November 2003 - Mail Archives

Coordination and information for the various volunteers of BDI.
Jayne
Viscount
Preferred Title: Nymphadora
Characters: [Main Characters]
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Re: November 2003 - Mail Archives

Post by Jayne »

Unto Magistrate Segovax ul-Ambixus Eppilius
Author: J.D. Strausse
Date: 14 November 2003

UNTO MAGISTRATE SEGOVAX UL-AMBIXUS EPPILIUS:

Greetings,

As I am sure you have already heard, Magistrate Seward has made very complicated what might have been very simple. I am inclined to see her actions as a setback rather than a complete foil to our mutual goals and hope you will do the same. That I am writing to offer my counsel is because, in light of current circumstances where time is of the essence, a meeting with me may not be able to happen before a meeting with your fellow magistrates and I would rather you know my thinking before you sit down to negotiate with them.

First, I believe it imperative that we distance ourselves from Magistrate Seward. She has eroded most of, if not all, of the legitimacy behind the Chancellery's claim against the Council and compromised the neutrality of the Royal Guard. Fortunately, Seward is but a single magistrate; she had no authority to speak for you or your fellows. That being the case, her actions can be disavowed and she can be given over to Captain Von Stahl; this would, I think, go a little ways in placating him and putting the Royal Guard on a more neutral footing.

Second, I think Tarn Harscon, who I now understand is our man in the Wharf District, is of paramount value to our endeavour. He and the faction of the Royal Guard loyal to him are holding the Wharf District. This is a task that cannot be done by mercenaries. Mercenaries do not own the affection of the Wharf District's population and cannot give the appearance of legitimacy that goes along with a Royal Guard uniform. So we badly need to keep Harscon and his faction; however, we also need to placate Captain Von Stahl. Therefore, I suggest you disavow Harscon to Von Stahl, bounty him for treason, and keep him as your man--assuming he is not Magistrate Seward's man. Harscon can continue to command the Wharf District forces in secret. If the good Commander can agree to that, I would be happy to arrange the ex-filtration of he and his men from Drache and resettlement in the country of their choice.

Third, a formal notice refusing to comply with the Council's order should be issued either by you or another Chancellery magistrate. The notice should state that the Council's order was unanimously refused by the Chancellery magistrates (true) on the grounds that it was illegal and, as a consequence of the order, the Council has been disbanded. Granted this is not the best explanation, but it is the most legitimate way of explaining the facts on the ground. The merchants of my faction can rally behind it and the guard on the ground in the Wharf District can declare for the magistrates supporting it. Knowing the merchants in my faction, I am certain they will not declare against the Council for less. Vorfon, you're at liberty to dismiss my other advice, but not this. Unless the Council's flimsy stance on undead rights--the only seemingly divisive and legitimate issue on the table--is laid at the bottom of this crisis, I cannot deliver the support of Drache's merchants.

After the merchants have declared against the Council, you will have at your disposal considerable men and materiel from both the Crimson Shield and Ebon Hammer mercenary companies, control of the harbour by way of my ships, considerable financial backing, and--more importantly--the threat of Alesian intervention on the Arangothian continent. Taken together, you should have ample leverage with which to negotiate into the existence the new government Southern Arangoth so badly deserves.

Best of luck,

Resque Maessen
<*chop>

*chops: a square stamp in red ink containing a series of arcane Xiunlan and Nipangui characters.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Fear In Envy
Author: Aeren Price

Shallara hadn’t slept for the entire day, and the entire night she had stayed on her bed, deep within her boarded up home. Her skin was still beaded with tiny sweat drops, and her eyes remained fixed on one point of the extravagant bedroom wall. It was as if she was in a trance, but truthfully, she was petrified to even breathe. Late the last night, she had been intruded upon, mentally raped, by the voice of Morrow in her mind. The Dark Angel’s tone had been so ominous, so dark and dangerous, that it literally had shaken Shallara to the point of panic.

Thus, she hadn’t moved from her bed in nearly 24 hours. She hadn’t broken her trance of panic, merely lying there, going over the words within her mind. She had never really crossed Morrow before, but she had always known, from Aeren’s words, that crossing the Dark Angel led to horrible torture and pain. Not only that, but Morrow had secured Aeren’s heart… a feat which seemed impossible, at least to her.

Shallara shivered suddenly, still afraid to even think about Aeren’s heart, or how she cared for him… in more ways than she thought anyone knew. But, obviously, Morrow had known, and Morrow was really the only person she’d hoped would never know. She closed her eyes and forced the thoughts of Aeren from her. The paranoia, the wondering if Morrow could feel her thoughts, swept over her, and her fingers closed tightly around the covers as she opened her eyes once more to stare at that same spot on the wall.

So many years ago, before her Sire had died, he had given her two daggers engraved with his crest… the crescent moon. They were still hanging in the main room, one crossing over the other in a large X. She had never forgotten the night he’d given those to her, telling her that a battle was coming and that she would use them whether she liked it or not. Slowly, her thoughts turned to the visage of Morrow, and her imagination flowed into her thoughts. She would take those daggers and stab them both deep into Morrow’s heart… she would stab her and pin her to the ground for the coming sun…

Shallara shuddered. Again, her eyes closed in fear, for she knew that what her imagination told her was quite impossible. She knew that Morrow was some kind of horrible angel, blessed and cursed with power from some Heaven. Shallara, in her dark thoughts, would not dare to wonder what went on in the woman’s mind. Certainly, the Dark Angel’s thoughts were a thousand times more rage-filled and sick than any of hers or her Kindred brothers… Indeed, even Aeren always seemed cautious with Morrow.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the front door. Shallara didn’t know why… perhaps it was the sound of the knock, authoritative, heavy… but she immediately rose from her prone position on the bed and moved through the house to the front door. The knock sounded again just as she’d reached the door, and she pulled it open, anxious to she who owned the hand that knock.

And there he was, looking exactly as he had so many years ago. Aeren stood there, his black shirt hugging his torso tightly and his black pants barely visible beneath the folds of the dark cloak. She looked up at him and blinked when he smiled warmly.

