Diced Combat

Can't get a hold of an operator in channel? Need help connecting? Want to make a suggestion? Questions regarding lore, history or the setting can be asked here.
VII
Esquire
Characters: Divolvir
Atreiyu
Derrick
Ciaran
conDracul
Foraii

Diced Combat

Post by VII »

The issue may or may not strike some people, but I thought I'd bring it up. When I participated in the tournament, it was an amazing thing. It wasn't based on stats, I didn't need to keep track of damage output, it was just a simple thing. A ten-point system where each hit you take brings you down a point.

I love the concept. And, although open combat doesn't necessarily happen a lot now a days, I thought that when it did, we could move ourselves to that same system using GameServ. No muck, no fuss, and hell, maybe there would be a combat dice channel separate from the BDI.

The only reason I bring it up is that I'd like to see more combat done, maybe not in the general BDI channel, but just to help flush things out. But, there comes the problem of people having characters for decades, and thinking that gives them the one up. I'm not really stating anything new, but I do feel that a diced combat system only would level the playing field so it's really something for chance.

And hell, the combatants could even collaborate in PM on how they can best react to the action. Like, maybe they aren't looking to deal damage, but they want to maneuver their character to a vantage that if it does, it looks horrendous when the dice gives them the hit.

This is really just an idea I've been going on, so I wanted to pose it to the community and see how you guys feel about it. No fighting, no flaming, just a plain question wanting YOUR opinion.

Cheers.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Preferred Title: Marog the Destroyer
Characters: Aezra
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

Re: Diced Combat

Post by Nymphetamine »

In case this was missed, and recording it for posterity here:

#BlkDragon*Arena is a channel that is always open. The bots are the only ones sitting in the channel at the moment, but it's always there, and always made available to any player who wishes to use it. Typically, when fighting in the arena, the dice rules prevail. The use of dice in combat, in BDI is never going to be made mandatory, save for use in the channel sponsored tournaments for the sake of impartiality.

That said, however, if you wanna start a Drache Fight Club (omg, do it), and you wanna use dice and the arena, have at it. Additionally, diced combat can be used in any situation as you'd prefer, as long as the participants agree to use dice ahead of time.
Last edited by Nymphetamine on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VII
Esquire
Characters: Divolvir
Atreiyu
Derrick
Ciaran
conDracul
Foraii

Post by VII »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Loendal
Characters: I'm very much old school... Names that might not even be remembered anymore: Loendal, Drifmear, Talinon, Balfamor, Tigole, Tyranos, Skelextrix, Evish

Post by Loendal »

When I was a more regular visitor, we had fights on a pretty regular basis over in the Arena. We used a 2d20 system; the way I always played it (As did those who fought against me) was generally a description made of two attacks, or perhaps one big one and then the dice were rolled. I think anything above 15 was a hit, and reacted to appropriately. In my book, a 20 was critical (As tradition goes... So goeth I ;) ) and EXACTLY what they typed was what happened, no deflection of the damage or anything like that.

It was fun, and you had to be creative on both sides of attack and defense/retaliation.