2003 Mail Achieves - Rumor Mill

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

2003 Mail Achieves - Rumor Mill

Post by Jayne »

Drache News Network update #1
Author: Alexander Wood
Date: 20th May 2003

DATELINE - Drache!! Our intrepid reporters are hot on the investigation of reports of increasing vermin activity throughout the city. Rats are out in force this summer, it seems, and large ones, too!

"Why, I saw one in my pantry as big as a puppy," a certain Mrs. Gefaltsur of Princess of Flowers street said. "My dear Kylus wouldn't touch it," she added protectively, pointing at a lazy orange tabby cat.

"Rats!" a noted merchant told our reporter, "They've gone crazy or something. I had a shipment of Sresar grain I was going to sell, and I'm ruined! Left it overnight and it was all gone! I've never seen anything like it."

"We have everything completely under control," one magistrate said when comment, on grounds of anonymity(HINT: we broke the story last month on how she cavorts with dark elves!!). "There are no giant rats in Drache. Everything is fine. Get out of my office or I might think you're trying to steal something."

The Drache Review will keep you posted on all the updates about this GIANT RAT INFESTATION!!! Until then, keep your pantries locked and keep your eyes on any SMALL CHILDREN you may have.

ed: see page 3 for an artist's rendition of the GIANT RAT SCOURGE!
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: 2003 Mail Achieves - Rumor Mill

Post by Jayne »

Grubball: IGA Regional Finals
Author: Marek Swiftblade
Date: 22nd May 2003

Western Regional Game Five

They say that the best show up when needed the best and for both teams, this was the case. With a 3-1 lead in the series, Arangoth was hoping to fend off Zul Kiras one final time, to keep the series from returning to Zirak Zan where they had managed to win a game, though knew that they would likely come back to a game seven. But when playing important games, one must not look ahead and it was certain that neither team did.

Defense was solid on all sides of the field, with flawless play from both forschbowlers. So flawless was the play that at the end of the fifth quinting, the game was still scoreless. The first time in regional finals history that a game went scoreless into extra quintings. The record for length of a scoreless regional finals game was nearly seven full quintings back in 453. Would it be a record-setting night?

Zul Kiras came out blazing at the start of the quinting, nearly getting Arangoth's defense entirely off-balance though Kota the Wolf picked up the slack with kill after kill. He finished the game with 39. And while the veterans were the ones keeping things together, and fell upon the young guys to break the game open. Magni the Bull broke free of a few Zul Kiran defenders, drawing them towards him before lofting the pass that was caught by Huixon the Brave in center circle to give Arangoth the 1-0 win, and the series win, Kota the Wolf recorded his first career IGA postseason shutout. Arangoth advances to the IGA Finals for the first time ever, and will play host to Aslar.

Eastern Regional Game Five

Tollor 5, Aslar 4

Fin Bosso and Linto Cor each scored two points for the Tollor team, Cor with the game-winner and an assist on the game-tying point. Freb Malek had 32 kills on 36 possible chances to lead all players and Tem Najit
had 29 kills to lead the Aslarian team.

Eastern Regional Game Six

Aslar 3, Tollor 2 (6 Quintings)

Teshii Kariashu scored with just under two minutes left in the extra quinting to lift the Aslar team into the IGA Finals. Tollor was hoping to force a seventh game but they came up just short. Tem Najit led all players with 35 kills. Aslar will travel to Drache for the first two games of the Best-of-Nine championship series.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Grubball Note: Addendum
Date: 22nd May 2003

Disregard the whole first time ever bit for Arangoth as one of our grubball historians pointed out that this was not the case. Those responsible for the misinformation have been sacked, and those that hired them have also been sacked.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Grubball- IGA Finals
Date: 25 June 2003

Game One played in Drache, Arangoth

Grobsorkat ul-Goxairth Arena was packed to beyond capacity as the standing room area was overfilling with people wanting to be a part of the action as the IGA Finals return to Drache, Arangoth. In a testament to defense winning championships, the two teams involved feature two of the top forsch bowlers in all of grubball in the form of Tem Najit (9-3, 2.30 PAA, .921 Kill %) and Kota the Wolf (9-2, 2.14 PAA, .923 Kill %). Needless to say, don't expect any big scoring games with these two proverbial walls in their respective circles.

Aslar is led in scoring by hinter plodder Tshenshi the Insectivore who has 11 points and 7 assists and Teshii Kariashu who has 6 points and 9 assists. These two have been the focal point of Aslarian scoring all season long and are really turning on their gameplay as the playoffs progress.