“Shallara… my Childe,” he said in his familiar, cool tone. He opened his arms and stepped in, embracing her tightly as a brother would for a sister. She blinked again in surprise, unsure of what to do; but finally, she encircled her arms around him, momentarily forgetting Morrow’s hellish warning. There, they stayed, for what seemed like hours. She felt the tears well up in her eyes, and she closed them off, speaking softly as she buried her head in his chest.

“You destroyed me that day…” she said meekly, mustering up all the feelings of resentment that she could, despite the fact that she was so happy now. To her surprise, she felt a cold drop on her cheek… a tear fallen from his eye. Shallara looked up at him, confirming to herself that he really was crying silently.

“I know, Shallara, I know. Can you ever forgive me?” Aeren asked pitifully. They stood there, in each other’s arms, staring into each other’s eyes. Shallara trembled slightly, sweeping her chocolate brown gaze all over his face. She would always be lost in those pale green eyes. Slowly, she leaned toward him, closing her eyes…

They kissed… more deeply, more passionately, more lovingly than Morrow would ever know, she thought. They kissed like two lovers who had been kept from each other for en eternity. In that moment, her blood ran warm, her world was alright… everything was alright.

Shallara’s eyes snapped open with a start. She was there, lying on her stomach on her bed… alone in her bedroom, just like she was before. Despair sunk into her as she realised she had fallen asleep… it had all been a dream. The feeling, everything, was a lie! She trembled with rage for a moment, cursing the darkness… the solitude. How Aeren tortured her even in her dreams… how she cursed, yet loved, the simple fact that he was her Sire… how she envied the Dark Angel.

Shallara laid there silently, watching nothing in particular as her mind raced. She turned her dream over and over in her head… that feeling, that beautiful kiss. Slowly, her figure began to change and transform into the figure of Morrow, and Shallara clenched her teeth in anger. What had *she* done to deserve Aeren? What did Aeren see in an angel anyway?!

Fear cut her emotions off at the knees, however, and Shallara pulled the covers up over her. She would stay in bed until she felt confident that she wouldn’t die when she left her house. She would stay, locked in a boarded up room, until Aeren came for her. She would stay locked in her mind until that night… it was all that made her feel safe. Where were the others? Daefyd? Marriska? Larerell? Surely they would all band together to destroy Aeren’s love.

She frowned… if that happened, Aeren would destroy them all…
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Unto the Magistrates and Cpt. von Stahl
Author: Alexander Wood

[The following letter is delivered by courier to all of the magistrates, with one further sealed copy surreptitiously delivered to the Guardhouse, attention of Lucius von Stahl]

Colleagues,

The general silence I have heard from you on the present issue has inclined me to think that my actions have not gone over well in your minds. This disappoints more than displeases me: I had hopes that you would see things as I do, but alas. This letter has some information you all may find relevant.

First: If I am arrested, it is likely that the prisoner will die. I do not think the death of the Councilman will help your position, so I caution you to be careful.

Second: I am not sure if you all are aware of this, but Segovax has been backed in this affair by the merchant Resque Maessen, who I am sure you have all know. Resque is a man who I have known for many years, and I would be loathe to think that you all would welcome his expanding his influence in Drache. I would think this to be particularly distasteful to those in your number who are dedicated to truth and righteousness and all of that high-principled nonsense that so blinds you to my position.

As an example of the character of my two colleagues, I was invited a number of days ago to a meeting in the House of the Silver Swan with Segovax and the tai-pan, whereupon we discussed frankly many various matters, including the murder of Councilman Reizeau and the potential need to murder, abduct, or otherwise sideline Lorla Daranek, Lucius von Stahl, and other officials around whom resistance to a revolt might form.

Third: Councilman Marcion has left the city headed to an audience with King Arlok, potentially to return with an army, laying siege to the city. My objective in taking Reizeau as a prisoner was to gain some leverage in any negotiation with a hostile army. Resque Maessen had suggested to employ a bluff where he would threaten to bring in Alesian troops, but I do not like relying solely on lies in a situation where everything is at stake.

If I am thought of as a villainess for what I have done, it is certainly understandable. However, before becoming a "villainess", I served the state loyally for many years and hav always acted in the best interest of the city. I would urge you all to think about what you believe is best for Drache and to take a look at all of your colleagues before being so quick to condemn my actions.

Your colleague,

Lytia C. Seward
Magistrate of Drache
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

The findings of an investigation
Author: Sinner or Saint
14 November 2003

[22:45] * Lucius` leads the assembled group into conference room in the Guardhouse, one that was a little large for their purposes, since it was normally used for briefings, but the alternative was an interrogation room, and that would be a little inappropriate.

[22:46] <Lorla> yes, considering how jumpy his companions were these days. she settles into a chair easily, and looks to the others.

[22:48] <Takani_and_Makaik> < Inappropriate but amusing. Takani and Makaiki followed swiftly, the latter waiting outside the door while the magistrate herself joins the Commander and Councellor inside. Oddly, she promptly wanders off to whichever was the north wall of the room, and tucks one hand behind her back while the other lifts to pinch the bridge of her nose while she inacts calming techniques. >

[22:48] Zesstra Riknueth> Shortly behind the Captain, Zesstra followed. The satchel remained tucked under her arm until she chose a seat at the large table, after which it was placed on the floor next to her chair. She sat with no pomp, stretching her legs out beneath the table and shifting to unsholder her crossbow. It too, was placed on the floor beside her chair. I swear by the gods, that woman should never have been allowed to request a second time.

[22:48] <Lucius`> "Especially not a single month after her initial application was rejected with the personal approval of the King."

[22:49] <Lorla> "it's within her rights." She says tiredly. "i sometimes wonder why those that were patently evil beforehand and seek to change their course, do not get a religious figgure to sponsor them. It would make many things much more easier."

[22:50] <Takani_and_Makaik> "I did not jest when I threatened to hang her. That woman needs to learn manners before she should even consider becoming a citizen." < The magistrate mutters, sounding exhausted after even that brief encounter. While she was still tall and strong, she was getting old, after all. >

[22:50] Zesstra Riknueth> Religious figure or not, once a murderer, always a murderer. She curbed herself then, clenching her jaw with restraint. If the Captain aquiesses (wtf sp), I will make my findings known here as well.

