July 2003 - Mail Archives

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: July 2003 - Mail Archives

Post by Jayne »

A Hasty Depature
Author: HMC
Date: 15 July 2003

SaFire sighed yet again, arms crossed tight over her chest, leather bodice creaking at the demands of constraint. Her foot tapped a rapid staccato tattoo upon the floor as the scratch of quill on parchment sped up a bit.

Are you ever going to finish?? She was irritated by far. Any other time Ian's preoccupation with a woman enough to pen her a line or two about his absence would have been touching. But she was in a hurry and the delay annoyed her.

Ian looked up and gave his dear cousin a half smile of contrite apology for taking so long. He looked back down at the note and groaned. Drache was going to hate him. He could just see his beautiful little Elven maid crumbling the note up and tossing it in the fire as soon as Dulcy delivered it. Rereading it over he signed his name quickly, adding several post scripts of apology.

Dearest Drache,

I do so detest having to leave your company again but a situation has arisen within the kingdom. I must away with my cousin SaFire to retrieve her daughter Cerewyn I told you so recently about. The tiny heir is in peril danger as a dragon has deemed fit to kidnap her. I wish you could be with us, helping us with this hunt by the Queen has deemed it unnecessary and too much of a risk. She cannot vouch for your safety and you should know in my heart that is the most important thing above all else.

I promise to make this up to you as soon as I can, love. Please believe I would rather be with you but family matters must be attended to at this time.

Yours Ever Faithful,

Ian Elsnorad, Queens Regent

P.S. Please please please know that I will be thinking of you always.

P.S.S. Watch your back and stay out of danger, we don't entirely know who we are dealing with yet and I cannot bear to think of you in harm's way.

P.S.S.S. I love you.

Another sigh and he rolled the parchment quickly, sealing it with wax warmed over a candle and sliding it across the bar to Dulcy with specific orders to give it to the maid Drache at the first sign of her. Looking up to SaFire fairly wearing out a panel of floor with her incessant pacing he nodded and stood to depart. SaFire was very anxious to get to the bottom of this kidnapping plot and he could only as her regent, cousin and friend follow where she led.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Tales From the Past part 2
Author: Jack Allen
Date: 15 July 2003

The time had come, the rumors of the Bloodbane's return had finally reached Arangoth.

The old were telling of the great feats the Red Rounder had performed, the many terrible battles Kinsi and Red survived through, and the partial pieces that were known of the Bloodbane's past. Soon enough word would reach every corner of the kingdom, and young adventurers would begins sharpening their swords, hoping to claim glory through defeating the legendary Bloodbane.

But one man in Arangoth was not happy or excited, Narcician constantly paced his living quarters, muttering under his breath,"this cannot be so...could the Bloodbane truly have returned?"

Of course Drache would receive word sooner than most cities, as it was not only the capitol but also a port city. Soon all the denizens would be searching the crowds for the red man and the gryphon.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Tales From the Past 3
Date: 16 July 2003

Word reached Arangoth that the Bloodbane engaged his first conflict since his return, some pirates had attacked the ship Red and Kinsi were on. Stories told that Kinsi didn't even lift a single claw to the pirates, letting Red steal the will to fight from all of them.

That brought still more excitement to those who knew the legend, it meant that it was more than a hoax, the fabled weapon was really in the hands of the Red Rounder, it had to be the Bloodbane!

Yet at the same time, people were assured that Kinsi was truly Kinsi, for there were stories of the gryphon tearing metals apart that even dragons could not. Surely this was the legendary duo that travelled to the ends of the earth in search of the collector.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Hidden Identity
Date: 16 July 2003

He could no longer hide himself away, merely watching. He'd involved himself with a situation that he found precious to him. Another looked to him for guidance and acceptance, and he would not let her down. To say he was older than time was a joke, for he was time itself, the very essence of passing, an rebirth. He was like a pheonix, passing from one age to live in the next, never revealing himself until now. To say he was a god was laughable, he had not the power to create worlds to rule others, he simply was. When the universe was created, he was watching from the nothingness that existed prior, when the gods created life, he watched from a hidden abode. Never in his life had he ever involved himself with those who must, eventually, fall prey to his curse of time. Yet now he had changed, he'd gone out to see the world that had been created several times over, the world thick with magic capable of destroying even him...and he found a child who needed him.