For Arangoth, a pretty balanced attack all around at the hinter plodder position with Magni the Bull leading the way with 7 points. Three others have 6 and Urcelon has 5. These two teams have breezed through the playoffs to this point, but something has got to give when these two powerhouses collide.

To recap the journey to the President's Cup (if there is another name for this, let me know. I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm terrible at such things), we'll look first at Aslar. In the first round they were up against Northland, whose defense just wasn't enough. Offensively, they were decent, but the gaps in the defense allowed too many points to be scored. Aslar took 2 out of 3 to advance to the second round. The regional semis found them up against Teldanar, and forschbowler Trallabran who earlier set a team-high for kills in one game. This looked to be one of the best match-ups in the regional semis throughout the IGA. Aslar took the first three games in a sweep, and awaited the winner between top-seed Sevule and Tollor.

For the regional finals, it was Aslar facing off against relative upstart Tollor, who looked to make a bit of history themselves. They did force a sixth game, but Aslar came out on top, winning the series 4-2.

In the West, found a more difficult schedule as far as teams went, but the road wasn't as hard as it could have been. The first round sweep of Caern Rhia by a combined score of 15-5 set the tone. Second round found them facing MystHaven once again. The series went four games and when combined with the regular season, caused the two teams to face each other 5 times in the IGA. Arangoth won the series 3-1, and waited to face off against Zul Kiras in a series that many felt would end the Black Dragon run at the title. Luckily for Arangoth, the 3-1 series lead upon their return to Drache let them play at home in a chance to clinch the series, which they did in a stunning 1-0 6 quinting match. Which brings us back to Arangoth now, for Game One of the IGA Finals.

As expected, it was a low-scoring contest though that didn't mean that the home crowd didn't have anything to cheer about. Tem Najit did lead all players with 18 kills on the night, as Kota the Wolf had only 13, but at the end of the contest, the score had Arangoth with one more
point. Sir Den Bedwyre and Den Horsehead each had a point as Arangoth wins the first game of the finals 2-1.

Game Two was something of a milestone for Arangoth's forsch bowler and the crowd was certain to let him hear it. Kota the Wolf was perfect in home circle stopping all 32 scoring chances that came his way and Arangoth wins the second game, 2-0. Magni the Bull and Huixon the Brave scored for Arangoth who went on to Aslar with a 2-0 lead in the series and a chance to nearly put the series away if they could win the next. A nine-game series, as the Finals are, gives a bit of leeway but no team wants to go down three games right from the start.

Back in Aslar, the crowd played the extra man on the field, letting the Arangoth players know exactly what they thought about the opposing team. Laigisha Baghlak scored two first-quinting points to give Aslar a lead that they would never lose. Arangoth got on the board in the third quinting as Magni the Bull scored his second point of the Finals, but Teshii Kariashu answered just four tip-offs later. The final in Aslar was a 3-2 victory for the home team, bringing them right back into the series. Kota the Wolf had 31 kills to lead all players while Tem Najit had 29.

Looking to tie the series at two games a piece, Aslar came out of the gates hot, scoring another two points in the first quinting. But Arangoth is not known for lying down, and they showed proof of that as they scored three in the second quinting. They added another in the third before Aslar tied the game in the fourth quinting, and at the end of regulation, the score was still tied at 4 points each. Bonus play for the players and the crowd. And while Arangoth has a potent forward attack, it was a midfield man by the name of Abraxas Caros who tallied the final point of the game, giving Arangoth the 5-4 win and a 3-1 lead in the series as they would return to Arangoth.

And so, Game Five back in Arangoth in the city by the Darien. A win all but closes the deal for Arangoth and a win for Aslar brings them back into it once again. Much like the previous game, this won went to the sixth quinting with the score tied at 4 each, but this time, it was Aslar who would come out on top. Keshini Raliminga, another midfield man, scoring the game-winner and giving Aslar the 5-4 win and bringing them back into the series down only 3-2 and returning home.

With the win in Game Five, Aslar returned home with hopes of evening the series and making sure that one more game would be played for the home crowd. Arangoth had other ideas, though, and that was to get business taken care of quickly and effectively. Quickly didn't come to be, but they were effective. Kota the Wolf allowed only one point on 23 chances while Urcelon and Lord Bingswanow added the scoring for Arangoth who won the game 2-1 and gave themselves a chance to hoist the President's Cup before the home crowd in Drache.

Teshii Kariashu scored his third point of the series late in the first quinting to give Aslar the lead, a lead that would hold until the fourth quinting when Huixon the Brave managed through the defense to tie the game. Three tip-offs later, he added another point which would prove to be the game-winner and the series-winner. Kota the Wolf had 29 kills on 30 chances and Arangoth was indeed able to hoist the President's Cup before an over-capacity crowd.

