operating expenses plus 10% and a bi-annual review. If operations fall under budget, the review will find the grant decreased by that amount, but said surplus can be used by the school that following year in addition to the grant. Only emergency funds will be granted when the case warrants such action. And the school will henceforth be under the jurisdiction of the City of Drache, appointing the Floxod as headmistress.

Will there be any further changes or should we put it to a final vote?