[22:5] <Lucius`> "What significant changes could have occurred within the space of four weeks that would merit a total reversal of the original decision? But regardless, we aren't here to debate the merits of Tespin Vlorress' application for citizenship. We have much graver matters to discuss."

[22:52] * Takani_and_Makaik is now known as Takani

[22:52] <Lorla> "even if the captain does not concour, please let me your findings of me be known. There are mesures i could take, which i am loath to do since many could question the legality of my councle position despite the fact that i helped to create it. the councle that is."

[22:53] * TierantDarkblight would reach the guardhouse a bit after the rest of the group. He was rather methodical in the execution of the duty rested upon his shoulders. Having a clear-cut duty was quite helpful, especially at this time. He would await outside the room with Makaiki. He was ordered to ensure privacy, and that is what he would do.

[22:53] Zesstra Riknueth> She glanced up at Lorla then, half-smirking. Tespin, my findings have nothing to do with you. In short, "Don't flatter yourself." They concern Magistrate Seward and Councilor Reizeau.

[22:54] <Takani> < Makaiki greets Tierant briefly outside the room, then resumes being exceedingly, almost scarily vigilant. 'Cause she wasn't in a good mood and all. Takani simply sinks into silence, and listens. >

[22:54] <Lorla> "that's not what I mean Lady Guard. I meant about me to your fellow magistrates." She wanted to snap, but held back. "I have no wish to wind up as did my friend Reizeau." She says quietly.

[22:55] Zesstra Riknueth> She looked to Lucius, one slender, white brow lofted. Captain? If I may?

[22:58] <Lucius`> "By all means, Corporal."

[23:0] Zesstra Riknueth> She stood, stooping to retrieve the satchel and open it once more. She tossed the list of names into the middle of the table, for whomever to look at in turn. The night of the arrest on the Councilor, I was summoned to the Inn by the Captain. I do not think I need to go into detail about what happened there, as I am sure most of you know the outcome. I volunteered my services to investigate the matter, and invited myself to dinner with Magistrate Seward, in order to obtain the evidence she claims against Vorfon Reizeau.

[23:02] Zesstra Riknueth> That, She points to the parchment paper, Is the list of names she gave me of merchants int he city who claim to have been accosted by city guards and robbed of their money.

[23:02] * TierantDarkblight would lean against the wall beside the door. He may have seemed casual, relaxed, but he was also in a horrid mood. However, he would prove to be attentive if anyone even concidered nearing the door. He'll be here for a while.

[23:02] * Lorla reaches out to take a look at the papers, quickly though so she could look back up at Zesstra, wanting very much to hear this.

[23:03] <Takani> < Takani takes one last deep breath, then turns sharply and moves purposefully over towards Lorla - Though just to lean over her shoulder and examine the parchment. Granted, being 6'6" and hugely muscled, she was pretty scary at the best of times and all. >

[23:04] * Lorla didn't seem perturned by takani hanging over her shoulder, and holds the paper so that she may see as well.

[23:05] Zesstra Riknueth> I cross checked those names with the records of all licensed merchants in the city. Two names matched up, however, upon further delving, I came to the conclusion that they shared only the names in common, and they were, in fact, not the same people who claim to have been victimized, according to Magistrate Seward. At this, she crossed her arms over her chest, allowing her words to sink in. Just to make certain my point is clear, I will spell it out. The names she gave me have proven, for all intents and purposes, to be false. Even after questioning citizens and merchants here, I have not been able to find a single one of those names to be a real person.

[23:06] <Takani> "You make it sound as though this wasn't expected." < Takani jests dryly. >

[23:06] <Lorla> "I knew that the moment that she brought the accusations against Reizeau. Right now the gods alone know where he is, or even if he's still alive. I pray for the latter, but hold out little hope." She says, lips tight.

[23:07] Zesstra Riknueth> However, she did mention a name I belive you will all be familiar with. Resque Maessen. She stated that all of the so-called victims have connections with him. I have asked Captain Von Stahl to arrange a meeting with him, since the matter might be taken more seriously coming from the Captain himself. Her expression softened somewhat at Lorla's words. I believe him to be alive and as safe as can be hoped. For the time, anyhow, however, no one can get in to see him.

[23:09] * Lorla closes her eyes and gives a small sigh. "Thank you at least for that. I have briefly met with vorfon Maessen. of course this was before all .. this came to a head."

[23:09] <Takani> "You're being hopeful, in that case." < The magistrate sounded doubtful as she glances up from the list and takes a step back, folding her hands behind her back again. > "You're assuming that Seward will act as a rational human being."

[23:09] <Lucius`> "I believe that he is still alive, Councilor, though I do not know for how much longer. Right now, he is a useful hostage in this desperate criminal bid, one that she can use as a bargaining chip if her scheme begins to fall apart. She wouldn't have killed him before checking to see which way the wind was blowing. But he is behind the Iron Gate right now, and we are outside of it. It is not an impregnable barrier, but one that is formidible enough."

[23:0] Zesstra Riknueth> She cleared her throat softly. I believe that... possibly, I may be able to assist there as well. As if to puncuate, a soft snort can be heard from outside.

[23:] <Lorla> "I can trust you captain, and I hope that i can trust the rest of you." She looks to zesstra and takani. "A fellow councle member, hopefulyl at this moment, speaks with the king himself. I have sent off one of your guards captain, his name is art(Ican'trememberhislastname) to go in search of him to warn him not to return without protection. if his petition goes well, and if he is made aware of the escalating danger here, he may arrive back in Drache at the head of a contingiant of the kings troops, to restore order."

[23:4] <Takani> "Forgive me, if I do not know all of the background of this, being a relative newcomer to the city. But from what I have seen, there is little that is logical in this entire situation." < She goes quiet for a moment, her voice dropping to an almost inaudible level. > "Again, I could be wrong, but from the one time I have met with Magistrate Seward for a converstion... I believe there is more than a play for power here. As a judge of people, I believe the woman may well be mad."

