The Plan For BDI's Future (Part 1)

All out of character announcements and news about the channel and site.
Nymphetamine
Admin
Preferred Title: Marog the Destroyer
Characters: Aezra
Azalia Stygian
Eliya Almakira al-Fasaad
Ianesene
Isabelle Auxerre
Nesira Vertal
Rix
Senkessa Silak-Dekhal
Siraz'jah Av'Zathrak

The Plan For BDI's Future (Part 1)

Post by Nymphetamine »

Alright.

So I've been working on this post for a while, and it was originally intended to be all one thing, but given that I've been wicked distracted on IRC a lot of the time, I don't get a ton of time to put into it, for long blocks of time. So, I asked if I should post what I have, and then move onto the next part, and post in a series. Granted, only one person said to do it, and no one disagreed, I'm going with it!

This first part contains the explanation of how we chose the people we did for promotion.

I'm going to be locking this thread, to keep it clear to its purpose, which is to be informative. I'm not interested in debating the choices we made, or the methods we used to select who we promoted. I just want to set the record straight on how we went about the decisions we made, as it seems everyone thinks that I just picked up my buddies and put them in power without any input or discussion from Dan, or Amy.

--------

While we did expect a good deal of controversy and even upset about who was going to be promoted, we didn't expect quite this degree. In retrospect, perhaps we should have, but hindsight is 20/20. Again, in retrospect, this letter should have been written beforehand, and maybe that would have forestalled what happened. It's impossible to know, now. I do apologize for not writing this sooner, however.

How we selected who was chosen:

Without disclosing who all applied, we had ten applicants this go around. Judging from the past op calls there's been, at times, more than double that. Most of the people that applied could fall into three different categories:

* The Saddam Hussein from South Park "I swear I can change" folks (yes, there were more than one)
* The completely new to BDI folks (good on you for volunteering)
* The returnees from the channel's past (you know what you're getting into)

Every applicant was ranked from 1-10 based on a variety of criteria, both personal and professional. What was said in your application, activity in the channel and forums, volunteering and contribution in a few different areas, time commitment, behaviour and adherance to the rules and guidelines, professionalism, how long you'd been with the channel, past experience with BDI, and the inevitable, knowledge that we had of you. One score was given per person, and then a paragraph or two explaining why we felt that way. This was posted blindly on the admin forums.

Once Dan and I had both weighed in, we combined the scores together, and looked at the top scored people, discussing in finer detail why we felt the way we did for or against. We then asked Amy (Ayanula) to look over everything, despite the fact she's technically on hiatus and not on the duty roster for the op team at the moment. She is still someone that started this journey of trying to revive the channel, and someone whose opinion Dan and I both value. While she didn't know a lot of the newer people who app'd, she was able to play tie breaker on the people she was familiar with.

In the end, we took one from each of the above categories. While "completely new to BDI" might be completely new to you, they weren't all new to myself or Dan.

We went with three, despite the controversial choices those three included, so that the voting roster was kept uneven, with no chance of a tie. Given the amount of work that still needs to be done, we chose to go with the larger number as an option.

-----

Edited to remove part of the original introduction that was meant to establish the fact that there were more parts.