Pappa.....it continued to ring within his ears, tearing at his heart with the child-like plea to stay. Only now would he reside within the barrier of time, watching all things live and die from their perspective. He had no fear of death, for to kill him would be to kill time itself and was thus impossible, but nor could he kill, or manipulate time to focus upon one person or entity. He was simply the watcher, once he allowed time to exist he had no power. He could only travel from one time to the next as easily as one might snap their fingers, everything was simple and planned. He watched every world, every moment of time that passed, needing no godlike power to do so. There were other entities like him, they alone could destroy him. They were the players on the giant chess board, greater than even the gods. Tales came to his ears of another of these entities prowling about upon this single planet, at this single time...but it was not for that he stayed.

Elisa granted him a name, something no other had ever done. Perhaps it was nothing more than a fantasy, or a title given to him by the girl, but forever after he would be bound to her by means even he didn't understand. Pappa, his name and existence for as long as time saw fit to spare Elisa from passing. He assumed a material form, that of a creature never before seen...a half man, half gryphon, so that he would have the strength to fulfill the name he'd been given. Once before had he resided within his barrier of time, and in that period he had been called many things; freak, monster, and even demon.

Always he appeared to be aging constantly, though in truth he aged not at all.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

The Debt: Part 3 - Demons, Inside or Out
Author: Cathy Seibold
Date: 17 July 2003

((OOC: This one's been a long time coming, and it's mostly SirMikal's. Present-day is set a few days after Part 2. If you'd like to reread any of the stories in this series, they're posted at http://sakwin.tripod.com))

Khana sat by the hearth in the common room of the Black Dragon, her wounds slowly healing from the other day. Still finding it hard to believe that seven long years had passed since she had last been there, she sipped on a mug of cider and casually glanced around. The place had changed so much that initially she thought it a different building, though upon seeing the barmaid, Dulcina, she realized that perhaps she was the only thing that had stayed the same the whole time.

Where once, miniature guild wars erupted between The Claw and various vampire clans, a melting pot of races now mingled at most with their hands on the hilts of their weapons while guardsmen patrolled with decent frequency. While still not the safest establishment she had ever seen, Khana admired any sense of security no matter how weak it actually was. Warriors or clerics, priests or whores, all seemed to intermingle as if, within this building, race, class, and occupation meant nothing. At least until attention was driven to sword point.

A chill swept through the common room as the door slowly opened. As if the king himself had stepped into the room, all eyes swept to the newcomer. Clothed in armor and a cape as black as the night, with a long brim hat, what brought this man notice was either the glowing sword hanging from his waist, or the stare his icy crystal blue eyes cast upon all within. His hair was long and dark, his skin pale. He walked as if his purpose was to do so, his steps eerily silent. He scanned the patrons of the inn once and headed for the bar, and those within his path seemed to hasten from it.

Khana looked at the man, something about him was familiar. Though she knew it was six years since she had seen anyone from this city, she definitely knew him from somewhere. The stare. The look. The sword. It was too improbable to be true, and that scared her more than anything else.

* Six Years Ago *

"I hear you're a bounty hunter," Khana said to the man. Her hands were clasped on the table, and her posture was square and full of purpose. However, since she arrived to meet this famous assassin, she had been full of dread upon seeing him. It wasn't the sight that caused her to fear, it was the void of feeling that could be sensed about him. She had been told once that a man without little feeling and emotion would be a dangerous man indeed. If such was true, then this was the most dangerous man in Arangoth.

The man only stared at her. No, stared through her was more appropriate to say. His eyes were blank as if in a trance, however, Khana could sense that he was well aware of everything going on around him. At his side, his demonic looking sword glowed brightly for a moment then returned to a soft green hue. The man shook his head and finally said, "Aye."