[23:7] Zesstra Riknueth> Her part in the overall briefing finished, she allows her posture to relax, if only slightly, and sits once more. I suppose it is possible. I still stand by my recommendation that Magistrate Seward be, at the very least, placed under surveillance. I do not put it past her to do whatever she feels is necessary to get her way in this, to include having people dragged off the streets to testify. I should note, that she was unable to give me even vague descriptions of these guards who supposedly have robbed the merchants listed.

[23:9] <Lucius`> "That may be, but that doesn't necessarily means that she operates without an overriding method or logic. If she is mad, she is not suicidal, and will do everything possible to save her skin, such as bribe or coerce people in the streets to claim to be the fictitious merchants on the list to provide testimony."

[23:9] <Lucius`> "Or use Reizeau's life as a bargaining chip."

[23:2] <Lorla> "is there nothing you can do to retrieve him captain? I know right now that we are all acting as if magistrate seward is acting within the sketchy bounds of law, and that is only so that open warefar does not happen. But my hands are tied without fellow counclemembers to help enforce councle decisions. I could declair masrtial law, but that would definately drag the guard into this and force them to make a decision."

[23:2] <Lucius`> "I believe that she should be arrested and imprisoned as quickly as possible to prevent her from furthering her schemes. And, Your Honor, I ask for the Chancellery's cooperation in arranging an opportunity to apprehend her with a minimum of difficulty. I will wait for the Chancellery's official response, if you need time to relay this to your fellow magistrates and debate."

[23:22] <Lucius`> "Councilor, I am proceeding as if she and the former Commander Harscorn were engaging in openly treasonous behavior and had made themselves enemies of the state. I have not posted a public edict against them to that effect because I hope that some element of surprise may be gained by allowing to think that I will not act."

[23:22] <Lucius`> "I do not believe that she is acting within the boundaries of the law, or even making more than the shallowest pretense of doing so."

[23:23] <Lucius`> "Councilor, if you can tell me how to get him out of the Wharf Garrison alive without the loss of dozens of lives, I am all for suggestions. I do not see any easy way of freeing him that doesn't involve executing Harscorn and reclaiming control of the Wharf Patrol."

[23:24] <Takani> < The woman's dark eyes flicked over to Lucius, and she frowns deeply in thought for a moment before she shakes her head slightly. > "Captain, truth be told, not all of my fellows are likely to support you and I in this. My fellow former cleric will likely do what must be done to maintain the peace. The honourable Ketara... Is or was friends with Aridia. I do not know. Segovax is as much to be feared as Lytia, if he gets his balls in a knot." < She coughs delicately. > "Forgive my crudities."

[23:25] <Lorla> "ketara will help as lonmg as justice prevales." She nods towards lucian. "I understand that captain. Please forgive me, that was the friend speaking and not the councelor. What are your thoughts on martial law? It would require the guards to enforce it. of course this would be -after- mistress seward has been captured."

[23:26] Zesstra Riknueth> There is still the Aridia Vloress matter, as as much as we are loathe to discuss it, it is, in all actuality, the center of this maelstrom, am I correct? What could possibly be gained from her becoming a citizen? I can honestly say I haven't th slightest clue why one woman is being allowed to cause such turmoil! Her voice raises then, sounding harsher than was normal, even for her. Why not have her arrested?

[23:28] <Takani> "I believe I've made my inclination on the matter of Aridia quite clear. However, she has friends amongst both your ranks and mine, Arms-Corporal. I believe hanging her might not be the best solution. Truth be told, there is little fault of hers in this, other than the crime of stupidity. She was just the... icing on the cake, so to speak. A scapegoat."

[23:28] <Lucius`> "I can forgive your crudities, Your Honor, but I am more interested to know what sort of response you believe I can expect from the Chancellery. I don't find it heartening that you don't think I will receive the support of your fellow magistrates in this. Regardless of your differences with the Council, I believe that Seward and Harscorn present an overriding danger to Drache that must be dealt with first, before the situation can be adequately resolved."

[23:29] <Lorla> "one woman is not. Magistrate seward merely used this .. disagreement, and I know that word is wholely inadequate to describe this situation, as a means to further her goals, and the goals of a few others. Aridia was a means. She is not the cause. it could have been any other wishing citizenship that would divide the chancelery and the councle so."

[23:3] Zesstra Riknueth> I am well aware of her associations amongst the ranks of my fellow guardsmen. Cold, grey eyes flicker towards the closed door, outside of which Tierant presumably stands. Perhaps then, Your Honors, the means should be removed. I am not suggesting we execute her, though the idea crosses my mind everytime I hear that abomination open her blood drenched maw. Perhaps if she were to withdraw her request and get the hell out of this city, one piece of this wholly ridiculous equation could be removed.

[23:32] <Takani> "Yes. But we need a strong leader. I believe, if nothing else, we need the Lord-Chancellor back. I do not trust Segovax any further than I could throw the king's castle. At the moment, we are divided." < She glances at Lorla and frowns slightly. > "No. She provided the perfect opportunity for this, even if she is just a scapegoat. She offered the ability to play on the anti-undead sentiments of the city for both Seward and the former guardsman."

[23:32] <Takani> < A pause, then she nods. > "I do, however, agree that exiling the woman might be a good idea. If only to remove what little blame the revolutionaries have to throw."

[23:33] <Lorla> "I think, right now, aridias involvement, or a decison on what to do with her is secondary to removing magistrate seward from a position of power. But, think on this. eeven if seward is removed, that may very well turn the warf guard into fanatics. and i have heard disturbing rumors that as an alesian, the warf commander may bring in allies from the outside, in which case storming the iron gate may be needed."

[23:34] Zesstra Riknueth> There is also the possibility, and the concern for Vorfon Reizeau's life, should anything untoward happen to Magistrate Seward.

[23:35] <Lucius`> "Councilor, while you may not agree with the Chancellery's position on Tespin Vlorress, I think you can see the wisdom in giving her some friendly advice to leave the city and take a holiday until this situation is resolved."

[23:36] Zesstra Riknueth> She has a daughter here, as well.

[23:37] <Lucius`> "Bringing in the Alesians would be the end of Drache. There are three legions in Elluria, and they could be here in less than two weeks. And everyone here is aware of what happened when the Ellurians begged for their help. If the Alesians are invited in, Transdariania will become the newest Alesian protectorate in this part of the world."