Den Horsehead was named the series MVP with his four points and 6 assists. Kota the Wolf finished with a 2.02 PAA average for the series, which is the third best average in Finals history. His Kill % was .918 which placed him fourth on the list by only .003. The cheers and celebration of the crowd continued well into the night as players remained in the arena. Depending on off-season changes, Arangoth could very easily be the team to beat next year as the monkey of two years ago is off their backs.

And there it is, the completion of the 473 IGA season. As I said in the beginning and if you got this far, you rock, all stats, leaders, etc are on the website. AGL to start in a few weeks.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Talk about the city
Author: Dave Dubya Eddings
Date: 7 August 2003

Rumors on the street:

Alesian ball at the consulate at 9pm EST, 8/10/473 (this sunday.) It is advisable to wear formal dress, though weapons are not going to be collected. Festivities include feasting, drinking too much, armed drill by Alesian troops, an unarmed combat match between two contenders, and a more conventional dance.

Alesian ambassador Vedon Galothen is seeking unarmed combatant to fight at Alesian Consulate ball: Reward for victory: 1000 gold. Reward for fighting, 100 gold.

Word of lucrative mercenary contracts are out. One should contact Vedon Galothen (HeySeuss) for further information.

There are also letters of marque (privateering) for issue for work abroad, contact Resque Maessen (MunInFull) for further information.

On the darker side, there are rumors of high pay assassination contract work available overseas. Those considering seeking such employment should contact Alisha Bransultha-Tul (Syren). As this information is more shadowy, it's likely not common knowledge at all.

Four nights ago, on the third day of Last Seed in the year 473, three shiploads of merchant sailors pulled into Drache's ports, their crew disheveled, spouting something about monsters beneath the sea. They claimed to have seen the very skies above the infamous Hell's Eye open, and creatures moving through the stars. Many babbled about the hellish singing chant they heard carried on the wind, and more than one simply flung themselves from the decks of their ships straight into the sea.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Deus Ex Jah Kahn: Side trip part 1.
Author: WilliamT. Hill
Date: 7 August 2003

Jah stood before his fireplace with parchment in his paw. He wasn't too happy but something in the note didn't make him all too mad either. Crumpling the note up and hefting it into the flames, Jah glanced up and over at another figure standing partially off to the side of the mantle. The being had the same features as Lord Jah Kah himself but he was a dark onyx black unlike Jah's greyish hued white. The other heavily noticeable feature was the creature was in full armor, a horse's head's plate barding upon the mantel next to him. Lacking was the one standout feature of Jah's, the unicorn horn.

"Well, what're you gonna do now?", the other Tanar'ri said from his spot by the fireplace. Jah's instant reply was, "Well, I can't go to the Alesian ball they're hosting in honor of their new consulate. I had hoped to go and enjoy some of the revelry, as well as the fighting that's generally frequent amongst their kind and the ladies. They had some pit fight planned and I had intended to install myself as one of the fighters and take an Alesian home as a trophy. Apparently you and I must go forth and answer a call of duty and go off to some celestial homeworld and reinforce the armies already there. So, General Equis, how are going to serve in the name of Hell?"

Lord Shar Equis, Jah's brother, dodged the question as to what capacity he would serve and instead asked another question. "What did you have planned with the Alesians?" Jah sighed and responded with, "Well, what do you think we do with some newfound race or empire? We subjugate them, enslave them, kill them, steal their souls, or simply wreck their lives. The plan was to try and find a way to their homeland and wage war, establish me a another fortress with this handy cube of instantaneous fortress building and let attrition and strife hand me another once proud civilization thats been smacked to their knees. Instead I've gotta go off and serve in some other forgotten plane for some thankless lord and kill a few celestials and their loyalists. This is like the eighth war I've fought in for Hell. You know, for once, I'd like to go and romp and stomp and do my own thing for once. Sitting in the Black Dragon Inn and drinking and stealing and drinking some more got boring."

"That's your own fault Jah.", Shar Equis said, "If you hadn't insulted a lower prince and stolen the nightly winnings at the Friday and Saturday night poker games, you wouldn't be in this situation. Plus, to add to the whole conflagration that you've managed to get under way, you've failed in several missions and assignments given to you by your superiors. Conquering Drache was one of them. Did you ever pull it off? Hmm? Your ability to lie and cheat death won't get you out of this one."

