The Kingdom of Arangoth is presently divided into five general regions, each governed by a Sithire or other body, with two capitals. The north has its capital at the restored city of Tagrana, where King Arlok and Queen Melinxa rule for most of the year. The rest of his time is spent in the southern capital, the city of Drache, ruled by a Sithire.
The First Monarchy
From 465 until 469, all Arangoth was loosely ruled from Drache. King BLKDRAGON and Queen Alysia "AngelSin" made what was a small fishing hamlet into their national capital in 465. The pair were only visible rulers for a year before entrusting the management of the kingdom to their Regent, The Raven. Even the Regent was rarely seen in Drache, or anywhere else in Arangoth, and Castle Black became a mysterious place where only the castle staff lived. So Arangoth was essentially without a head of government for three years, yet somehow its people and institutions survived relatively unscathed. A great many Arangothians are still loyal to BLKDRAGON and AngelSin, but this situation is slowly changing, now that their absence and tacit abdication of the crown are clear.
The Northern Arangothian Estates
Northern Arangoth is governed from the rebuilt Royal Palace in Tagrana, where King Arlok and Queen Melinxa rule. Under the King and Queen, the most powerful figure is Palatine Perlim Larkspin, who is the senior-most member of the Northern Arangothian Estates. The Estates are a parliament-like body, representing mostly the noble and mercantile classes, that gathers once a year (mid-July) in Hornath ul-Marfed to vote on various issues. In 466, the Estates voted to offer the crown to AngelSin and BLKDRAGON in Drache in return for a confirmation of their traditional rights and privileges. There was no response from Drache. In 469, with the return of Prince Arlok (a lost heir to the throne who had been in an enchanted sleep for 54 years), the Estates voted to declare him king instead. Shortly afterwards, Northern Arangothian armies restored order in a large part of Ruthmarna, which had been overrun by bandits.
Bringing Southern Arangoth Together
While Northern Arangoth, Ruthmarna, and Eastern Arangoth all acknowledged Arlok as king, the provinces of Southern Arangoth, including Drache, did not do so. In First Seed (March) of 470, the elders of the Sresar Vale, upset by the lack of Valesmen on the Regency Council, gave their allegiance to Arlok in return for an agreement that granted them similar privileges to the Northern Estates. The following month, Sir OneStab, a close friend of BLKDRAGON and AngelSin testifies before the Council that AngelSin and BLKDRAGON had never intended to return and had formally abdicated a few years ago. Though The Raven was named as King in this lost document, there is some question as to the appointment’s legal validity, especially with the appearance of a candidate of royal blood. Arlok and the Council entered into negotiations on reconciliation of the divided country.
In Frostfall (October) of 470, these negotiations brought about a reunification of the kingdom with Arlok as King of all of Arangoth. Arlok signed an agreement limiting his power with the Council, mirroring those with the Elders of Sresar Vale and the Northern Estates. The Council retained provincial level control over Transdariania and Arania and jurisdiction over maritime matters, and the south was allowed to keep its distinctive law code. Drache and Hornath ul-Marfed were named as co-capitals, between which Arlok must split his time.
Civil Unrest in Elvendeep
In First Seed of 471, negotiations between elven Governor Topaz Silverbow and King Arlok ul-Dorn resulted in the proud Confederacy of Elvendeep becoming a crown province of Arangoth, guaranteed rights but ultimately under the authority of the Arangothian crown. This seemed to foment displeasure at Silverbow’s regime, as a second Civil War would soon follow. Observers suspected the decision might have been fear at the quick revival and deadly threat of their old foe, the orcish nation of Zul Kiras. Though Arlok has governed Elvendeep with an extremely light touch, granting it virtual autonomy, this arrangement is still far from popular. Time will tell whether this arrangement will last, or provoke further civil unrest.
