Honor Thy Father

Drache is the present-day capital of the Kingdom of Arangoth and lies at the mouth of the River Darian, surrounded by the city docks all along the waterfront. Click here for information on the various suburbs and areas of Drache. You can also click here to view a sketched map of the city.
Varian
Characters:  
Varian apBlanc duMonde
Amarex duMonde
Marin Taldett

Honor Thy Father

Post by Varian »

It was just after the Third Late Bell when Amarex duMonde slipped into his rooms above the market. His pace was lethargic, his body worn and his mind tired. Passively, he scolded himself for leaving the main window of the sitting room open, which allowed in the humidity of the night and gave the entire place a damp, heavy feeling. He heaved a sigh and unfastened his sword belt as he made his way to the rack by the hearth, where he most often hung his cloak.

Along with the subtle hints of distant torches and fingers of moonlight, scents of the city had crept in on the back of a thick breeze. With just a passing curiosity, the half-elf noticed there was another perfume among those he'd become so accustomed. He was far too mentally taxed to consider it further. Instead, he slipped off his cloak and draped it over the wooden rack, where it was soon joined by his sheathed rapier. Then, there was movement in the shadows and the half-elf sprung to life and spun around to confront the threat. Swiftly, he retrieved a handful of small caltrops from his cloak and cast them into the darkness, where they exploded into a thousand blinding flashes. The sudden brightness elicited a hiss from the unknown assailant, much like that of a cornered viper.

Using his inherent speed that outmatched almost all opponents he had faced, both mortal and otherwise, the boy leapt from his position and toward the hearth upon the far wall. There, he reached for the weapon above the mantle and freed it from the hooks that it rested upon. A massive broad sword, intricately designed in dark metal, the hilt encrusted with gems of deep crimson, that Amarex had named the "hate blade." With impossible quickness that Amarex could not meet, the creature was behind him. The half-elf spun again and brought his weapon to bear, in a vicious upward slice.

Suddenly, everything slowed. Every shadow in the room around the two of them became thick and tar-like. The boy widened his eyes in surprise, but could make no sound. The inky blackness seeped into his mouth, through his clenched teeth and down, into his throat. He was frozen. Defeated before his first strike.

Silently, he berated himself for being so complacent. That scent he'd detected, different from those of the city below, but still all too familiar. It was the dank aroma of lilacs and wet earth. Now, in its heightened state, the smell made him sick and he thought, were he capable of it, he might vomit. He knew the monster before it was close enough to reveal itself, but the mocking laughter made it all that more apparent.

Varian duMonde didn't even look at the boy as he emerged from the shadows, into the fingers of light that seemed almost fearful of his presence. His pallid complexion shone like a pearl, even in the darkness. His violet eyes followed the path of two of his fingertips as they traced the line of the blade the half-elf once held, but now lingered in the air between them, light as a feather but impossible to move. The vampire tsk'ed and shook his head slowly. "I'd thought you smarter, Silas." he said in a venomous whisper, as he spoke the boy's true name. "Did you truly believe that this weapon, wrought by my hand, would allow you to use it to slay its master?"

In an instant, Varian's face was so near his own, Amarex could almost taste the blood on his father's breath. Every muscle in the boy's jaw flexed and his eyes brimmed with tears of rage and hatred, but still he could make no sound. "Were you anyone else, I'd have torn out your throat and supped on your blood while you choked to death." Varian's features twisted into an expression that was far more suited to the monster that the half-elf knew him to be. Then, the vampire calmed. "How could I take the life of my only son? Though, I have often wondered if you showed any such hesitation when you left me for dead in that fire." His hands closed around the boy's neck then and he screamed into his ear. "FIRE!" And, just as quickly as before, he retreated. His voice quieted again, accompanied by a mirth that reflected in his smile.

"My wayward boy." Varian chuckled and shook his head. "If I didn't already know your grief, your guilt. Not for my life, of course. Oh, how your mother's death in that blaze must haunt you." His violet eyes found Amarex's face again. "I stayed with her, you know. I was at her side, until the very end. I watched her gag on the smoke, suffocating in that chaos, until I could take no more." There was a touch of anger, perhaps even sadness, in the eyes of the vampire. "Then, I released her. I showed her mercy where you did not. Her death is on your hands, Silas." Then, he heaved an exasperated sigh and looked back to the sword. His deceptively slender fingers wrapped around the hilt and brought the thing, effortlessly upward. The wicked edge came near to the boy's chin.

"Fear not. I've not returned to exact my vengeance for leaving me to burn." Despite his words, Varian's expression seemed to tell the half-elf otherwise. In a single motion, the sword turned away and slid into the empty scabbard on the vampire's hip. "No, no, no. I've only come to take back that which is rightfully mine." The sword clicked into place, pointedly. "But not just the weapon, Silas. This place. This city." He gestured toward the open window and beyond. "Drache belongs to me."

From beneath the color of his shirt, Varian pulled a golden chain, at the end of which was an amulet crafted of black gemstone. Between two fingertips, he held it aloft, so that both he and the boy could see it clearly. Within its facets, the gem reflected brilliantly even the small amount of light within the place. "Unfortunately, I cannot abide such a capable hunter to roam the streets while I make my return." His smile emphasized his sarcasm.

As the gem turned before his eyes, Amarex began to feel the tar-like shadows around him tighten all the more. From the floor, a thick and acrid smoke bubbled up and slowly consumed both he and his father, until neither were visible.

When the smoke dissipated, only Amarex remained in the room, free of entanglement, the "hate blade" sheathed at his hip. With a wicked, satisfied smile on his sharp, youthful face, he dropped the amulet beneath his shirt once more and made his way out of the place and back into the sleeping city.
Varian
Characters:  
Varian apBlanc duMonde
Amarex duMonde
Marin Taldett

Re: Honor Thy Father

Post by Varian »

In the days and weeks that followed, the presence of the half-elf within the walls of Drache was even less frequent than it had been before. The few neighbors who had come to recognize the boy's comings and goings were, at first, perplexed by the lack of activity. Then, as with most things, it became commonplace, then all but forgotten entirely.

It was with hardly any concern, except perhaps for the hour at which his tenant requested they conduct their final business, that the owner of the building on market square accepted Amarex's notice to vacate the place. Without a waver in his smile, the half-elf shook the man's hand and graciously refused to take refund of the month's rent. He simply hefted the small bag of what remained of his unsold belongings over his shoulder and disappeared into the cold night.