The single word answer to her statement made Khana all the more uncomfortable with dealing with this man. Immediately she wished she had not asked Winsor to stay away while she met with the man. Rather than waste time with familiarities, she decided it would be best to get straight to the point. More for her own nerves than for the purpose of the meeting.

"I think I may have work for you," she spoke, a slight quiver in her voice that could not be hidden.

The man nodded, "Go on."

Khana could feel the tension building inside of her. She had to finish with him quickly or she would begin to lose her mind with fear. "Recently, I was assaulted by a gargoyle named Dortar," she fought the next sentence as the words stung her soul. "He slew my unborn daughter." Slowly she lifted her shirt, revealing the scar left by the dagger blade that had pierced her stomach. The man only nodded indicating she should continue.

"I want him dead," she spat. "I want a dagger in his stomach like he did to me." Tears were welling up in her eyes. The pressure of her loss coupled with the tension this man brought were becoming too much for her to bear.

The man looked at her. In that moment, she knew he was searching her soul for something. Then he closed his eyes and quoted his price, "One hundred fifty thousand." His eyes opened again, "In silver." Khana's jaw dropped. Winsor had said the contract would be expensive, but she had never heard of such an amount exchanging hands. With that much money she could have paid Inamo's debt a hundred times over and still have more money than she'd ever seen before.

With her hopes for revenge smashed by those six words, she closed her eyes and wept in front of a man who would not care how she felt or why she felt that way. A strong hand on her shoulder caused her to look up at the form of Winsor staring at the man. "If that is what it'll take to help my friend, I'll pay for it."

The man looked at the gargoyle a moment, "I expect half of the payment upon the start of the contract, and half upon completion. The contract is binding to only to thyself and I, however, there are rules." The man paused only a moment, "First, I work alone. If I discover another hunter hath been hired, I shalt consider this contract complete, as I shalt be no longer needed. Thus, I shalt expect the rest of what is owed to me." His words struck Khana as similar to those Inamo spoke to Praal. Silently she wondered if all men were as such. Demons either outside or in. Suddenly, Khana feared that the man might be able to read her thoughts, but if he could he gave no indication that he was insulted as he continued in his discourse to Winsor. He spoke for another fifteen minutes, continuing about the ramifications of payments not met as well as other subtleties of the contract, which was, as far as Khana could tell, no more than a gentleman's agreement. However, an agreement that this man seemed to take with deadly seriousness. A meeting place and time was designated for dropping off the down payment, after which, the man stood and bade them farewell.

As he made his way toward the door, Khana felt the tension around her lift. Questioningly she looked at Winsor, who only shook its head, "There is no feeling in that one, Khana. No love, no hate, nothing. That void of feeling scares many people as it can be felt by just being around him."

"If any man was truly dangerous, he would be that man," Khana said as the man left the inn.

Winsor shook his head again watching as well, "Nae, Khana. If any man was truly cursed, he would be that man."
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Unto Tespin Aridia Vlorress
Author: J.D. Strausse
Date: 19 July 2003

UNTO TESPIN ARIDIA VLORRESS:

Greetings,

I regret to inform you that your application for citizenship has been denied. Normally, a denial of citizenship would not be issued until after you and those supporting your bid for citizenship had been interviewed by a Chancellery magistrate; however, your circumstances are, I believe, not at all normal. I am referring to your race. From what I understand, you are a "Fallen" or fallen angel transformed from a vampire that was once human. Herein lay the reason for my refusing you citizenship.

According to Edict 171 § 2 (available at http://www.blkdragon.com/laws.htm), "any legal rights as a citizen or subject of the kingdom possessed by an undead being become null and void at the time of their death and passage into undeath." I read this as a bar to your claim for citizenship. At one time you were human and a subject of the realm and as a subject you had the right to apply for and receive citizenship; However, when you became a vampire, your rights as a subject were revoked by § 2. That you have since been changed into a "Fallen" does not alter the fact that your rights were forfeit when you became a vampire. Arangothian law is silent on the question of how a person who was once undead and now mortal goes about reclaiming the rights that person lost when he passed into a state of undeath. Accordingly, your application for citizenship has been denied for lack of standing.