"No, I never did conquer Drache. Despite my ability to run off the royal guard and cause disarray amongst their numbers, it seems as if some force conspired to keep me from achieving my goals. King Arlok is alive and well and remains in power. The royal guard has seemed to revive their numbers and become something of a viable force again. It would take too much time to try ridding Drache of them again. Besides, I seriously doubt I will be missed anyway. Dulcy might miss whacking me upside the head with that frying pan of hers but as for anyone else.... Forget it. I don't have any real ties or loyalties to worry about. I've still got a case of Underworld's left in the cellar that I can take with me to Celesia and drink between charges." Jah rubbed his nose a bit and then glanced down at the fire as Lord Equis spoke again.

"Well, Jah, the hour is at hand.. or paw." Shar glanced over to a gnomish mechanical clock of Jah's that was leaning against the wall. "It is time we met the commander of the forces for the continuity of Hell. He would like to see us in person. Apparently he has a few things to say to you."

Part II

A few hours later and the pair of Tanar'ri were standing in a great hall on a demi-plane in the middle of nowhere amongst the cosmos that consisted of the multiverse. They stood before a throne upon which sat a dark robed figure, enshrouded by shadows. Several guards, also clad in black robes, stood flanking the sides of throne keeping watch, lances in mechanical looking hands. More guards stood in front of the columns and doors that arrayed the great hall. They were armed and clothed likewise, their features unknown except the looks of one hand holding the lance. Many other entities stood, sat, or lingered in some fashion about the throne room, some standing in full sight and some keeping hidden. They all were dressed for war in their fashion and custom. Weapons of all types were visible, from teeth to the obscure like lian daos and githyanki weapons. A patina of magica radiated about the place and auras decorated some of the bystanders. In all, this was an army and no ordinary army assembling and embarking on a crusade for the cause of Hell. A crusade that will last well into the years where lives will be lost and souls gained. Even the gods will take part and an avatar or two were rumored to be in the very room watching the very scene about to take place.

"Jah Kahn, is that you that stands before me? In your crisp white shirt, black pants and a black cloak that would make most ordinary adventurers jealous, not to mention all the other stuff you wear or keep stuffed in the cloak", the robed figure on the throne said.

"Yes, it is, indeed. The one and only. The beast, the myth, and the legend." was Jah's reply. Jah gave a slight bow of his head in a rare display of respect to another entity.

"That is good to hear for I've been wanting to see you in my hall for a very long time. I have a job for you and one that you can't screw up. Something that fits your line of work as a warrior and a master of the puissant arts. I see you've come a long way and have aged greatly but that shouldn't be an obstacle, would it?" The being laughed a mechanical hollow laugh. "I understand from what my spies have told me, you've lost your fortress in hell and your lordship, been beaten up by children, foiled by common townspeople, chased down by champions like Triolus Pyrder and his retinue and whacked over the head by a barmaid with a skillet more times than I care to count." The robed figure paused for moment to let the laughing in the great hall subside before continuing. Jah's shoulders seemed to sag, his head bowed in shame. Even his brother was laughing for what seemed like a while. "You are what we call... a disgrace to what we stand for. Got anything you wish to say before I continue?"

Jah remained silent.

"Very well then. Now that I've gotten that off my shoulders, you are going to be put on probation. We have a great need for a larger army as our forces seem to be getting decimated at a celestial stronghold. Also, I need a few evil entities to ensure that fortress no longer stands in the way of our juggernaut. I understand you volunteered for the assignment. You've been unanimously nominated to lead a cadre of our finest to victory. If you succeed, you'll reinstate your name and honor and I'll allow you to go harass the civilization or realm of your choice. Don't get any bright ideas. You'll be serving us to the best of your ability for a quite some time. That fortress is tough and I'm giving you all the time in the multiverse to breach it and bring it down. Forget about going to Alesian Ball or Alesia itself for now. Just not gonna happen. Maybe in the future but not now. That being said and done, you're dismissed."

Jah's ears perked back up and he stood back up straight, did an about face, his cloak swirling about his form, gradually resting about his form. A voice behind him uttered, "You missing something?" Jah turned around and faced the being on the dais again. "Yes", Jah muttered, "I am." Then he spat on the floor tiles before the throne. "See you in hell. May your worthless hide be damned to eternal torment and may you never find glory or salvation."

Lord Jah Kahn turned back around and stormed out of the great hall as beings stepped aside to make way for his wrath.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Pamflets(The Vloress Affair)
Author: P. Sh.
Date: 12 november 2003

Consider a pamphlet A small piece of paper, yet so much power. For it carried words, and words could be the undoing of empires. Though nothing as grave is about to transpire, consider it, for it is a phenomenon worthy of your attention.

