Council Meeting Vote (Last Seed: Year 487)

Drache's City Hall, home to the mayor's office and the city council.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator
Characters: Uzzo, Welkith`Quarek, Weiss(?), Tiny`Spider

Council Meeting Vote (Last Seed: Year 487)

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

Current Petitions and Issues to be debated and voted upon:

On the following issues, please vote yay or nay and provide whatever caveats or relevant comments as is necessary.

Revision of Drache's Criminal Code
1a.) George Tamp's petition to the council concerning revision of criminal sentencing within Drache, specifically in reference to clarifying minimum/maximum sentences and terms/fines associated with them and limiting potential abuse of magistrate authority by clarifying acceptable ranges of punishments rather than leaving it to their individual whims. If this petition passes than the council will address any individual changes. If council members vote yes, please address which revisions they wish to see upon this future docket.

2a.) Aldenaxk the Korthai's request for a Letter of Marque.

3a.) Approval of the creation of a Grubball team to serve as Drache's official representative in the sport.

Grubball and Tivaurd
4a.) Concerning Vorfonel Tivaurd's dues in reference to this decision. Discussion on this topic should be expanded upon further, as there's quite a few details to go over. The short and skinny of it however is that in exchange for undertaking the construction of the newly built arena that Tivaurd would receive the rights to the Grubball team. This was approved by Sithire Auxxere, however, the details of this exchange are left to the Drache council itself. Those details consist of but are not limited to:
1.) Wholesale exchange of the Grubball team and all associated rights concerning it fully to Tivaurd, making him its the sole private benefactor, any further public/private beneficiaries will be at Tivaurd's whims.
2.) Offer Tivaurd revenue garnered from Grubball games at a higher rate.
3.) Offer Tivaurd revenue garnered from Grubball games at fixed rate, offset by private shares in the Grubball teams ownership.
4.) Pay Tivaurd in full for construction costs of the new arena and relegate all revenue earned to private/public/government partnerships.
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Re: Council Meeting Vote (Last Seed: Year 487)

Post by laytrayin »

1a.) As we only have had one complaint that I know of for the disciplinary actions taken by the council. I see no reason to change them. As it is dependent on crimes and how many times you have been before the magistrates I see no need to change them.

2a.) I am unsure of this one. As since his arrival I have only seen him fight street duels for coin actually. I have been told of him working for one ship's captain for one instance then refused an offer for captaining a ship before he was taken into the Korthai. He seems a competent man tho so I would not go against him getting a letter of marque just I advise he be watched. Also I do not know our standing with the Korthai as to whether or not they actually -need- a Letter of Marque to operate in our waters as a whole.

3a.) I wholeheartedly approve the creation of Grubball teams. I remember when they sport was widely known before and it brought quite a bit of income to the peddlers, other shops that set up concessions near or in the arena and public works for maintaining such in an orderly or semi orderly way. The fans can get obnoxious but I would back each Duchie having a Grubball team and reigniting the sport.

4a.) Wholesale exchange of the Grubball team and all associated rights concerning it fully to Tivaurd, making him its the sole private benefactor, any further public/private beneficiaries will be at Tivaurd's whims. - While I support this decision I think it should be amended to at least the Sithire having a hand in it as well as a few select beneficiaries. Concessions for good within the arena should also be considered as a split profit between Tivaurd and the government as a tax levied so the concession as well as the government and Tivaurd still make money form this sport, ie food, drink and any sports clothing should be taxed so all make a bit from it. Also it should be noted that Tivaurd should only have a hand in the one Grubball team for and that it benefit Transdariania.

Floxod Aridia Vloress
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

1a.) Vote: No. - As it stands the magistrates, from what I can see, have been relatively faithful to their institutional authority. If further complaints are fielded and potential abuse becomes relevant this matter can addressed again in the future. I believe more transparency in this matter will resolve lingering doubts, particularly concerning the context of their rulings as opposed to its content.

2a.) Vote: Yes, with caveat. - Drache's current standing with the Korthai is as follows: They were paid handsomely for their involvement in the Civil War, and are no longer contracted by the government, all ties have been cut. I have had a chance to speak personally with Aldenaxk, prior to being relegated a council seat, I believe him competent enough to follow the letter of the law. However, the Korthai are pirates, and I believe the uptick in piracy activity following the civil war will undoubtedly be carried out by their hands. Aldenaxk's connections to the Korthai should be monitored, if he knowingly assists or ignores Korthai piracy while under its obligations he should be held as a complacent party to it.

3a.) Vote: Yes. - Drache is long overdue in its efforts to revitalize its standings in the sport, and now with the Civil War over and economic growth slated it should prove a worthwhile investment. A name should be decided by involved parties and shareholders.

4a.) Vote: 3.) Offer Tivaurd revenue garnered from Grubball games at fixed rate, offset by private shares in the Grubball teams ownership - Tivaurd should be granted a cut from associated arena sales at a fixed rate (as the sole property of Drache) as well as those garnered by the Grubball team, rather than having sole control over either entities. As it currently stands the shares of Drache's Official Grubball team should be split evenly between Drache itself, Sithire Auxerre and Tivaurd. Any other private/public shares allotted should be discussed between these three parties at their leisure.

