Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Outside the city of Drache lies a number of cities, towns and provinces of varying size and populace. Most of the people living outside Drache are natives who speak Arangothian and observe the native customs and rituals. Click here for a list Arangoth's locales, and here to view a map.
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Forward base in Mhernettla 6.VI.488

Post by laytrayin »

[11:00] <@Ravynetti`Tivaurd> A small group of Paladins of the Dawn had accompanied those establishing the foreward operating base. Just six of them, plus the Lady Catherine. Although Catherine had retreated back to Camp Aurora to tend to business, the remaining six had stayed to begin to set up barriers. That far into Mhernettla, it seems the radius and effectiveness of divine blessings was reduced by half, but it
[11:00] <@Ravynetti`Tivaurd> was still viable to secure a base there. Of the six paladins that were assigned to tend to the foreward base were Sir and Dame LaSalle, twins from Sorrowmire; the venerable Sir Zoren, an elderly but still hale fellow (who had done much of the setting up of a new wicker-man style barrier); Dame Maria and Dame Sophia, two volunteers whose primary recommendations were their hands on experience
[11:00] <@Ravynetti`Tivaurd> facing The Dark in other, smaller infestations; And finally Dame Midregar (also known as Midgie), a young paladin initiate whose main point of recommendation was her ancestral iron golem. The golem itself would've been put to whatever use had been requested.
[11:09] <Swine`Flu> A cluster of 4 buildings had been turned into a fortified compound. The spaces between them were walled off, with chevaux de frisse pointing outward. The entrance was placed on the safer western side and a makeshift gatehouse was assembled over it. The projecting upper floors were filled with archers and mages on regular rotation. Several small wooden watchtowers were built atop the compound
[11:09] <Swine`Flu> to shore up its lowest and weakest corners. Mantlets now guarded a corridor to the breach and workers, backed by beasts of war and magic, were now raising an earthen platform from the ash, to put the siege engines and give them a dependable arc towards the armory. The highest point of the compound flew the flags of Arangoth and Elgaria.
[11:14] <@Ravynetti`Tivaurd> Even when tunnels and other cracks in cellars are walled off and sealed, shadows in underground spaces still seem to have a creepy, unnatural effect to them, moving and reaching and generally dimming light, so it's probably best to keep stays in such places to a minimum.
[11:17] <Swine`Flu> Ware's men were all assigned a battle buddy that had to be watched for unnatural shadows at all times. The men were instructed to also watch everyone who did rotations through the compound, which was pretty much all of Ware's men and whichever adventurers volunteered to supplement. Besides the paladins, he convinced as many clerics as possible to stay near the front and maintain vigilance.
[11:20] <Swine`Flu> Karn was on hand. Occasionally, transparent but visible panes of force would spring up around the compound, atop its walls, or along the ground, whenever a threat was perceived to be coming from that directions. Karn had to bring them a little out of phase so that allies would be able to spot them, as would the enemy.
[12:00] <Nicholas> Those there would be pleasantly surprised when the korthai crew comes back from town rolling two cannons into camp, grunting and groaning as they go along, Alden with them to help. "Figured we'd need all we can get against the armory!" He calls when they arrive.
[12:04] <Swine`Flu> Ware said he would put the cannons on top of the compound wall, facing out into the city, intended largely as an anti-infantry weapon.
[12:20] <Gudrun> Hurnuth is at the forward base consecrating this and that. In particular, he spends much of his time today working on some of the stones that may be used as projectiles with the trebuchets. With a hammer and chisel, three are marked with holy sigils to bestow upon them blessings against evil and undead entities. Then, with his spiked aspergillum, he douses them with holy water and chants prayers to Menxvan. The sigils and holy water
[12:20] <Gudrun> work together to make a more durable consecration.
[12:42] * Uzzo had been ensuring that the men under his banner had properly assisted in their efforts to get the foreward base up and operation, though by this point a good portion of them were being sent back out through the breach to the main encampment, as there was little point in overcrowding the position. The four three-man teams of ballistae had remained,a long with the necessary numbers to operate --
[12:42] <Uzzo> -- the man-powered trebuchets that had been constructed, previously having gone unused due to the change in the initial siege operations. Aside from that, only a small handful of personal retainers remained with the Floxod in the forward compound. (End)
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
TheOneWhoKnows
Operator
Characters: Uzzo, Welkith`Quarek, Weiss(?), Tiny`Spider

Re: Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Post by TheOneWhoKnows »

Floxod Uzzo has undertaken an assault against the two remaining Watchers, one of which was destroyed in the battle. (The Floxod offers his apologies for any loud noises in the meantime.)