[23:37] <Lorla> "yes, i can captain, if for no other reason than her own, and those who are friends,safety. I will speak with her. perhaps couch it in some errand. But zesstra is correct. if we go after seward, then another group must go after the warf commander in order to assure Reizeau's safety."

[23:38] <Takani> "Yes. It is, from what I hear, through Aridia that Harscon has managed to manipulate his followers into doing what he says." < The woman moves away from the table, and starts to pace the length of the room slowly. > "Anti-undead and anti-demon sentiments ran high in this city, even when I first arrived. After the mist, and the Blight, people are edgy and frightened. They follow, no doubt, because they see a way to make their homes safe, as much as for any love of their would-be leaders."

[23:38] <Lorla> "a citizen will aspire to high mindedness only when his home and family are safe." she says wryly.

[23:40] Zesstra Riknueth> This is blatant warfare among the guard itself. It is asking city guards to pit themselves against the wharf guards. I shudder to think that we may soon find where true loyalties lie.

[23:40] <Takani> "My daughter is dead." < She states bluntly, turning slightly to eye Lorla. > "As a parent, I would do whatever I could to protect my family. In all this matter, it is the people that will suffer. The helpless peasants who will die in riots, as much as our men and women. When the guard wars, the people suffer. When the chancellery and council war, the people suffer. There must be a way to coax everyone to the negotiating table."

[23:4] <Lorla> "I sadly knew it would come to this when Reizeau was taken." She says quietly. "which is why i was determined to find out where captain von stahl stood."

[23:42] <Lucius`> "Your Honor, disunity will be the downfall of Drache. If the Magistrates of the Chancellery are not of one mind, it is time that you become so." How do they expect to win a conflict with the Council if they can't even agree among themselves to anything? Perhaps their disunity is why Seward felt she had the opportunity to make a grab for power. "I do not want a forceful resolution to the conflict. As I said to my own guards in the letter I wrote after Reizeau's arrest, the people are the ones who will suffer as a result of this political turmoil."

[23:42] * Lorla shakes her head. "magistrate Takani, i would like nothing better than to solve this without bloodshed. But unless seward and the warf guard are either arrested or forced to flee, then the very real threat of drache becoming an alesian protectorate lurks. and that i will not abide."

[23:42] <Lucius`> "And that, Magistrate, is why I am asking for the help of your colleagues to deliver Seward over bloodlessly. Surely we can devise some stratagem if we cooperate."

[23:43] Zesstra Riknueth> She lifts her chin, staring stonily at Lorla. Tespin Vloress is your personal guard, as she claims?

[23:45] <Lorla> "she .. has taken it upon herself to guard me since I was nearly killed while trying to rescue Reizeau from his captors. I have given her no leave, nor have i said no either. i have hired my own bodyguard, a fae by the name of turner."

[23:46] Zesstra Riknueth> Tell her to leave. Pack her things, and her family if she wishes, and to leave the city quietly, at least for a time. If she so wishes to prove herself to this city, then she will do so without question. The arrogance of her request, nay, near command, was by far overstepping her bounds as a mere Corporal to the guard. However, at this moment, she neither cared nor would back down from her point of view. If she is loyal to you, as she claims, she will abide by your request of her.

[23:47] <Takani> "We cannot deliever her over if we do not have her." < Takani answers quietly, shaking her head slightly. > "Truth be told, so you all know where I stand on this matter, I would happily hang Vlorress, Seward, Harscon, and every one else involved in this issue, myself included if the need be, to spare innocents suffering. I will do what must be done, for them. But the magistrates are not a single force - Not without the Lord-Chancellor to lead us. I wish I could say otherwise, but none of us are experienced in the role, aside from Lytia. And... well... I doubt I need to elaborate."

[23:47] * Lorla 's lips teitched at the guards commanding words. "I will
speak to her." She nods. "and former Chaneler Bourne is not someone I wish to bring into this at all at this late date. Rumors of him prove him intractable, and i famcy him sitting back and chortling at the chaos his leavetaking has caused."

[23:49] <Lucius`> "I don't think there's much of a choice at this moment, Your Honor. If you can't overcome your differences and work together to remove such a clear danger to Drache, how do you expect to be able to accomplish anything else?"

[23:50] Zesstra Riknueth> She nods at Takani's words, in full agreement. I do believe though, that at least some lives may be spared if we attempt to remove, piece by piece, the angles from which this argument is being founded. She does not voice that had she a just reason, any reason, she'd have gutted Aridia's entire family by now.

[23:5] <Lucius`> "I will speak to Resque Maessen at the first opportunity. Perhaps he can aid us in this matter, if Lytia cited his name in her accusations."

[23:52] Zesstra Riknueth> "It almost seemed she made it a large point to do so, Captain."

[23:52] <Takani> "First, this stalemate must end, I'm sure you will agree. If the remaining loyal magistrates and councellors can reunite, at least we can present a solid face to the issue." < She glances pointedly at Lorla, and lofts a dark brow. >

[23:53] * Quetzocal ([email protected]) has joined
#guardhouse

[23:53] <Lorla> "I am by all means loyal, and will do all in my power to work with those magistrates that wish to see justice done. I have come very late into this sadly. if I had had more information perhaps Reizeau might now be sitting with us."

[23:54] <Lucius`> "Well, it is not hard to guess why. Resque Maessen has been organizing a coalition of like-minded merchants opposed to Tespin Vlorress' citizenship, so she may have assumed she'd have his support. I doubt that he, or the other respectable merchants who have joined him in his petition, will support such criminal activity."

[23:55] * Quetzocal approaches the Guardhouse, He pulls his cloack tighter about him, it was still too cold for the reptillian's liking, allthough not actually harmful. He headed toward the door, intent on speaking with the Captain.*

[23:55] <Lorla> "they wont. i what i know of vorfon Maessen's attitudes, he has respect for the councel and the magistrates. and while some of more shady dealings are done thankfully out of Drache, he seems a law abising man when tested."