While it is true that that the offices of the crown may extend legal rights and even citizenship to undead beings with a history of benign behavior and service to the crown, they do so "at their own pleasure." (Edict 131 § 2-A). Presently, the Chancellery has a "no pleasure" policy, which is to say that it refuses to extend legal rights or citizenship to any undead being regardless of benign behavior or past service to the crown.

You are not without redress. You may appeal my decision to the King, Arlok ul-Dorn, or to the Regency Council.

By my hand,

Abraxas ul-Bralk Caros
<Chancellery seal>
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

A Letter to Captain Von Stahl
Author: Marek Swiftblade
Date: 20 July 2003

Disclaimer: As if I need to say that only Captain Von Stahl would read this and only he would know about its contents, unless another has been told. Assume that the guard are abreast of part of the situation, though this is not been made officially public. And yeah, that was the disclaimer.

Unto Captain Von Stahl,

No doubt you are fully aware of the recent killings of the children in this city, however during my investigation, I have discovered similarities within these killings which have prompted this request to you. All of the children are of the same age, 6 years old, and they are all in the same schooling class. It is my request that this class be ordered cancelled until this situation is resolved and moreover, that a state of permanent curfew for young children by instituted. I realize that this request may sound odd, but two of these children have been taken in the middle of the day, with many people around. This is not the case of a wandering child being abducted.

As I stated, this is only a request. I leave the full decision on this matter to you, Captain, though this would be my formal advisement on the situation.

Commander Ilthanas Lanthalasa
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

a letter to the Regecy Council
Author: Aridia
Date: 21 July 2003

Aridia entered the Black Dragon Inn and found a seat at the bar and slowly opened the letter from the Chancellery. She read the first few lines and stopped to look up as tears filled her eyes. She wiped them away after a few moment and feeling devastated read the rest of the letter.

After reading the letter she decided to go read the laws again as she did not have them memorised and wanted to be sure what was cited in the letter she received. Once she had done so she penned another letter this time to the Regency Council and hand delivered it to their offices herself. She then turned for a long walk home.

<<The letter>>

Honorable Ladies or Sirs

I am requesting a formal meeting to discuss a recent letter i received from the Chancellery where my application for citizenship was denied. I will be available to be interviewed and questioned at your pleasure. I will be staying in the Drache at the Black Dragon Inn so i might be easier found by letter or messenger.

A faithful servant to the Crown of Arangoth

Aridia Vlorress
Subject of the Crown of Arangoth
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

a note left at the guardhouse by Aridia
Author: Aridia
Date: 21 July 2003

After returning to her home and spending most of the night walking along the edges of the property calling for her husband and trying to see the extent of the mist covering their land she had returned to Drache. Aridia stopped to leave a note at the guardhouse so if they wished they could find her and ask more questions. What had disturbed her the most were the few bodies she had seen near the outer fringes of the property of both men and beasts that seemed to be rotting before her very eyes. She sensed something wrong with the mist that lay over only their land but could tell not what it was or who from when she stretched her sense. After leaving the guardhouse in the early morning house with a brief description of what she had seen and the request to report her husband Tempus Vlorress missing or possibly dead.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

a letter to the Regency Council
Author: Tom Long
Date: 22 July 2003

To Subject Vlorress

Please be advised that your missive has been received and processed. I have requested your information from the Chancellery and will be reviewing it. Although your choice of meeting place, despite being known as the King's Inn, leaves a touch to be desired for my more pedestrian and mundane tastes it will suit for an interview.

I will send word to the Inn on an appropriate time when said interview may be conducted.

I am, Madam, your servant,

M. Reizeau
<Seal of the Regency Council of Southern Arangoth>