“Citizens of Arangoth – it read – upon this faithful day, we see Magistrates and Councilors clash in conflict, with guardsmen supporting either side, as their see fit. Such blatant display of total disregard for the kingdom’s interests and yours can only be answered in force. It is high time we took rid of our corrupt rulers and made a kingdom for ourselves, for the people. Rise to arms and expel those that have forgotten the duty appointed to them by the people of Arangoth!”

On the back of the pamphlet stands the much debated Edict 0, mainstay of Arangothian law, printed in red ink.

Edict 0 - Support of the Empire:

1. No one shall act in a way that harms the Kingdom, the Reigning Monarchs, the heirs of the Monarchs, their inheritance, or any royally appointed official. Let no rule stand against this edict, nor any heart stray from its intent.

A. This edict supercedes Jurisdiction.

B. Not even the Reigning Monarchs are above the reach of this edict. The Reigning Monarch risks forfeiting his or her Crown and life if the actions of said Monarch endanger the welfare of the kingdom through incompetence or maliciousness, or if the Monarch fails to honor and uphold the rights and privileges granted to the Northern Aragothian Estates, the Regency Council of Arangoth, and the Elders of the Sresar Vale.

Chaos brings forth the worse kinds. Such pamphlets are found all over the city, where one would least expect them to be. Many are found across the homes of the learned and the wealthy, some even make their way into the Church and the University.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Updated Bounty List
Author: J.D. Strausse
Date: 20 November 2003

WANTED BY THE REALM:

(Description of Damur`Redblade) for Assault of a Crown Official.
Reward: 100 crowns, dead or alive.
(Description of Eizo) for Disobeying a Crown Official.
Reward 50 crowns, alive.
Tarns Harscorn for Treason, Kidnapping, Assault of a Crown Official etc.
Reward: 1000 crowns, dead or alive.
Lytia Seward for Treason, Kidnapping, Extortion, Conspiracy etc.
Reward: 1000 crowns, alive.
Ewan Struecker for Conspiracy and Disobeying a Crown Official.
Reward: 100 crowns, alive.
Jah Kahn for Assault of a Crown Official.
Reward: 300 crowns, dead or alive.
(Description of Pardus) for Assault of a Crown Official.
Reward: 200 crowns, dead or alive.
(Description of Syrus`Valiadryn) for Assault of a Crown Official.
(Description of Theodrich`Valiadryn) for Assault of a Crown Official.
(Description of Tyouk) for Assault of a Crown Official.
Any vampire or demon.
Reward 200 crowns, really dead.
Any information leading to the destruction of a vampire or demon.
Reward 50 crowns.

Reward will be tendered to the person or persons delivering the fugitive or, in cases where the fugitive is wanted "dead or alive" or "really dead," the fugitive's head or fangs to the Guardhouse."
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

The Sresar Gazetter: Druids
Author: Alexander Wood
Date: 20 November 2003

EXCERPT FROM THE SRESAR GAZETTER FOR THE YEAR 458: THE EVOLUTION OF THE "SETHRODEL" IN THE ARANGOTHIAN LANGUAGE;

In the Arangothian language, there is something of a dispute over what, exactly, druids are called. In the proper Sresar dialect, the word "sethrod" refers to teachers, scholars, mentors, and druids. Outside of the Vale, Arangothians refer to a single druid as "alfriovath"("tree" given an abstract ending) and a group of druids or the druids as a whole with the irregular plural "alfrinairovath"("forest" given an abstract ending). Within the Sresar vale, all alfrinairovath are sethrodel, but not all sethrodel are alfrinairovath.

Making matters worse, among the order itself, "alfriovath" is a proper title denoting a druid who is a "made member" of the organization, a process that requires many years of tutelage. Outside of the Sresar Vale, if you encountered an alfriovath and his "tialfrigiovath"("seedling"), calling the apprentice "alfriovath" would earn a disapproving scowl from his senior and a strained, but polite request to call them both "sethrod". Within the Sresar Vale, this same linguistic blunder would result in the alfriovath taking out his anger upon you with one of the order's famous curses.

It is also said that among the alfriovath there is another division, marking those who have earned distinct mastery of their order's craft. These "sisalfriovath" have all kinds of rumors surrounding them and their connection with the natural world. In addition to the powers attributed to alfriovath, it is speculated that these grand druids can control the weather, cause abundant or blighted harvests, swim under the ocean as if it were nothing, cause barren women to become fertile with a touch, heal the sick, allow communion with dead relatives, turn themselves and their companions into trees, age backward, stop aging at all, summon animals and protector spirits, cause trees to rise up out of the ground and move as though alive, and on and on. Many popular stories among the Sresar population concern men who have had brief encounters with these revered figures and then gone on to become great heroes or great villains.