[23:57] <Takani> "If I attempt to unite my fellows, will you do likewise with yours? Once we have this matter sorted over the negotiating table, at least then we will have the resources to counter this threat. Yes?" < She suggests. Makaiki and Tierant are standing guard outside the conference room, for Quetz's information. The former is looking decidedly annoyed. >

[23:58] Zesstra Riknueth> Her voice was a soft whisper now, and she leaned closer to the Captain to speak. "I think it would be prudent to have the guards meet as well. They have every right to know what is going on, especially considering they may be asked to kill their own, should it come to that."

[23:58] <Quetzocal> *The Lizardman steps inside and makes his way to the conference room, spotting the light. He pauses in front of the two guards.* Is Captain Von Stahl in there? I request permission to enter and speak with him. *The torchlight casts sinister shadows off the metal plate bolted over his left eyesocket.*

[23:58] <Lucius`> "Until Vorfon Aldenbar returns from the North, and until Councilor Reizeau is freed from his unlawful imprisonment, Tespin Daranek has no colleagues to unite."

[23:59] <Lorla> "The only other councelor besides myself is Marcion. And he his north at this moment. Reizeau would ahve been a prized ally, which is why seward had him taken. But while many of my political allys are no longer to be called on, i can say that marcion would likely work for as little bloodshed and as much negotiation as weould be needed to settle Drache peacefully."

[23:59] * TierantDarkblight would stand up abruptly as Quetzocal entered the building. "He is quite busy, not to be disturbed."

[00:00] <Lucius`> "And I agree with you, Corporal. I think calling together the Guard for a meeting is a wise idea."

[00:0] * Quetzocal nods, narrowing his eye for a moment, but then relaxing, getting angry at a fellow armsman for no reason is completely out of the question.* Very Well. I shall remain outside until his meeting is complete.

[00:0] <Takani> "Then I will expect you to speak on behalf of the council. I cannot say the same of my fellows. We will have to arrange with them to meet, preferably somewhere neutral." < She glances over at the captain, and smiles faintly. > "If you would not mind, Captain? I can think of no place better than right here, if the Chancellery and Council are to come to terms."

[00:02] <Lorla> "Indeed, the only other place i might consider neutral is the royal church. But the guardhouse is more than adequate. i will speak on behalf of the councle Magistrate Takani." She nods.

[00:02] <Lucius`> "I am certainly agreeable to that." He'd lock them in a room together until they came to terms or one side killed the other, if he had to.

[00:02] Zesstra Riknueth> She let a soft sigh of relief escape her. It was nice to be agreed with, though she found herself wondering what, exactly, had drawn her into this. Perhaps it was that she so strongly disliked corruption. She made a note to herself to steer her sky patrols over the wharf district as well in the coming days. It would serve them well to have an idea of what they were up against.

[00:04] Zesstra Riknueth> Her sharp hearing, however, had picked up voices outside the door. She could not understand the words precisely, but no doubt she had heard the speaking. Shall we draw this to a close then? There is much work to be done...

[00:05] <Takani> "Good. Then that, at least, is a step. Granted, I have my doubts about Segovax, but I will attempt to assemble my fellows to a council of peace - No pun intended." < With a benevolent smile, she drew herself up straight for a moment, then bowed her head politely. > "Again, the Corporal is correct. I believe we are done here, for now?"

[00:06] * TierantDarkblight nods to the Lizardman, which no doubtly must be towering over him. "With any luck, The meeting shall conclude shortly. However, the Captain requested Privacy, and I will ensure it." He can't hear inside the door, so he doesn't actually know the meeting is wrapping up.

[00:06] <Lucius`> "Do your utmost, Your Honor, that is all any of us can do. I think we can bring this meeting to a close. Safe journey to you all, and may the gods be with you."

[00:06] <Lorla> "indeed. I am currently residing either at my home (and she would tell them where it is) or the royal church should things get nasty. I am also in the Inn from time to time. please keep me appraised."

[00:06] * Quetzocal simply nods and waits.*

[00:07] Zesstra Riknueth> I'll continue to do what I can in regards to the investigation, though I think it's safe to conclude it's a sham, at best. The Captain and I will be meeting with Vorfon Maessen in the near future. She made no move to stand, however.

[00:07] <Takani> "I still live in a long-term room at the inn, so like as not we may run into one another." < She answers, then turns to head for the door, clearing assuming the meeting as at an end. >

[00:08] * Lorla nods at Takanil. "if you can, please talk to magistrate Ketara. She may be a valuable ally." She pulls her cloak close again and looks to the captain and the guard. "May the gods watch over you two, and your people. the same to you magistrate Takani."

[00:2] <Takani> "May Kahooli, though his blessings are distant and strained at present, continue to watch over my efforts." < She answers as she... presumably unlocks the door and leaves or something. >
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Khannin
Author: adragh
14 November 2003

Khannin did not believe his absence would be especially noticed. Not that it mattered. He did not believe that he could be found. In fact, it had taken him all this time to figure out exactly where he was. Well, actually, most of the time he hadn't actually been aware. But whatever drugs had coursed through his veins were now depleted; and he knew with a horrible certainty that the abuse and torture were not only real but common occurrences in this horrible internment.

It was a place bereft of sunlight; a place bereft of hope; a place where screams of agony mingled with screams of ecstasy. But the ecstasy belonged to the patrons, not the accursed suppliers. Of which he was but one. The patrons paid high fees for their access the wretched captives. After all, they sometimes had to get rid of a corpse or two. But this was the Wharf District and almost anything was possible here. So he'd been told.

But now, the clients were fleeing the dismal edifice in droves. And their screams were those of desperation and fear, for flames licked hungrily even as they devoured the flea-bitten tapestries that hung mockingly upon the decaying walls. Stone does not burn. But only the building was stone. It's fixtures were wood and cloth. Khannin was trapped inside the room, bound only by one arm from the hook that dangled from the ceiling. The session had been interrupted. But that meant he had his other hand free and he was working on that most stubborn of knots. Why had the female been so adept at her knots?! Who would have thought a noble lady would know how to tie so well? He screamed in frustration. He would have cursed except no curses came to mind.