Birth of an Heir
In Frostfall of 471, King Arlok and Queen Melinxa officially announced the birth of the new heir to the throne, Prince Emereth ul-Arlok, Grand Duke of Ruthmarna. The prince had actually been born the previous spring, but the Royal Family had employed an old Crown Policy for protection of susceptible infant heirs from magical attack. Illusionists and Royal agents had been utilized to hide the pregnancy and first several months of Emereth’s life for his safety.
In Hearthfire (September) of 472, King Arlok announced that the restoration of Tagrana, begun two years previous, was nearing completion. Tagrana became the new co-capital of Arangoth with Drache, replacing Hornath ul-Marfed when the Royal Family officially took up residence in the rebuilt Royal Palace. Other landmarks in the city include a giant Grubball arena, new home to the grubball team Tagrana Memorial, which of necessity had been based out of Hornath ul-Marfed for years. The Council funded a memorial garden there for Alysia and BLKDRAGON.
List of the Kings of Arangoth
- TAGRAN [b. 21 BT, d. 31] (reigned 1 BT - 31)
- ARDUIN I [b. 6, d. 58], son of Tagran, reigned 31-58.
- AMURATH [b. 32, d. 64], son of Arduin I, reigned 58-64.
- FORBAN I [b. 35, d. 101], Amurath's brother, and the second son of Arduin I, reigned 64-101.
- HERBORD [b. 65, d. 117], son of Forban I, reigned 101-117.
- ANSKAR [b. 92, d. 158], son of Herbord, reigned 117-158. Founded the Royal University.
- GERD [b. 127, d. 174], son of Anskar, reigned 158-174.
- RAFOLD [b. 153, d. 197], son of Gerd, reigned 174-197.
- ARDUIN II [b. 189, d. 238], son of Rafold, reigned 197-238. Had two sons: Aladar (his successor) and Forban [b. 212, d. 259]
- ALADAR I [b. 217, d. 261], son of Arduin II, reigned 238-261.
- WARE [b. 249, d. 339] (reigned 261-339), grandson of Arduin II, son of Prince Forban. Called Ware Sith (Ware the Great) Daughter Lumera [b. 279, betrothed 295 to Prince KaSeka of Rondis, captured 296 by the Assi.]Son Aladar [b. 281, d. 334] [m. 297 Princess Palandra of Rondis, sister of Prince Kaseka (by proxy; they only met in 302.)]
- FORBAN II [b. 308, d. 359] (reigned 339-359) son of Prince Aladar and Princess Palandra (of Rondis).
- ALADAR II [b. 336, d. 397] (reigned 359-397) 1st queen: THRINDA [b. 356, m. 374, d. 379]. 2nd queen: ROSEBUD [b. 369, m. 383, d. 390?]. Aladar and Rosebud retired from public life in 384. Children (of Aladar and Thrinda): daughter Ethrena [b. 376], Dorn [b. 379]. Children (of Aladar and Rosebud): Arduin [b. 389].
- DORN [b. 379, d. 415] (reigned 397-415, son of Aladar and Thrinda); came of age in 399. Queen: Sarphe [b. 380, m. 1st (393) Sir Aritz Dollitrog [d. 396], m. 2nd (396) Prince Dorn. Children: Arlok [b. 397], Oryan [b. 399], Ware [b. 400, d. 455?]. Ware in turn had a son, Forban [b. 418?, d. 457?], whose daughters by his wife Marias [b. 420?, d. 465?] are Alysia alias ANGELSIN [b. 440?] and Narisa [b. 447?].
--Fifty Years' Interregnum (415-465): no king or queen of Arangoth.
- ALYSIA, called ANGELSIN (reigned 465-467). King: BlkDragon.
-- Regency of the Raven (467-469): Northerners refer to this period as the Regency of Perlim Larkspin, the Palatine of Leptatarna at the time.
- ARLOK [b. 397, held in state of suspended animation in enchanted sleep 415-469] (reigned 469-present). Queen: Melinxa. Children: Emereth [b. 471]