-Floxod Uzzo
Azalea
Knight
Preferred Title: Plant Fae
Characters: Azalea, Justin_Scorch, Sabine, Brindagar, Linora

Post by Azalea »

1a) Vote yes. Specifically I would like to see a listed maximum and minimum of fines. The rest of the punishment can be left entirely up to magistrates whims of course. By the time somebody objects to a fine amount, it will be too late and the system has already been abused.

2a) Vote yes. I don't see any harm in hunting pirates. If one is not issued to Vorfon Aldenax, perhaps one could be issued to the Adventuring Guild and he could hunt them under that.

3a) Vote yes. I agree with Fluxod Uzzo. An organized sport would help people settle down into normal life after the civil war.

4a) Wholesale exchange of the Grubball team and all associated rights concerning it fully to Tivaurd. As long as the proper taxes are paid I don't see why he shouldn't get benefits from the arena that he paid to have built.

~Lady Cecilia of the Odenvault Family and Founder of the Adventuring Guild
Lucidaer
Esquire
Preferred Title: Lucidaer
Characters: Lucidaer, Saeryn, Jinxet, Annanistael, Nyxx, Belarisya

Post by Lucidaer »

Revision of Drache's Criminal Code
1a.) We live in a city were magic exists and even thrives. One great item we have in place against magic's abuse is our justice system. With it's flaws comes a sense of fear and we feel it's much needed. How does one clarify sentencing in a situation that can make no worldly sense? Thus, magistrates should keep the power they currently have to dish out punishment as they see fit on an individual basis. I vote no.

2a.) We vote no. He has been seen on the street as a petty gambler, an alcoholic. Should someone like this, someone we know so little of to be given the power to conduct business under the auspices of our nation? I would say we keep an eye on him and consider it for the future.

3a.) I think this is a splendid idea and it has full support of the Mage's Guild to help keep the sport fair and to prevent magical cheating. Should it be requested by us.

Grubball and Tivaurd
4a.) Floxod Uzzo could not have said it more clearly. I back Floxod Uzzo's vote completely. We agree with his terms and deem them fairly spoken.

Arch Magus Annanistael, Guild Master of the of the Mages Guild
GirlElf
Civic Guard
Characters: Mairead
Alfrith Duranek
Ilivafae'iira Vyz'crul
Kahlia
Arms-Lieutenant Branth ul-Alathar Mitrod

Post by GirlElf »

1a) No, the magistrates do not need their hands tied and discretion removed. Justice without compassion would make us little more than bureaucratic barbarians.

2) Absolutely not! The formation of a coast guard eliminates the need for privateers; and in fact, such privateers would undercut the legitimacy of a coast guard. Furthermore, we are not at war with any maritime powers and this could be interpreted by our neighbors as preparing to make war. There is absolutely nothing that recommends this man as an agent of the state. I see this as nothing more than one man's attempt to use the state to secure his own fortune without contributing to the state.

3) We should absolutely have a team again!

4) I agree with Floxxod Uzzo and Magus Annanistael, the city and Sithire should see some benefits from this.

Lt. Branth ul-Alathar Mitrod
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

1a.) Motion Fails, 4 Nay - 1 Yay: The Magistrates of Drache are entrusted to carry out their sworn duties unmolested by further restraints upon the purview which their office currently provides them. If they are found to abuse the authority invested in them they shall be judged and punished accordingly.

2a.) Motion Stalls, 2 Nay - 2 Yay - 1 Abstain: Aldenaxk the Korthai's request for a Letter of Marque is rejected. If this individuals achievements garner such merit in the future his request will be reassessed. Councilman Branth's optimism and high hopes for the coast guard are endearing, however, the organization is in its infantile stages. If Drache were in a position of superiority concerning matters of open waters it would not have been necessary to contract out the Korthai during the civil war. Simply put, Drache's current naval strength simply is not up to the task of dealing with wholesale piracy on any real, efficient and effective level at the moment. I do not offer these words as mockery nor insult, but as an unbiased and realistic view of our cities current capabilities. We should do our best to support and elevate this branch so that one day privateers are unnecessary, but as it stands there are areas in which the coast guard cannot function that these outside contractors avail us the option of.

3a.) Motion Passes Unanimously, 5 Yay: Henceforth Drache shall create and attach its official seal of approval upon its home city Grubball team, whose name shall be decided upon by involved parties and shareholders.

4a.) Majority Vote Favours Option 3.) Offer Tivaurd revenue garnered from Grubball games at fixed rate, offset by private shares in the Grubball teams ownership. Revenue from the arena shall be allotted to Tivaurd at a fixed rate, he shall also receive a majority share of the Grubball team's ownership and all profits, revenue and stewardship it entails. Sithire Auxerre and the City of Drache are named majority shareholders. These individuals (or entities) are free to allocate their shares in a public or private forum at their whim and accept investors accordingly.

-Floxod Uzzo