But then he felt the hot floor slam into his shoulder and he realised he'd gotten free and fallen. At the same time, the door to the chamber disintegrated as a wall of flames exploded inward. He didn't think. He simply acted, flinging himself away. There was a window of sorts, an opening to the dank air of the slums. He flung himself out through it. A moment later, hard pavement broke his fall.

Khannin scrabbled to his feet and was several blocks away before he realised two things. One, he was in terrible pain and bleeding. Two, he was naked and it was daytime.

The first, he could do nothing about. The second, well, he'd have to find something before he was arrested and surely there were rags somewhere... But perhaps he'd better hide and wait til night fell before attempting such thievery...
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Unto Captain von Stahl - Tarn Harscon
Author: Brian Rue
14 November 2003

Captain,

I write you now to ask if a cabinet of pompous, liberal dictators that time and again work against the very lives of the common citizenry of Drache, is worth loyal men's spilled blood. Take a moment to think about it all. You've sided with men and women who insist upon grating citizenship to an undead guilty a thousand times over of murder. Time and again they've dabbled in these creature's rights, giving them an inch here or there, and what happens? The lives of our men and families are put in even greater jeapardy as more undead swarm down on the city like an unholy beacon.

As I'm sure you've seen, the men have had enough. They're willing to take up arms against whoever stands in the way of finally cleansing Drache of these parasites and their sympathizers. We've both fought for the same things. We've both lost friends and family to this scourge. I hope, Captain, that you realize our motives and consider where you personally stand, all obligations aside.

Are you ready to order your men to take arms against mine to back a council that's done nothing but detriment our very lives? Because we're ready to fight these betrayers of humanity to our ends, are you and yours really prepared to do the same? The system doesn't work, Captain, and this is the oppertunity to finally make things right, and finally take the means to protect the people.

You're fighting for abominations like Vlorress, Captain. How strong will your men stand once they realize the truth?

Don't bring it to that. You've still got the time to stand down. The Chancellory will set to right where this council of traitors has failed.

I can only hope, Captain, that you don't allow yourself to be drug around like a dog on a leash and finally do what's right for this city.

Me enxenim,

Tarn Harscon
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Love the Fear
Author: S C
14 November 2003

Morrow had gone out again, wandering aimlessly it seemed, yet she always had a purpose in her actions. She had felt so bloody restless these past days, as though her body and mind were ready for a war that was taking too long to start. It was why she had gone and senselessly killed those random peasants the night past, she just couldn't control the need for massacre any longer. She didn't want to. It had been hidden away and pent up for so many years now, that the rage was boiling under her snowy skin, aching to be let free at any moment.

She had indeed been feeding upon Shallara's thoughts once more, drifting in and out of them as she could, and catching bits of pieces of that Childe's mind. Most of all she could taste the fear that existed in her now as it hadn't before, and she had placed it there as a sweet reminder of the pain that could come at any time. The first taste of that lovely fear in Shallara's mind filled Morrow with a purely sadistic sense of amusement and laughter, yet when she felt the rush of rage and hate that came so soon after, she paid more mind to the young Childe.

She had begun to wander the streets again, through the woods and the city, her mind open to the sense of Shallara, in hopes of finding her dwelling once and for all. She figured it would be best to know just where the girl lived, should she need to find her.. for whatever reason.

With eyes closed and mind open, she let the woman's thoughts guide her as they may, needing no other senses to find her now. And as she got closer and closer to that home, the thoughts became more and more vivid in translation, and soon she would see them for what they fully were.

Dreams.. some of them.. And my what dreams this young one had. Filled with lust and desire for Morrow's husband, for her Sire, and absolute hate and loathing for Morrow herself.

Oh how this was enough to drive her temper soaring, and as she reached the house that Shallara lived in, she was already shuddering with the sick desire to simply rip the woman to bloody shreds. Over and over her mind tried to convince herself that it was what she should do.. how she -needed- to destroy something.. and Shallara seemed quite deserving, especially right now. With those wicked little thoughts in that Childe's mind, how dare she!

The rage seeped into her vision, turning her eyes a flickering swirl of black and crimson, so alien like and unreal. Teeth clenched hard, tips piercing into her lower lip and producing sweet droplets of pale blue blood. The taste of her own essence drove that wild need for destruction up further, and she had to brace herself between two trees to keep herself steady.

The only thing holding her back, was the knowing that this was Aeren's childe. His. He had made her what she is today, and she simply could not destroy the Childe because of it. Unless her rage became more than even she could handle, she would hold off on her want to disembowel Shallara.

And it was becoming increasingly difficult.. So close to the girl now, she could see those thoughts and dreams so clearly, as if they were her own. And seeing Shallara's desires towards her husband, seeing how much she -hated- Morrow and wished her wretched demise, the rage was building like an unstoppable climax.

The technique she used in penetrating Shallara's mind, cloaked her own in a way that ensured she would not be detected until she wished to be. And now was that time.

Slowly, Morrow's form began to shift and change in the darkness, the sickening sound of bone and cartilage shifting and twisting into new forms echoed about her as she stood so near the home of the Childe.

When all was said and done, the woman stood in transformation, something that would scare the living daylights out of anyone, surely.

Standing now at 8'5, her skin a deep reddish black, almost charred, and her eyes burn purest silver. Two huge leathery black wings erupt from her back, tearing her flesh as though they are newborn, her spine also lined with metallic looking spikes. Her appearance becomes rather demonic, long steel claws extending from her fingertips and toes like talons, and one might wonder how the word 'angel', could ever come into contact with this creature. Wears only a silver chain mail tank top and loincloth, that barely cover her heavily muscled body, she would draw in slow, purposeful breaths..

The change was painful, but the pain was absorbed and turned into even more rage, fuelling the crazed beast.. Yet she did not approach. She did not come for her.

Instead, Morrow opened her mind fully to Shallara's, breaking through any barriers the woman might try to put up, should she know how. And there she would turn that wicked silvery gaze upon Shallara's, as though looking into the woman's very soul... Slow steps urged her towards the front door, and there she would hover, breathing a low, sickening growl that would drift it's way through wood and fill the woman's abode.

In Shallara's mind's eye, she would see Morrow standing at her front door, looming like some Hell's demon, come for her very soul this night.

