For City Council Vote 23.VII.489

Drache's City Hall, home to the mayor's office and the city council.
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Characters: Ulfric Brynjolf
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

For City Council Vote 23.VII.489

Post by Oblivioncalls »

Due to recent events and a thorough examination of the laws as they stand, I am putting forth this proposal to my fellow councilmembers.

Vampires are considered to be kill-on-sight, and yet I encountered one that claimed to be, and is indeed a citizen, though the legality of such is in question. My proposal is to both negate this claim of citizenship and further ban other vampires from obtaining this. Never in my life have I known a good or benign vampire. They feed on life, and are inherently evil. This further becomes a complication with regards to guards and slayers. If they are to wait for proof of citizenship and stay their hand, other lives could in turn be injured or lost if the claim turns out to be a ruse. My proposal currently has the support of Spells-Commander LayTrayin Chasingfire, and in turn protects the rights of guards, slayers, and other citizens who take it upon themselves to kill a vampire.

The three-part proposal as it is currently:

I. Negate current claims of citizenship for any and all vampires within Drache, despite any 'good' they may have done.

II. Prevent vampires from obtaining citizenship.

III. Petition the Sithire to henceforth make citizenship unobtainable by vampires.
Suzthulhu
Baron
Preferred Title: Great Old One
Characters: All of them.

Re: For City Council Vote 23.VII.489

Post by Suzthulhu »

Natalia pens:

I find it deeply disturbing that a vampire was granted citizenship, if this is the case. That they performed deeds that benefit the city is beside the point; all vampires suck the life from their victims, and they cannot be allowed to do so legally. I support Vorfon Silverbow's proposals in whole. We simply cannot run the risk of granting such fiends the legal rights to their prey, not to mention that vampires are very prolific, and we could find ourselves overrun in a heartbeat.

Natalia Derseblan
Elitist Dicks Only
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

Post by Oblivioncalls »

Just so there is no confusion for other council members (Natalia aside, as she has given her support in this matter), I will include the text from the Laws of Transdariania, Edict 171, Section 3:
3. Those that have taken it upon themselves to destroy demons and/or the undead shall not be unnecessarily hampered in their tasks by fear of prosecution. These individuals, commonly referred to as Slayers, may not be prosecuted for homicide for destroying a demonic or undead being. They may not be prosecuted for assault for attacking a demonic or undead being. They may not be prosecuted for burglary for breaking into the lair of a demonic or undead being for the purpose of destroying it. The only exception to this is outlined in part 2C of this edict. They are in all other ways subject to the laws of the Duchy.
And Section 2C with the important part highlighted for your benefit:
C. Those rare undead beings that have not only demonstrated a benign demeanor, but have a record of public service to the Duchy or officers thereof may be granted full citizenship by special order of the Sithire in reward for their services, such as service in the the Civic Guard, Provincial Guard or Navy of Transdariania.
The highlighted portion is the crux of the issue. If this was not by special order of the Sithire, then the legality of the vampire's citizenship (and others) is in question.

I am updating my proposal with some additional clarification:
I. Negate current claims of citizenship for any and all vampires within Drache, despite any service they may have provided or how 'benign' they seem to be.

II. Prevent vampires from obtaining citizenship, regardless of what service they may provide or how 'benign' they seem to be.

III. Petition the Sithire to henceforth make citizenship unobtainable by vampires throughout Transdariania.
Even a 'good' vampire is one bad day from becoming a monster, and that's a lot of blood on your hands if you allow this issue to persist.

By my hand,
Arms-Sergeant, Councilman, Lane Silverbow
TheOtherOne
Esquire
Preferred Title: TheOtherOne
Characters: Daien and others!

Post by TheOtherOne »

To me, the law is clear, that only the Sithire can make a vampire a citizen. We cannot overturn any decision of the Sithire.

Any undead who acquires citizenship in any other manner does so on false pretenses and can be stripped from it. I am not going to oppose any motion, but I do find it a bit moot.
dragonwielder
Knight
Preferred Title: dragonwielder
Characters: Aldenaxk, Nicholas, Arreon, Aliana, Neakas, Jerichoni, jeffrey, Arkchar, Jorvek,

Post by dragonwielder »

Last I checked, vampires have the option to suck the blood from animals, so vampires have a choice in not killing people.

This vampire has done good deeds, if they've gotten citizenship. Drache has always been a place where someone can make something of themselves through their actions, not their race or gender.
People rarely become vampires by choice, and to take away the chance they have at being good for those around them despite their affliction, seems cruel.
That's not to say I support all vampires. But if one does something worthy, let them have what it's worth.

I say nay on all accounts.

However, when an undead has reached the worth of being awarded citizenship, I believe it should be publicly announced. This way, people know what undead do and don't have citizenship. Maybe give them special paperwork to show off?
"Arthur, have some faith. Stop doubtin me! I have a plan. we just need more time....and money. We'll grab a boat and go to TAHITI"
Oblivioncalls
Civic Guard
Lane Silverbow
Merik Blackwater
Luciana Arana
Alejandra Castilleja
Kurina Ironcleaver
Kieran Creed
Haunt

Post by Oblivioncalls »

Due to a recent meeting, I gladly, fully withdraw my proposal. Further details will be made available once they are made available to me.

By my hand,
Arms-Sergeant, Councilman, Lane Silverbow