Multiple fires started with the southwestern sector of the city due to the aforementioned abominations breath weapon of choice, super heated plumes and nigh molten rock. Fire and collateral damage was minimalized and the fires were put out before they could spread further beyond into the city. The single remaining Watcher has retreated into the veil around The Keep.

The Temple was damaged during the battle, and upon inspection, housed some manner of holy altar that was empowering it. The Temple itself contained a multitude of bones and skeletal remains, and with the failing of the holy altars ability to keep the Dark at bay, the Floxod decided the destruction of its contents was necessary to keep the Dark from reinvigorating and producing a large number of troops to reinforce its dwindling supply.

The Floxod also decided to clear the southern walls of Mhernettla of any remaining troops (sans the southern gatehouse and Sir Gregory within due to the effects of the veil surrounding it). The Floxod notes that only skeletal troops were found amongst those stationed upon the southern walls, and the ranks of Undead Knights that have been previously observed were no longer stationed upon them. There is the potential that they were destroyed along with the Champion of Rot in a similar manner of the Draugr, however, this cannot be confirmed so advisement is issued to keep these potential numbers in mind during future operations. These numbers of Undead Knights may have retreated to other defensive positions left within the city, such as The Black Armoury or The Keep.

The Floxod also observed that The Black Armoury has repaired itself further in the meantime, and now has an upper floor of some metallic manner. It remains stationed in the general area of the northwest as noted previously.
Pigasus
Baronet
Preferred Title: Setting Whisperer

Re: Mhernettla Briefing 25.IV.488

Post by Pigasus »

7.VI.488

With the grace of God, a three-pronged assault today destroyed the Black Armory and the remaining Watcher. This victory removes the threat of undead reinforcements and lays bare the way into Mhernettla's Keep, for the final confrontations.

I, Ware Severn, ordered a trebuchet bombardment of the motile building, yet the blessed stones were reflected back at us via the armory's warp field. While Argent Savant Seleir successfully defended the forward base, some nearby buildings were knocked down. The armory crawled towards us for an assault.

The mage Evening collapsed the armory's metal roof from above, transmuting it into Aqua Regia, which doused the siege equipment and the skeletal warriors below. She was joined shortly by dragonrider Macmillan and destroyed all the enemy ballistae before they could fire on our position. They also killed the remaining Watcher, already wounded from its fight with Floxod Uzzo.

At the same time, I led a division of pikemen and archers around to flank the building from the other side, having reached the correct conclusion that its warp field can only defend against a single direction. With the expert teamwork of our own archers and pikemen, we cleaved through their vanguard with ease, as psychic warrior Ivask crippled one of the armory's legs.

The armory unfolded, vomiting forth over a hundred skeletal warriors, led by their undead commander. I engaged the commander in battle while Evening, psychic warrior Ivask, Seleir, Macmillan, and arriving Korthai reinforcements led by Captain Aldenaxk held the undead horde in place. With the time they bought me, I was able to stike through the commander with my blessed blade, destroying him. The commander was soulbound to the armory and all his troops-- they all fell to dust with his demise.

The Provincial Guard lost three veteran warriors, <names go here>. The Watchful Eye lost two young knights, <names go here.> The Korthai lost eight men, <names go here>. They will be remembered as heroes. Unfortunately, recovery of bodies is not possible due to the gruesome nature of their brave sacrifice.

Everyone's performance exceeded high expectations and unit cohesion improved greatly, leading to highly effective combined-arms tactics.

Besides the commander's sword and armor, a chest of 30,000 crowns' worth of Arlokek gold, a banner infested with darkness, and scores of serviceable mail-shirts and breastplates were recovered. The sum will be used to pay the troops, while the remainder will be split among commanders and champions.

May the All-Good preserve us.

By my hand,
Ware ul-Broxobain Severn, Viscount of Ravendusk, Lord Protector of the Transdarian, Commander of the Second Mhernettla Expedition
laytrayin
Baron
Characters: LayTrayin Chasingfire
Aridia Vloress
Naomi
Sylestra

Mairead info 10.VI.488

Post by laytrayin »

<Ravynetti`Tivaurd> also, when mairead examined the area west of town, she'll have found that the forests in a certain area have been ruined by the missed cannon fire uzzo called in, the remnants of various farms and outlying buildings that were once part of the town but were rapidly grown over, and the entrance of a small sally port that might lead up into the keep through a tunnel.
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.