~* You're a bad.. bad girl Shallara...*~

Morrow's voice was heavily distorted, so low and liquid, echoing through the Childe's mind like a taint.

~* I see you're wants... I see you're desiresss.. And I see you... Shallara...*~

A low, drawn out hiss would emanate from her, charred looking lips drawn back to reveal rows of razor teeth, all but dripping with a hungry drool. Those teeth, like the spikes upon her form, seemed somehow metallic in nature.

~* I know how you want him... I have seen your tongue in his mouth as you dream your sweet.. little dreamsss..*~

A low, rumbling laughter would rise up in her throat, one huge, talon-ed hand coming to rest at either side of the closed door in front of her.

~* And I see your pure loathing for me.. Dear Shallara...*~

That voice became so sickenly sweet, that it was made all the more maniacal, mixed with that low, liquid and beastial tone.

~* Oh yesssss... I see your blades.. I know where you wish to put them.. I know... yesssss...*~

Another slow laugh would rise up in her, one hand moving to the surface of the door, one metallic talon reaching out to drag across the wood, etching a large marking into it's surface. A large X, that seeped with something acidic, starting to eat through the wood in places.

~* What will you do Shallara.. When I come for you... What will you do...? *~

Her hand suddenly pulled back and smashed abruptly into the door, indenting heavily in the center of the X. And Morrow would grin that hideously frightening grin once more, silver eyes blinking once. Everything, captured in Shallara's mind, as though she stood right before the psychotic creature.

~* We shall sssssee... Soon enough.. We shall ssssee... ~* A low chuckle would drip from her open maw... ~* And I do look forward to the day... Don't you Ssshallara...*~

Her head would fall back as her hands raised into fists, and Morrow would let out the most guttural, bone shaking howl of a sound, something purely borne of another world. Nothing of this world could sound so sickening.. so unearthly and hellish. Her head would right with a snort, and her form would begin to shift back into that of her former.. and much more pleasant looking self. Though that wicked grin would remain, her thoughts still held to Shallara's, her eyes seemingly on the woman's own.

~* Night night Shallara.. Watch those dreams now... Because I'll be watching you. *~

And with a kiss to her palm, she'd blow it Shallara's way, offering her a sweet smile as she turned on her heel and made off into the darkness, laughing in pure amusement and not seeming to mind just now that she hadn't gotten to rip anyone to pieces.

There was always time for that, and this pure sense of fear she wished to put in Shallara's mind and heart, seemed all the more amusing right now.Morrow was like the sickest, most disturbing and frightening dream one could ever have. The kind of nightmare that could make your heart stop in your sleep.

And it was so much fun.
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Declaration Unto the People of Drache
Author: Blake Murphy
14 November 2003

*Copies of Eppilus' letter to the people would not only be nailed to doors and walls, but also sent to his fellows among the magistry, merchants operating in the city, and a number of the higher-ranking officials among the Royal Guard.*

People of Drache,

I, the Honourable Segovax ul-Ambixus Eppilus, in the year 473, declare that the Regency Council is henceforth disbanded. Though many among you may question the legality of this, I find it prudent--nay, necessary--that such action be taken.

The Council, in attempting to grant citizenship, was unanimously refused by myself and my fellow Magistrates, the action declared illegal. As a consequence of this order, the Council is disbanded.

The matter remains that there is, in fact, no Council in the city to disband, at this moment. One among their number hews to the north, another in Mhernettla, the last's whereabouts are currently unknown. And so, in order to ensure that Drache continues to be governed by those present within the city, the Council is dissolved. The Chancellery will govern Southern Arangoth until a new government can be formed.

As to the actions of my fellow, Lytia Seward: Seward's kidnapping of Councillor Reizeau is illegal, paramount to treason, and for her crimes I both disavow Seward of any connection to the Chancellery, and place a bounty of three hundred Crowns on her, to be paid when Tespin Seward is presented alive to the Royal Guard in the city. Should any harm befall Reizeau due to or in connection with the bounty and apprehension of Tespin Seward, she and all who assist her will be held accountable, and receive their due punishment accordingly.

I remain a loyal servant of the people of Drache. May the light of Menxvan be upon us all, and guide us in this our hour of darkness.

Me enxenim,

Segovax ul-Ambixus Eppilus
Magistrate of Drache

*seal affixed*
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Another Declaration
Author: Alexander Wood
14 November 2003

[A number of these pamphlets are posted around Drache]

Colleagues, citizens of Drache,

I stand accused of kidnapping a Councilor. In truth, I have only performed an arrest, which is a duly constituted facet of my legal authority in this city. My colleague, Segovax Eppilus, has decided to simply abandon what the Chancellory can legally do and declare the Chancellory to be a governing body of the city of Drache, declaring the council to be a non-entity. In effect, he has kidnapped the Royal authority, taking the laws of the King and shredding them.

With a heavy heart, I therefore have no choice but to accuse him of high treason, and place a bounty of four hundred crowns upon his head. I ask that the Royal Guard support me in this endeavor, and to each member of it I would ask to consider this proposition: you have sworn to uphold the king's laws, as I have. My recent actions have been shady, perhaps, but within the scope of the law. Segovax's presumptuous declaration is outside that scope. I have bent the laws, perhaps. He has broken them.

The definition of a criminal is one who breaks the laws.

The definition of treason is the offense of attempting to overthrow the government to which the offender owes allegience.

I ask of all the readers: of myself and Segovax, which of us has taken actions that fall into these definitions?

Lytia C. Seward
Magistrate of Drache
Jayne
Viscount
Lucinda Darke
Nixlya Silkire
Apple/Faedre
Inessa Deathsong
Kaitlyn

Post by Jayne »

Another Declaration
Author: Blake Murphy
14 November 2003

In the solar in his home, Segovax was approached by one of his stewards, the elderly Drachean native bearing a letter for him.

Accepting the letter, he waved away the shambling old gentleman, and stood, pacing his solar as he read. Upon reaching the end of the letter, Segovax smiled, and chuckled--a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear it, as it were.

Segovax threw the letter into his fireplace, and watched the paper curl and blacken, seating himself at his desk once more and taking up quill.

He had more important matters to attend to.